Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What DAW do you use? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=154665)

Neigdoig 03-13-2024 09:02 PM

What DAW do you use?

I'll start it with my choice, and it happened to be Ardour. The reason for it is mainly because, as stated in my introduction, I'm a GNU/Linux and Free/Libre Open-Source Software advocate (though I still use some proprietary things when necessary).

Ardour is a fully featured DAW with a GPL-2 license, meaning that anyone can build it, share it, the works with such a license. The binaries are paid for, but people are also building it and distributing it under those terms, as paying for the binaries supports the developers. That's what I do, personally, in terms of the DAW I use.

_choof 03-14-2024 01:41 PM

Re: What DAW do you use?

haven't touched ardour in a long time but I remember it being pretty bad, particularly on linux lol
vcv rack is easily my fav free daw, otherwise I use fl studio, used a cracked version of it for a long time until I made $100 with my music then I bought a license for it

EppuJoloZ 03-14-2024 02:16 PM

Been rockin' the good old Reason since 2018, love the workflow and it fulfills all my needs for the bleeps and bloops :D

Flaming_Dingleberry 03-14-2024 07:40 PM

I use Ableton, it's very nice and is a very easy transition to/from ProTools (the expensive af industry standard). I used Fruity Loops back in the day, before it became FL Studio; that was really fun, but I don't think I ever used it properly :)

I've also been using CakeWalk lately, and that's much better than I thought it would be... everyone says it's terrible, but it seems to be able to do whatever I want it to. I haven't REALLY put any of these DAWs to the test, so if anyone knows the limitations of any of these DAWs, I'd love to know.

Neigdoig 03-15-2024 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _choof (Post 4795105)
haven't touched ardour in a long time but I remember it being pretty bad, particularly on linux lol
vcv rack is easily my fav free daw, otherwise I use fl studio, used a cracked version of it for a long time until I made $100 with my music then I bought a license for it

You must've used Ardour a long time ago, an older version. I use 7.5, and it's actually good for my workflow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaming_Dingleberry (Post 4795108)
I use Ableton, it's very nice and is a very easy transition to/from ProTools (the expensive af industry standard). I used Fruity Loops back in the day, before it became FL Studio; that was really fun, but I don't think I ever used it properly :)

I've also been using CakeWalk lately, and that's much better than I thought it would be... everyone says it's terrible, but it seems to be able to do whatever I want it to. I haven't REALLY put any of these DAWs to the test, so if anyone knows the limitations of any of these DAWs, I'd love to know.

I hadn't used Cakewalk from what I'm aware. Why do people say it's bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EppuJoloZ (Post 4795107)
Been rockin' the good old Reason since 2018, love the workflow and it fulfills all my needs for the bleeps and bloops :D

I used the mobile version of it, but didn't really care for it.

Flaming_Dingleberry 04-15-2024 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neigdoig (Post 4795115)
I hadn't used Cakewalk from what I'm aware. Why do people say it's bad?

I don't know, they never have a reason, they'd just say "it's trash." I have yet to Google its limitations.