View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Goodbye Framers!

Well, you guys heard it on the front page - this is has some pretty serious ramifications for FFR from what I can tell. If you haven't seen the front page, then open your eyes, because getting avmissed on framers is now a thing of the past once the Beta is released to the public. For now, I guess this will be considered the public version of the subscriber thread "The Greatest Night in the History of Our Sport."

It's clearly going to change the level of difficulty of a lot of songs in FFR - in fact, I can potentially see a new ranking system needing to be developed for songs since framers are no longer an issue. What was once an FMO will probably be Very Challenging now...who knows? What's the new FGO going to be like? One can only imagine...

And what about stats? Average rank is still a good tool to measure player's skill by, but I can guarantee there will be a sharp increase in the number of players with average ranks under 500 once the Beta is released to the public...don't forget about the effect this now has on Tier Points as well.

There just might have to be a major system overhaul with this new flash revolution. Should we separate these new scores from the old scores? Is it right to include these new scores and integrate them with the old, essentially erasing any previous milestones gained on the song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimerax View Post
One of the most worthy historical things is the score database that has been continued for 4.3 years (you guys should realize how long it is for a internet game).

Other released features like Color Notes/Autofail/Speed Mods didn't break of those score compatibility, but av-miss fix DOES. And I think it makes 2nd style a completely different game (of course in a good meaning).

Plus I think av-miss feature has also historical worthiness if things like blue note files have, and shouldn't be completely removed from this entire site.
So, while there is an argument for keeping avmisses in respect to their historical FFR significance, a counter argument can be made that with FFR being such a combo-oriented game, is it right to penalize someone for not being accurate by knowing when to hit on early frames in a jack - and the result being a lost combo?

Xelius' flash work has also opened up new doors in the stepping world, those songs that were always considered taboo because their BPM's were too high are now fair game. With no worries of being avmissed, anything is possible...that is, as long as it goes to the music. Step artists will now have an extra tool for their files - one can hope this will add not only technicality, but hopefully some fun to new files.

Even though us public kids don't have access to the Beta yet, I've already seen what it can do. People of typical and unsuspecting skill are FCing songs like Molto Vivace and FPC'ing songs like 100 Bar Blackout. That in itself is something that most people probably have never envisioned - all perfects on 100 Bar Blackout?! NO WAY. Oh, yes. Yes, indeed.

So, what do you guys think about this? Will FFR legacy be destroyed, or is there a bright new future for FFR without avmisses? Personally, I'm happy to see that a fix can be implemented, but is now the right time to do so? How will this effect the game we've all come to know and love, avmisses included?

Please discuss this topic with me, include your thoughts, opinions, gripes, whatever! I want to see what the community has to say.

devonin has kindly opened a poll for me so everyone can vote on what they think. Please utilize the poll, for it is public so everyone can see where members stand.

Last edited by foilman8805; 01-28-2008 at 11:17 PM..
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote