View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #2089
stavie33
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: R1 - Actual Song Difficulties V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
Right now I have 10 clean FMO FCs... but I think I'd have to be a lot better than I am now to FC every FMO or SDB any FGO [actually, wait, I have 8 boos on Ketsarku, but that doesn't count]. Your definitions are a bit off from each other.

I kind of agree with you there; however the VC songs with a lot of AAAs are typically not easy but rather "straightforward". By that I mean they're easy-to-read patterns (mostly stream and jumps) at a rather slow speed. So as long as you can keep on the beat and you can read/hit the notes, it shouldn't be all that difficult to AAA those songs. On the other hand, stuff like Synth files and TGWP (and piano files in general) is really tough to AAA because it's not at all straightforward - you have to basically be able to read the notes individually, and just keeping on the beat won't cut it. Files like those are often much easier than VC level in terms of raw difficulty (as in the speed and reading ability required to FC them) but quite tough to AAA because no matter how good you are at reading and hitting standard stream/jumpstream/jump/jack patterns you still have to be able to PA individual notes with pretty much random placements, which is IMO a separate skill which players won't get from just practicing stream songs. So... yeah, I'd definitely say a song like BB Euro or Cutting Circles is harder than SSSG or Legend of Zelda, but in some sense it's easier to AAA.

In addition, I think songs that are easier than VC actually have fewer AAAs than they deserve. What I mean is that if you put a specific song into FFR, and call it a low VC, it will have many more AAAs in a year than if you had called it a high C. I've noticed this a lot between Cs and VCs of similar difficulty and length. I think one reason is that songs of VC difficulty or higher look difficult enough to be worth trying, so people who have previously played SM and come to FFR are much more likely to give those a shot (and possibly AAA them) than to try easier songs. In addition a lot of VC+ songs are in the tier point list, so there's a real incentive for any player who CAN AAA a given VC+ to do it, whereas only some players will be willing to go AAA a random C (the same players who go AAA all the easy songs).
Completely agree, and a big reason that synth songs aren't AAA'd as much is that many good players and pro's don't like playing easy songs at all, as it's boring, I was that way until one week I had nothing to do so I tried to AAA every song I could. But a lot of them, like TC Halogen, Minacious, and many, many more could easily AAA them but don't because it's not fun and the files suck. I bet that nearly half the people that have 1 or more VC AAA's could AAA any of the synth files if they took the time, but no one wants to, and that's why they have such a small AAA count.
You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
Turning me round (Oh Oh)
Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)
stavie33 is offline   Reply With Quote