View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 08:23 AM   #13
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The story from Tass

I recall all those live webcam chats the community had with Synth -- he seems like a genuinely cool guy who works hard, but I do agree that his financial management and staff interaction style needs improvement(/to exist).

I can also speak here from experience with respect to being ignored -- there was a small window of time in the past when I helped Synth code a converter for a 5-key game using the pre-existing code (which did take some work because the pre-existing code was not the greatest). Synth was well aware of my financial/technical/academic background and education; we were in talks for a while for a position on the site, but after a while he just stopped talking to me and never returned any of my attempts to contact him, which is hugely silly, as I've helped even very-successful firms in the past generate a LOT of value.

Aside from my own personal gripes, I have to also wonder why Tass wasn't leveraged as much as he could have been. The guy's obviously very good at marketing and taking initiative, considering that he's been able to aggressively make contacts with various Flash developers/communities for his walkthrough business and even include FFR in those talks over at San Fran, which is huge (those conferences act as the pulse of the Flash communities... it doesn't really get much more direct). Also it blows my mind that Synth didn't push forward with Konami.

I'm sure Synth has his own side to the story -- my guess is that he was more focused on prioritizing his personal finances/family (such as his diabetic son) as opposed to dumping efforts into the site. From an economic standpoint though, it is financially irrational to not consider business deals that are clearly positive-NPV. If he didn't have the time/energy to handle them, then that's when you hire more people or optimize task allocation among pre-existing staff members. Either way, communication is key, and that was clearly not present here.

It's not like it's impossible to get FFR rolling again, either. But, again, the ball's in Synth's court, so hopefully he notices Tass' post and gives his side of the story.

This post is dedicated to Third Style. RIP, lol.

Last edited by MrRubix; 11-13-2009 at 11:35 AM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote