Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Teenager jailed for sarcasm, faces up to 10 years in prison (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=130909)

Nick Skyline 07-7-2013 09:37 PM

Teenager jailed for sarcasm, faces up to 10 years in prison

I AM DEAD SERIOUS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ide-watch.html

I know this is a little late, but what in the name of all that is fucking holy is wrong with the world I live in with all of you people? This man was jailed for a joke he made while playing League of Legends one day, that was mis-interpreted by one player as a terrorist-level threat...who then tracked down where he lived and reported him to the cops.

I've read about stupid things happening on the internet, and how they took the cake and ate it. As of this writing, there is officially no cake left in the world because whoever reported this guy to the authorities ate it all.

Carter's been behind bars for five months now, and his father seems to be very worried about him:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Carter
He's very depressed, very scared, and ... concerned that he's not going to get out...He's pretty much lost all hope.

Without getting into the really nasty details, he's had concussions, black eyes, moved four times from base for his own protection.

He's been put in solitary confinement, nude, for days on end because he's depressed. All of this is extremely traumatic to this kid. This is a horrible experience.

These people are serious. They really want my son to go away to jail for a sarcastic comment that he made.

Justin was the kind of kid who didn't read the newspaper. He didn't watch television. He wasn't aware of current events. These kids, they don't realize what they're doing. They don't understand the implications. They don't understand public space.

I just found out about this...not even one hour ago. I've heard of people that get called out for being a troll, a buzz-kill, a scrub, elitist, etc. Then there's taking something that someone said while playing a video game way too goddamn seriously. This is taking something that someone said while playing a video game way too goddamn seriously.

http://www.change.org/petitions/rele...cebook-comment // Here is a petition; go ahead and sign it.

rayword45 07-7-2013 09:46 PM

Re: Teenager jailed for sarcasm, faces up to 10 years in prison

Shouldn't the police also have arrested the guy for stalking? I swear there is a law about that but I forget it.

Charu 07-7-2013 09:48 PM

Oh yeah, so how DID the trial go for that guy? That article says there was to be a trial the beginning of this month.

Ohaider 07-7-2013 09:52 PM

Welp this is ritard

Tarrik 07-7-2013 09:55 PM

Heard about this a little while back. It's alright to troll once in awhile, have a go at your team mates and joke around and stuff, but his comment was a fairly serious one. I mean, who honestly jokes about that sort of shit? I support the fact he shouldn't be in jail, but damn he should have said something a little less..threatening.

And as for the fucker who tracked him down .. That's just sad. Someone needs a new hobby.

Izzy 07-7-2013 10:01 PM

Honestly, what the fuck. How can something like this even matter? How was it legal to invade his privacy in the first place to track him down?

Although this is probably just someone charging him, doubt they will win such a lawsuit.

Nick Skyline 07-7-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayword45 (Post 3934621)
Shouldn't the police also have arrested the guy for stalking? I swear there is a law about that but I forget it.

From what I understand, that comment he made on Facebook was the ONLY thing that got him arrested. And he went straight to jail.

The general response to that was "jk", "lol" typical internet fare, But some dumbass decided to take it far too seriously, even going past the point of requesting that Carter be banned from Facebook for a while. Said dumbass tracked down where he lived, and reported that information to the police, who then had him arrested and jailed. There was no courtroom trial from what I remember.

Also, the police in Austin, TX seem to be taking all Facebook comments seriously. I say that because of the Sandy Hook crisis that had happened two months prior. And from what I know, this reminded them of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charu (Post 3934622)
Oh yeah, so how DID the trial go for that guy? That article says there was to be a trial the beginning of this month.

It started on July 1st. I'll post a verdict whenever I get one.

Also, bail is a half million dollars and Carter's parents cannot afford to pay half of that. So a $50,000 donation goal was set up by a few people in an attempt to help him out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarrik (Post 3934628)
as for the fucker who tracked him down .. That's just sad. Someone needs a new hobby.

Fucking watchdogs. :-| How does that guy NOT get at least 3 years?

top 07-7-2013 10:05 PM

tarrik, it was a heated discussion and somebody called him crazy and messed up in the head, so he made a messed up joke. seems like perfectly sensible sarcasm.

sucks for him that people think fucking somebody's life up is a joke.

Izzy 07-7-2013 10:12 PM

I'll make a note never to step foot into texas again.

Charu 07-7-2013 10:17 PM

Okay, so I'm thinking about this and it just came to me.

99% of all Internet Users should be put in jail because they have jokingly said they were going to kill things.

Man... I don't even.

We're all criminals guys!

DossarLX ODI 07-7-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

He's been put in solitary confinement, nude, for days on end because he's depressed. All of this is extremely traumatic to this kid. This is a horrible experience.
This makes me want to puke

Also not to mention that prison has the worst kind of people and there are plenty of shankings that go on in that hellhole

Nick Skyline 07-7-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3934640)
I'll make a note never to step foot into texas again.

Good for you! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charu (Post 3934643)
99% of all Internet Users should be put in jail because they have jokingly said they were going to kill things.

I'd be behind bars in 2009 if this was true.

Jerry DB 07-7-2013 10:21 PM

you guys have no idea how much I hate the court system as it is...this helps fuel my hate and make me a better person somehow...I guess...grrr

Calcium Deposit 07-7-2013 10:22 PM

Saw this not too long ago on facebook, gf and I already signed the petition.

I wonder if there is going to be some sort of internet crusade to harass the living hell out of the canadian woman who got the kid in jail in the first place. I'd put on my sherlock holmes cap and pipe but the pipe is usually full of weed, NONETHELESS I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to track this person down and give them a taste of their own medicine.

omega_grunt666 07-7-2013 11:02 PM

This makes me so angry, I could just go out and shoot up a school full of kids. Lol, JK...

RagedBerserker 07-7-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega_grunt666 (Post 3934678)
This makes me so angry, I could just go out and shoot up a school full of kids. Lol, JK...

YOU FORGOT THE HEART EATING PART.... cmon man.

Charu 07-7-2013 11:04 PM

Wow, man, someone has to do something about that. We can't have someone go and shoot up a school.

RagedBerserker 07-7-2013 11:05 PM

I just got wind that Omega just got arrested. This makes me so angry that I might just go and shoot up a... oh wait. nvm.

omega_grunt666 07-7-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RagedBerserker (Post 3934682)
I just got wind that Omega just got arrested. This makes me so angry that I might just go and shoot up a... oh wait. nvm.

Its ok, I just explained Jeebus forgave me, and they didn't suspect me of THE SATANS because I didn't eat the hearts.

RagedBerserker 07-7-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega_grunt666 (Post 3934684)
Its ok, I just explained Jeebus forgave me, and they didn't suspect me of THE SATANS because I didn't eat the hearts.

SO smart. Damn. We need more people like you. WHY NOT BE ROLE MODELS FOR EARTH.