Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Religion is government (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=147859)

Cavernio 07-7-2017 12:19 AM

Religion is government

While trying to imagine what a form of governance/social system that's not geographically based but value based would look like, I realized it would look exactly like religion.

rushyrulz 07-7-2017 02:48 AM

Re: Religion is government

Expand or random thought?

Dynam0 07-7-2017 06:14 AM

Theocracies are among the most dangerous states that can exist. Submitting to some celestial dictator and allowing outdated creeds and doctrines from a man-made cult formed during the infancy of human morality to govern a nation is masochistic at best.

Reach 07-7-2017 12:05 PM

You're going to have to expand on what you mean.

Governance can be geographically based and founded on religion. They're not mutually exclusive. It's called a theocracy, e.g. Saudi Arabia.

Cavernio 07-7-2017 05:23 PM

In a truly free system one should be able to freely associate and comply with whatever standards they wish. If people were divided by these standards rather than geography (like we are divided into countries), it seems that the closest thing we currently have to that is freedom of religion.

Granted this entire concept only makes sense as anything possible due to global ability/possibility of communication now, regardless of location.

Dynam0 07-7-2017 05:42 PM

Standards meaning what? Moral standards?

Allowing each person to operate on their own standards is quite the opposite of governing so I'm not sure what is being implied here.

Will post after I'm back from da gymmm

rushyrulz 07-8-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavernio (Post 4568697)
In a truly free system one should be able to freely associate and comply with whatever standards they wish.

Since you're still being super vague (please take a look at the what makes a good CT thread), I'll respond to this sentence with an equally abrupt one:

Universally understood standards make society run efficiently, which is why they exist in the first place.
I don't know how removing these standards = religion.

Reach 07-10-2017 09:46 AM

Yeah, you need to expand on what you're saying, a lot. Give more detail and break down your individual points, because right now there's nothing I or anyone else can honestly respond to.

the sun fan 07-10-2017 09:59 AM

Anarchists sure do love them some Taoists

thechild 07-13-2017 11:39 AM

Statism is a religion based off the belief that we need a government to rule over us. Read up on this link.

http://www.mensenrechten.org/wp-cont...rose-20111.pdf

DNAlei 11-9-2018 12:50 AM

well, you're not wrong as the word "government" translates to "mind control" and that's literally what the goal of every religion is

Elena- 11-9-2018 08:48 AM

Yep

Elena- 11-9-2018 08:58 AM

Those who know the truth will never say a word, so rest assured everything here is wrong

Travis_Flesher 11-9-2018 09:58 AM

Theocracies are awesome. People worshipping and deifying God is super cool.
Freedom is real for everyone and all beliefs which is why allied militaries exist. Rebel groups could easily gather support and attempt a coup and I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
And freedom is much more than good vs. evil. It implies everything. Including radical thoughts that could very well change the way we are.

Tarlis 01-17-2020 11:00 AM

Religion to me is the RULES, RITUALS, and ROUTINES, you attach your BELIEFs to to help you to believe in FREEDOM, LIBERATION, and also in the pursuit of happiness. The energy that moves is power.

Dinglesberry 01-17-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarlis (Post 4708396)
Religion to me is the RULES, RITUALS, and ROUTINES, you attach your BELIEFs to to help you to believe in FREEDOM, LIBERATION, and also in the pursuit of happiness. The energy that moves is power.

nothing is wrong with having something to motivate you, some people need something to do that and some don't, like believe what you want

the only issue that ever arises from religion is when religion tries to force other people to change their ways or how they are

edit: I don't know that much about American stuff but isn't there literally a part of the bill of rights that says there should be "a separation of church and state"

MixMasterLar 01-17-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4708400)
edit: I don't know that much about American stuff but isn't there literally a part of the bill of rights that says there should be "a separation of church and state"

No, but most Americans believe that too. The First Amendment --

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill of Rights
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

-- is more protecting religions from the government persecuting or even embracing/abusing the church; then the amendment follows it up with "Also while you're at it just don't fuck with what people say and do if it doesn't involve violence". The "Separation of Church and State" bit is credited to Thomas Jefferson who reportedly used the catch phrase to hype it's inclusion.

People argue that it should go both ways but considering that most of the Founding Fathers where religious to some degree I think it's fairly obvious it was never intended to prevent religious principles from making it's way to Congress, although I would personally support that reading.

Dinglesberry 01-17-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4708405)
is more protecting religions from the government persecuting or even embracing/abusing the church; then the amendment follows it up with "Also while you're at it just don't fuck with what people say and do if it doesn't involve violence". The "Separation of Church and State" bit is credited to Thomas Jefferson who reportedly used the catch phrase to hype it's inclusion.

That makes sense, as a canuck my impression has always been thinking that it meant "we shouldn't factor in religious things when we make rules and changes to the government etc", but I guess it makes sense that its that the government shouldn't mess with religion... idk that seems pretty wonky to me not gonna lie

Even so though, if that is the case, then the converse should also be true, like if state → religion, then religion → state should also be the case (→ meaning affecting or influencing them)

Tarlis 01-18-2020 08:27 PM

Well the thing is for me is that Religion should be more like a belief system for your own energy of being more than just something collectively handled.

Dinglesberry 01-18-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarlis (Post 4708718)
Well the thing is for me is that Religion should be more like a belief system for your own energy of being more than just something collectively handled.

"just something collectively handled."

thats literally what it is...