View Single Post
Old 08-2-2007, 07:08 PM   #114
Kilroy_x
Little Chief Hare
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kilroy_x
Default Re: Public Schools - Bad for American Students?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
The nature of the inequality does matter.
Yes it does. Inherent inequality doesn't have any human impositions of adverse conditions; involuntarily caused inequality does. Human impositions are under human control, genetic, biological, and many other things are not. Moreover starting conditions are not equivalent to impositions.

Quote:
Its perfectly coherent to say that I don't want genetic equality, yet I don't want to be suppressed because I was born poor.
It isn't, because what you are describing is not suppression.

Quote:
Oh, that's right, everyone in a free market has equal opportunity, because its apparently all equal if I've got to only eat 1 meal a day for my kid to go to school, while the family a street down looses their pocket change.
What you are describing is inequality of resources, not of opportunity. Equality of opportunity can only be coherently described as the ability of individuals to develop and utilize their person and property, by voluntary means, to the maximum extent they desire without interference. A free-market satisfies this.

At any rate, what you are describing would almost certainly never occur in a truly free market. If you want to know why, then you can try reading and understanding either what I have written or the books I have suggested to you.

Quote:
What's irrelevant to you is relevant to me.
That's because you don't understand what you're talking about.

Quote:
It boils down to ideology, like I said in the first place.
If there are ideological elements in my statements, at least my ideology is based on fact. In fact because of this it can be said that the issue boils down to fact. Presumably if you desire famine and death you might advocate a statist market, Rothbard even directly conceded this.

Quote:
There's no point in arguing the issue anymore.
There was never a point in the first place because you never intended to learn anything

Quote:
Furthermore, you've put words into my mouth twice now, along with turning into a jerk.
I've been a jerk forever. If I put words in your mouth I suppose it was in an effort to sanitize it, with with all the gibberish coming out of it.

Last edited by Kilroy_x; 08-2-2007 at 07:40 PM..
Kilroy_x is offline   Reply With Quote