Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anyone else live with an alcoholic? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=112640)

Cj_leonine 09-27-2009 07:37 PM

Anyone else live with an alcoholic?

My stepdad has been in a chair in front of the tv since Friday (now sunday) sleeping. He's only gotten up a few times to use the restroom, get more alcohol, and to get some food that he's half-eaten, only to shortly fall back asleep.

It's only a really bad thing because sometimes no one else is here to watch my younger siblings - 10, 6, and 4 years old. My mom works full-time at work from 1pm - 11pm almost everyday of the week and I'm usually off at school or somewhere else.

Somewhat lucky that I have my grandmother and uncles across the street who check up on us from time to time, but, it's still pretty pathetic.

It's been like this for about 2 years now.
=/

But the reasons why it's not a bad thing:
He's a diabetic which means him being an alcoholic will only contribute to his death faster.
He's pissing off my mom which contributes to my mom's will to divorce him.
His drunken behavior is giving me more reason to knock him out.

And we've tried a few things to get him to stop, so, at this point I kind of wish one of the things above would happen.

NFD 09-27-2009 07:37 PM

Re: Anyone else live with an alcoholic?

that's cool, you're 20.

DotKritic 09-27-2009 07:37 PM

Poke him with a stick.

NFD 09-27-2009 07:39 PM

Punch him in the dick.

foilman8805 09-27-2009 07:39 PM

Not to downplay your situation, but you're pretty lucky that all he does is sit in his chair.

Cj_leonine 09-27-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFD (Post 3241717)
that's cool, you're 20.

what's your point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DotKritic (Post 3241718)
Poke him with a stick.

Sounds good.

Quigly 09-27-2009 07:45 PM

Sorry about your current state of affairs leonine. I hope your family finds a way to make the situation better. =/
I'm pretty lucky that my parents are still together and have a strong relationship with each other.

who_cares973 09-27-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foilman8805 (Post 3241721)
Not to downplay your situation, but you're pretty lucky that all he does is sit in his chair.

yeah

korny 09-27-2009 07:47 PM

I think it's time for an intervention.

MrGiggles 09-27-2009 07:50 PM

Oh yeah my uncle is an insane alcoholic and smoker but he's really just funny more than anything else. I suppose we're both lucky they aren't angry drunks or abusive drunks.

Necamus 09-27-2009 07:51 PM

NFD 09-27-2009 07:59 PM

My mom used to be an alcoholic, back when we lived in Norfolk. She even went as far as to break my desktop in my room, by dropping it because she dropped something behind my desk. Sure it was an accident, but still. She's gotten better, and she has a few drinks only on the weekends, not including Sunday because there's this really retarded law in Indiana where you can't buy beer on Sundays.

Cj_leonine 09-27-2009 08:04 PM

He's only verbally abusive when he's like this. If he ever decides to become physically violent with anyone I'll probably end up breaking his arms.

NFD 09-27-2009 08:05 PM

Or you could not break his arms and not go to jail and get your family out of there if he attempted something like that.

A2P 09-27-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cj_leonine (Post 3241715)
But the reasons why it's not a bad thing:
He's a diabetic which means him being an alcoholic will only contribute to his death faster.
He's pissing off my mom which contributes to my mom's will to divorce him.
His drunken behavior is giving me more reason to knock him out.

These statements seem pretty sadistic and ill-mannered...but then again, being an alcoholic while you have a family to support is ten times worse than that so I understand the bitterness. :/

I hope your situation gets better soon bro. Sounds pretty dangerous for your siblings

vantilburg 09-27-2009 08:15 PM

I agree with a2p.. Try not to do anything rash. You might want the authorities on your side.
I understand completely though, sometimes I feel the same about my dad. But I don't think I'd hurt him. Although mainly because he's over twice my size...

Vanilla Mnm 09-27-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggles (Post 3241740)
Oh yeah my uncle is an insane alcoholic and smoker but he's really just funny more than anything else. I suppose we're both lucky they aren't angry drunks or abusive drunks.

Same here. My uncle lives here and he's an alcoholic and smoker, but he's just funny. He's never violent or anything.

Cj_leonine 09-27-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A2P (Post 3241772)
These statements seem pretty sadistic and ill-mannered...but then again, being an alcoholic while you have a family to support is ten times worse than that so I understand the bitterness. :/

Well, we've actually never got along at all. But, I just keep my distance from him. I'll usually be away from home or just stay in my room when I am home so nothing ever starts up between the two of us. And it's seemed to work for the last however many years without any conflict.

I figure, if my mom is married to him, I'll at least be civil regardless of how much I hate the guy.

GG_Guru 09-27-2009 08:33 PM

You know what you should do?

Take all of his alcohol then either:

1) Dump it out on the porch outside.

2) Drink it all with a couple of friends and party out (if you're a drinker) then have him notice and give him a reason to fight you then try to knock some sense into him.

or

3) Do absolutely nothing.

I'm just throwing out random **** you don't have to do any of this.

edit: He is your father though so the better choice would be to just talk to him about it.

phe0nixblade 09-27-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GG_Guru (Post 3241793)
You know what you should do?

Take all of his alcohol then either:

1) Dump it out on the porch outside.

2) Drink it all with a couple of friends and party out (if you're a drinker) then have him notice and give him a reason to fight you then try to knock some sense into him.

or

3) Do absolutely nothing.

I'm just throwing out random **** you don't have to do any of this.

4) Don't listen to Guru.

or

5) Don't listen to Guru.