Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   getting a smartphone & computer (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=123109)

hi19hi19 03-19-2012 03:53 AM

getting a smartphone & computer

Gonna be getting a smartphone soon, not sure what to get.
I'm still using this relic:

And both screens on mine are cracked and covered in tape lmao. Phone makes calls and sends texts, which was good enough for me for a while but I think it's time to update

I've never had a smartphone before so I'd love advice on what ~the internets~ reccomends.
btw I'm an Apple anti-fanboi at heart so unless you can make a really good argument for the iphone I'm probably not gonna get one.

I also want to try building a desktop computer. A few of my friends have and said it's pretty easy, much cheaper than buying pre-made, and a lot of fun. I've been saving for a while so I have a budget of around $1,000 to spend on this.
My goal is to get something that can play a pretty game like Skyrim or Kingdoms of Amalur on high settings, and remain relevant in terms of system specs for a few years.
Any tips/sites you can direct me to?

Staiain 03-19-2012 03:57 AM

Re: getting a smartphone & computer

I'd recommend a Samsung Galaxy S II, sick phone, and it is pretty sturdy, if you strip down some useless apps that comes with android OS you can have it on battery for like a week idle, which is good

Izzy 03-19-2012 04:10 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboB...t=Combo.828855

Go here and look at the parts of this computer. This will obviously run any game flawlessly, but you should just use it as a basis for the whole PC. Swap out parts of similar prices and performance and you'll end up with a good gaming machine within a 1000 dollar budget.

Just make sure your cpu and motherboard are compatible. You just need to check the cpu socket type which should be listed under specifications of both the cpu and the motherboard.

The first thing you could do is knock of a SSD since it is listed as having 2. I would also look for a case that you like best.

who_cares973 03-19-2012 04:34 AM

Get a galaxy nexus

euphoriakisses 03-19-2012 09:35 AM

I currently have the Samsung Galaxy Gio as a phone. It's a really great, fast, beneficial smartphone and definitely one of the cheapest ones on the market. It doesn't require data or anything like the HTCs phone and stuff. I actually really enjoy my phone but if I could have my way, I'd either own one of these phones: Galaxy Nexus, LG Optimus or the Samsung Note (...drool.)

If you're looking for a smartphone, you should probably invest in a superphone. A superphone is a phone with a dual-core processor, an HD screen (4.7inch screen), incredibly fast and highly responsive touch screen.

I'm quite impressed by how far technology has advanced over the years; with a smartphone, you don't even need to use your computer/laptop because you can pretty much do whatever (except play FFR, derp.)

Samsung Gio:

LG Optimus:

Samsung Note:

Reincarnate 03-19-2012 09:52 AM

I have a Galaxy Nexus and it's fantastic. I was debating between either that or a Samsung Galaxy S II back when I was upgrading my phone. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Trogdor!!!! 03-19-2012 09:58 AM

LMFAO how the hell do you still have a Razor? (at least I think that's what that is)

I have a Samsung Note and while I'm honestly not a big fan of Samsung, I do enjoy the phone a lot.

hi19hi19 03-19-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor!!!! (Post 3660506)
LMFAO how the hell do you still have a Razor? (at least I think that's what that is)

ya ita a motorola razr hehe

I don't know I just missed the whole like, get a smartphone train when it rolled through.
Noticing a lot of love for Galaxy Nexus so I went to see one at the store, looked cool but damn, way bigger than I was expecting
I'll check out Samsung Note as well... there's a retarded amount of options, hard to sort through all the differences

sticklydude 03-19-2012 10:09 AM

Depends on what cell carrier you're with/going with.

If carrier does not matter, you'd be crazy to not get the Galaxy Nexus.

MaxGhost 03-19-2012 10:21 AM

RAZR!!! Man those were legit back in the day.

I have an SGS2, but I'd get a Nexus if I was you, especially if you aren't gonna switch ROMs. The SGS3 is slated to come out sometime this summer, if rumours are true, so yeah. Sometimes for smartphones, it's not a bad thing to wait for the top of the line one to come out. I got my SGS2 on release day in Canada (online, **** long lineups) last summer. Seeing as SGS2 just got an ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, the new OS version for Android, which is INCREDIBLE btw) update, I can recommend the SGS2 more than before. I just hate TouchWiz, the UI overlay they have on it. You can fix that more-or-less by getting a custom launcher (you'll quickly find out all the lingo once you get an Android phone) to replace the stock one.

I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Android phones, so you can hit me up with more questions if you want. Also, don't feel afraid to get a big phone, bigger is literally better. Way easier to see wtf is on the screen, and to type, cause if the screen is bigger, the keyboard is bigger (touch screen keyboards and all). Camera is also a good spec to look at, the GN's is 5MP but has nearly 0 shutter delay, so it takes super fast photos, and the quality is quite good. The SGS2 has an extremely long shutter delay, like, almost a second long... but it has an 8MP camera and takes exceptional pictures in most conditions. Video is good on both. For most uses, the Nexus is more handy for the faster pictures imho.

Anyways, I don't know the best sites in the US for computer parts, but newegg is generally pretty good. If you were in Canada, I could recommend you a handful though. TigerDirect is decent as well, but not always the best.

Evnoir 03-19-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3660504)
I have a Galaxy Nexus and it's fantastic. I was debating between either that or a Samsung Galaxy S II back when I was upgrading my phone. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Pretty much this.
I have a HTC phone but it doesn't even compare to the Samsungs.
Galaxy Nexus is the way to go~
Also, iirc, the note was enormous even compared to the GN.

As for the computer, a grand can do you wonders.
Like Izzy said, just remember to check the socket type.

Helixia 03-19-2012 10:30 AM

I would recommend a Samsung Galaxy S II.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S Plus which is pretty nice too.
If you look for something cheaper go for the Samsung Galaxy Y.

Sorry i'm a Samsung fan girl on smartphones and televisions...

MaxGhost 03-19-2012 10:35 AM

Sammy <3

Seriously, Samsung gives me the biggest hard-on sometimes, they make the coolest things. Their commercials for the SGS2 are GOLD. It's so funny. They directly bash the iPhone, it's hilarious.

Bluearrowll 03-19-2012 10:51 AM

I'm not alone!

Hi5 Hi1919 This is my current phone

Motorolae unite :D

Crashfan3 03-19-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staiain (Post 3660455)
I'd recommend a Samsung Galaxy S II, sick phone, and it is pretty sturdy, if you strip down some useless apps that comes with android OS you can have it on battery for like a week idle, which is good

The Galaxy S II is an incredible phone (or so I've heard) if you can afford it. I can't so I'm going for the LG Optimus Slider once I get the money. I'm still using one of the first-generation touch screen phones from 2007, the battery life on this thing is atrocious.

Reincarnate 03-19-2012 03:01 PM

Yeah the Nexus is on the big side but I actually consider that a plus. I hate small screens with hard-to-see text and buttons that I have to repress constantly because it mis-detects what I want to do. Typing is loads easier on the bigger phones.

Besides, the Nexus still fits in my pocket just like any other phone I've owned. I honestly never use it and think, "Ho damn this is huge." Now it just feels natural/normal and everything else feels like a small POS.

MrGiggles 03-19-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 3660454)
Any tips/sites you can direct me to?

http://tinyurl.com/falconguide is always great for starters. Beyond that you can just dick around on newegg and Tom's Hardware until you see a piece of hardware at a price you like.

btw the Razr was one a raddest phones around for a really long time and still maintains a pretty decent Swag Rating™ (SR).

Mau5 03-19-2012 03:23 PM

HTC

But, I am a hardcore Droid fan, i love it.
I recommend Droid incredible over everything. But, if you don't mind the monstrous 4.3 inch screen (badass), Droid X is pretty good too

00Razor00 03-19-2012 03:39 PM

ah I remember I was cool cause I had the red motorola razr (which you could only get on Sprint) hahaha

I currently have an HTC EVO 3D, pretty cool phone, if you're looking for something that'll last you a while.

sticklydude 03-19-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mau5 (Post 3660649)
HTC

But, I am a hardcore Droid fan, i love it.
I recommend Droid incredible over everything. But, if you don't mind the monstrous 4.3 inch screen (badass), Droid X is pretty good too

outdated, outdated, outdated.

I also have the Evo 3D.
Sense is pretty cool compared to TouchWiz, but it's gonna be a while longer before we get ICS.

Still recommend the Galaxy Nexus.