Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=117843)

Goldenwind 03-13-2011 03:43 PM

Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

I'm revising a résumé according to one of my professor's recommendations. I'm in the computer programming field, and she advised me to add another personal project to the paper.

I've written over 120 stepcharts, making use of audio software to cut and remix, Photoshop for backgrounds and banners, and StepMania for detail-oriented things like chart flow (I make pad charts; I need to make sure my patterns are plausible for pad-play), and synchronization (I aim for my charts to be quaddable, hence sync typically needs to be within 3 milliseconds).

Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

Xiaounlimited 03-13-2011 04:13 PM

Re: Do you feel stepcharts are résumé-worthy?

Absolutely not.

List relevant skills, not the fact you make stepfiles. Or you know, a real personal project.

Gundam-Dude 03-13-2011 04:13 PM

No.

Goldenwind 03-13-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited (Post 3434137)
Absolutely not.

List relevant skills, not the fact you make stepfiles.

The relevant skills being that I'm familiar with a number of fields, and can take care of a wide variety of tasks. Relevant skills are listed, this is as an extra, ie, "personal project".

One of the complaints of my professor is that I was focusing TOO much on the relevant skills. She asked me why my "interests" section didn't really have much in it. She says employers aren't hiring a skillset, they're hiring a person. Yes, maybe you can do the job, but are you well-developed as a person? Will people loathe your guts the moment you get in? In addition to relevant skillsets, they want to get an idea of who you are, so that at the very least, you don't blow up their workforce.

Does that change your opinion, or do you feel the same way?

foilman8805 03-13-2011 04:17 PM

I'm going to also have to say no. I think your stepcharting is merely a hobby.

Goldenwind 03-13-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude (Post 3434138)
No.

Alright. But why do you feel this way?

It's a legitimate answer, but it doesn't really help the discussion.

Xiaounlimited 03-13-2011 04:19 PM

I still feel the same way. Making stepfiles is easily accessible to anybody and an employer can't discern a "quality" file from a "bad" file. Quite frankly, I feel it's akin to saying you used a level editor in a Flash platformer to make custom stages and putting it on your resume, regardless of the extra few touches you used.

Certainly you have something else you can add that is more credible.

Xx{Midnight}xX 03-13-2011 04:28 PM

Be a baller

Do it.

who_cares973 03-13-2011 04:41 PM

I put it on my resume but I make it sound like it isn't putting arrows to music

Thatskier 03-13-2011 04:44 PM

I actually think you should do it, it shows dedication time and skill.

Just dont blowt about it like saying Iv written 120 STEPCHARTS! Just keep it simple.

They will think you are a nerd if you blowt.

Goldenwind 03-13-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3434155)
I put it on my resume but I make it sound like it isn't putting arrows to music

I haven't submitted my résumé anywhere yet, but I put it down as "Stepcharts are the choreographies, or sequences of arrows, used in Dance Dance Revolution software".

And then I put in a bit about cutting and remixing music, using Photoshop, and coding synchronization.

Lapris 03-13-2011 04:47 PM

I think you should but just write like "Familiar with audio software" or something.

iironiic 03-13-2011 04:48 PM

I would only put it if it is relevant for the position you are seeking. For me, it's not applicable.

alloyus 03-13-2011 04:48 PM

It'd be awesome if you did that.

leonid 03-13-2011 04:50 PM

I don't think it's worthy unless you are applying for Konami's stepcharting position or something
It *might* be a little bit relevant if you are pursuing music-related field, but this isn't the case for you either.

qqwref 03-13-2011 05:35 PM

I feel like the answer is in general no, but on the other hand charting is definitely a type of art which requires skill and technique and so on. So it would compare to a more obscure art form, like origami or CAD drawing or something. If you want to include it, try to phrase it in a way that emphasizes the creative and musical aspects, and downplay the dancing/DDR/nerdy aspects.

Patashu 03-13-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3434178)
I feel like the answer is in general no, but on the other hand charting is definitely a type of art which requires skill and technique and so on. So it would compare to a more obscure art form, like origami or CAD drawing or something. If you want to include it, try to phrase it in a way that emphasizes the creative and musical aspects, and downplay the dancing/DDR/nerdy aspects.

at first I thought 'absolutely not' but I can see this working. maybe

who_cares973 03-13-2011 05:37 PM

This would go under the personal part of the resume which means it doesn't have to be relevant to the job that you're applying for. I always put down that I was part of the varsity tennis team, a mathlete(in 5th grade but they don't need to know this part xd) and an artist(stepcharter would go under artist. Like I said I don't make it sound like I'm just putting arrows to music)

PlayTrumpet 03-13-2011 05:41 PM

Also, I might put emphasis on your familiarity and/or proficiency in audio editing/producing software - sounds more professional.

who_cares973 03-13-2011 05:48 PM

Hey CAD drawing is hardly obscure art.