View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 12:25 AM   #957
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom
Default Re: The Wii is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Seth, Strikes are just 10 (since you just knocked down ten) + your next two shots. If you get a strike followed by a 1 and 2, it's 13. If you get a strike followed by a 10 and a 2, it's 22. Just add up all three shots.

Vash's statement is wrong though, since you cannot get a Spare in one shot. If you get a strike followed by a spare, it's 20 points added into the frame with the strike (10 on the strike and 10 for the spare), but your Spare score is still unfinished. It would be 10 plus whatever the next shot is. If it's a strike, it'd be 10+10 again.

Perfect game is all strikes, obviously. Here's how the scoring would work.

Frame 1: 10 + next two
Frame 2: 10 + next two, previous frame is 20 + next one.
Frame 3: 10 + next two, pre-previous frame is 30, previous frame is 20

Continue the pattern. Each frame is 30 points. 30 * 10 = 300, a perfect game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0x-gro9Vy8

That might help. It's also proof of someone getting a perfect game in Wii Bowling. It is a little counter-intuitive (to me at least) since the math makes it 330. It's 300 though.
No, it's not. The 10th frame is ONE frame. Only reason they add onto each other in the other frames is because they are separate frames. And why'd you say 10 for your examples? That could mean a spare. :P

Seth: Strikes (X) count the next 2 throws onto it. Spares (/) count the next 1 throw onto it. The only situation where it's different is in the final (10th) frame. Dashes will represent 0. Spaces will represent a separate frame, okay?

X 9/ 9- X X 81 6/ -2 X XX8

First frame, X: 10 + next two throws (9 and 1) = 20
Second frame, 9/: 10 + next throw (9) = 19
Third frame, 9-: 9+0 = 9
Fourth frame, X: 10 + next two throws (10 and 8) = 28
Fifth frame, X: 10 + next two throws (8 and 1) = 19
Sixth frame, 81: 8+1 = 9
Seventh frame, 6/: 10 + next throw (0) = 10
Eighth frame, -2: 0+2 = 2
Ninth frame, X: 10 + next 2 throws (10 and 10) = 30
Tenth frame, XX8: 10+10+8 = 28

Total: 174

Tenth frame is different because it's 3 throws instead of 2 if you get a spare in the first 2 throws or a strike in the first throw. If you get a strike, you continue on and have a new set of pins. If you get another strike, you get a third set of new pins. If you don't, you continue where you left off (i.e., trying to pick up a spare). Strikes and spares in this frame do not add onto each other. But if you notice, they do add onto the previous frames if applicable. The reason this is because the 10th frame is just one frame but the throws in it are still considered separate throws (apart from the ones in the frame in relation to each other, because it's the same frame).

Get it?

I think of it this way a lot... A strike on top of a strike gains a frame. Pins on top of a spare keep it the same. Open frames (ones without a strike or a spare) lose a frame. Get it? Or if you like golf: strike+strike+pins = birdie, spare+pins = par, open frame = bogie.

X X -8 is what I call wasting the strike. You only get 20 for the first one (10+10+0). It's the same as if I got a X 6/ 8-.

9/ -4 is what I call wasting a spare. The first is only a 10 (10+0).

Open frames, wasting opportunities, and not at least doubling up a few strikes can lead to a low game.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote