Old 04-9-2007, 10:21 PM   #22
slipstrike0159
FFR Player

Location: In the shadows behind you with my assassin's blade waiting to strike
Send a message via MSN to slipstrike0159
Default Re: Homosexual Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz View Post
alright, i was just pointing out the absurdity of comparing modern times to the middle ages where the crown was controlled by the church, not to mention conscription to force people into the military to fight this war.

making gay marriage legal is not an attempt to fix the problems of current marriage beyond its problem of exclusivity. i wouldn't ever say something like, "let's make gay marriage legal, because then nobody would ever get divorced again, or at least no gay people would ever get divorced." people just need to sign prenuptial agreements, which doesn't happen so much because of the inherent inferred lack of trust.
I wasnt saying that someone said that it would be a good reason BECAUSE it would fix problems of abuse. Although, you cant say that while congress is on the topic of marriage and a benefit reconstruction that they wouldnt even just THINK about making a few changes in traditional marriage agreements. In this way i could see that for some people it would play out as being a reason to come up with a solution for those problems AS WELL AS a solution for getting rid of exclusion.

Also, i wouldnt underestimate the church. If they tell all their members that Homosexuality should be shunned then i am sure that with its millions of members it would have some sway towards the advancement of homosexuals as a whole. That is not to say that it would overturn the government or even rebel for that matter, im just sure it would create some sort of extra tension on the issue that could produce a few issues of violence. Knowing that the church really cant do anything to stop congress from enforcing the peoples freedom rights this country stands on, the only type of damage they could do is with the individuals themselves who could use it as some sort of discrimination.