Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   How do I flunk a sleep apnea test? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=148392)

SkiAdcocke 10-31-2017 10:16 AM

How do I flunk a sleep apnea test?

My doctor insists I take this test. I know I will not use the frickin scuba apparatus, since I was incapable of wearing a simple TMJ bite guard through the night in the 90s. So I have to make it through a sleep apnea test somehow, and my guess is that I simply have to stay awake. But that could be ignorant. Are there Dopers that have taken the test that could give me some insight?

Dynam0 10-31-2017 10:40 AM

Re: How do I flunk a sleep apnea test?

We're experts at moving our fingers very fast, sorry dude wrong forum :(

Travis_Flesher 10-31-2017 11:10 AM

Happy Halloween champ!
I made this short youtube video for ya because I think it's relevant. I guarantee you can beat the heck out of sleep apnea if you set your mind to it.

Reach 11-1-2017 11:17 AM

If you legitimately have sleep apnea you are going to want it treated. Why would you want to fake the test results.

Having many episodes is a serious health problem. Take your Doctor's advice. As someone that regularly treats people with sleep apnea, deal with this now before it gets worse.

My first question would be: Are you obese?

Also,there are sometimes physiological reasons for sleep apnea that can be remedied with surgery, so an inability to wear a CPAP machine does not necessarily mean you can't be treated.

andy-o24 11-1-2017 12:25 PM

I thought you did dentistry, Reach. Do dentists treat sleep apnea?

-o24

Reach 11-1-2017 01:36 PM

Depends on the severity, but yes. I get asked about it a lot and simple jaw repositioning splints can be fabricated for mild cases. A CPAP machine is outside of my wheelhouse and is the gold standard for more serious cases, but so can be jaw repositioning surgery, which is performed by an oral surgeon typically in conjunction with a dentist.

At the end of the day it comes down to airway pressure, as the apneas are caused by collapse of the airway during sleep. In many cases this is obesity related or related to troublesome position of the jaw. The CPAP machine fixes the airway pressure problem but often times will leave the cause of the collapse untreated. It's all on a case by case basis.

dadcop2 11-1-2017 03:34 PM

what you basically said was: i'd rather die in my sleep than wear scuba gear in my sleep

Travis_Flesher 11-1-2017 07:18 PM