Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=137676)

choof 06-18-2014 06:32 PM

UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...funded-schools

I think it is funny . Someone said something about dirt not turning into brains. Lol lol lol because I have taken anatomy courses which is a science.. and our bodies are made up if the same elements of dirt. Actually the exact same elements. Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. . . These are also the major elements in dirt. What a coincidence.

lurker 06-18-2014 07:10 PM

Re: UK Bans Teaching Creationism in State-Funded Schools Read

this is stupid man science should be about learning both sides of the story

Pseudo Enigma 06-18-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4152341)
Someone said something about dirt not turning into brains.

well he's right you know. Some clearly turn from brains into dirt. lol

MinaciousGrace 06-18-2014 07:31 PM

i am ok with creationism being taught in schools as long as they dont skip the chapter: myopic god, deific ineptitude at its finest

noname219 06-18-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker (Post 4152373)

Kidding aside, science is about finding the most precise theory, based on facts in order to help the future, which the Bible wasn't able to do for, well, about 2000 years.

Pseudo Enigma 06-18-2014 07:50 PM

because shoving reality down peoples throats is going to stop them from actively searching out fantasies

Nullifidian 06-18-2014 08:39 PM

Sick but yet they can teach evaluation Which has no scientific backing as well. They are both just theory s if you want to look at it from a "scientific" point of veiw.

Arch0wl 06-18-2014 08:57 PM

Pseudo Enigma hit the nail on the head with "shoving reality down peoples throats."

It's important that people see why creationism is wrong, not just accept that it is.

Otherwise, they won't actually be understanding anything. They'll have the "correct" views, but they can't say why, so their thought processes will be just as poor as before and they'll be able to seek out equally ridiculous substitutes without applying the principles that would lead you to understand why those substitutes are wrong.

choof 06-18-2014 09:08 PM

creationism isn't banned from being talked about, it's simply banned from being presented as a valid alternative to evolution

Reach 06-18-2014 09:10 PM

I was under the impression that you already couldn't really teach it.

I mean, you can't teach something that isn't science in the science classroom? Holy shit mind blown.

I don't know enough about what things are like in the deep south, but my guess would be that this would only be a substantial problem in those areas. Creationism as something that you seriously have to waste time and neurons disproving is so 10 years ago.

Xiz 06-18-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker (Post 4152373)

This

igotrhythm 06-18-2014 09:11 PM

I saw this in another chat room and when I got it after like 30 seconds, everyone was whining "that's not math" and praising me as a god. After some discussion about how I'd see it in a book of puzzles, a deeper thought hit me: It's not math. It's something much deeper: Critical thinking. That's how Asians are so far ahead.

The poser if anyone wants to see it:
http://images-cdn.9gag.com/photo/a1A3NeY_700b_v1.jpg

The answer is 87. The numbers are upside down.

Xiz 06-18-2014 09:12 PM

How about:

- Hey guys, here is one side of the story
- Hey guys, here is the other side of the story

Think for yourselves and believe what you believe

(Because in all honesty, nobody gives a shit what alignment you take part of at the end of the day)

choof 06-18-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiz (Post 4152428)
How about:

- Hey guys, here is one side of the story
- Hey guys, here is the other side of the story

Think for yourselves and believe what you believe

(Because in all honesty, nobody gives a shit what alignment you take part of at the end of the day)

middle ground is always a good idea and will definitely help humanity in the long run

igotrhythm 06-18-2014 09:16 PM

Isn't the whole "here's both sides of the argument" thing how we got into this whole mess in the first place? Anti-gay marriage, chemtrails, anti-vaxxers, creationists, etc.

choof 06-18-2014 09:22 PM

the whole "here's both sides of the argument" thing puts a non-science on the same playing field as a science

Arch0wl 06-18-2014 09:22 PM

re: "both sides"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_to_moderation

"You say the sky is blue, while I say the sky is red. Therefore, the best solution is to compromise and agree that the sky is purple."

There are correct answers to things. Some "sides" are correct.

Pseudo Enigma 06-18-2014 09:26 PM

One word: Censorship

It's not like students can't read about it themselves, but this is still censorship.

edit: @Arch purple would be a pure mixture of the two. What if it were red with patches of blue mixed throughout?

choof 06-18-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reach (Post 4152425)
Creationism as something that you seriously have to waste time and neurons disproving is so 10 years ago.

except not because there was a debate this year about evolution vs creationism and there are also people who think the creationist's claims were more sound than the scientist's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudo Enigma (Post 4152436)
One word: Censorship

It's not like students can't read about it themselves, but this is still censorship.

in what way is this censorship?

Pseudo Enigma 06-18-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4152437)
in what way is this censorship?

How is this not censorship? You're not allowed to teach a material. It's simple censorship.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiki
Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by a government, media outlet or other controlling body.