View Single Post
Old 07-3-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: What stops me doing wrong in a materialistic universe?

Society as we know it has formed over time as a way to provide humans a way to live well. Society falls apart if we go around killing people at will, and so the system needs a way to punish those that disturb the peace and cause damage.

So, nothing's stopping you from killing anyone, but realize that there are simply going to be consequences. If I go kick over some kid's sand castle, I can't be so surprised if he starts chasing me with a shovel or something.

Society is made up of everyone involved, and they'd all rather work together and have better lives collectively as opposed to killing each other off in needless, unproductive genocides. If people are going to screw around, society's going to put them back in their place. If someone spams the crap out of these forums, they're going to be punished, for instance. Sure, it might be fun for us to go around spamming and causing chaos at our whim, but it disturbs the environment that is otherwise trying to produce something of value to all involved, and detracting from that is just making yourself a target for punishment.

I don't believe there's any objective meaning in the universe, no, but we are humans and we are able to feel utility, as well as the lack of it, and we're lucky enough to be able to make rational decisions. You find out real quick that being free to do whatever you want means others will do the same back, and so it's better for everyone to cooperate and build. Deviants are just hindering those efforts, and so they'll be dealt with.

Last edited by MrRubix; 07-3-2009 at 05:00 PM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote