Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Films and Television (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Anime geeks, I need your help (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=113723)

operationstrawbarry 11-11-2009 02:56 PM

Anime geeks, I need your help

Ever since my first anime-like Xenosaga 3, Ive been kinda addicted to anime and the kind. Black friday is comming and its going to be at best buy. Im planning on buying **** with friends. Probably another laptop (I have 2 laptops stearing at me.)

Need some help guys. Ive been planning on buying some anime for some years now, but everytime I look at the shelves, I come out with nothing. Primarily because I dont want to spend 29+ and find out I dont enjoy it. For some reason, I dont enjoy action action anime as much as comedy and cheesy corny love crap.

The only anime I really enjoy is Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan and Ive watched millions of times and still enjoy it. Im looking for anime just like it equally enjoyable. And is Shana really worth it? Ive seen it in Taiwan all in Japanese/Chinese, but it really seemed more dramatic than action packed.

Suggestions?

kommisar 11-11-2009 03:26 PM

Re: Anime geeks, I need your help

black lagoon

and if you like corny love animu

clannad

and i'm not willing to list the billions of others

MrGiggles 11-11-2009 03:27 PM

Comedy and corny love and tsundere bitches.

hmm

ToraDora
Zero no Tsukaima
Shana
umm
Inuyasha lmfao

Mollocephalus 11-11-2009 03:34 PM

hey a completely random anime might be good for you

jungle wa itsumo hale nochi guu is an amazing one, and that is coming from someone who could stand watching a whole series of anime only for this and death note.

Gundam-Dude 11-11-2009 03:35 PM

Pretty sure you'd be into Shakugan no Shana, so go check it out. 3rd season of it just started airing or whatever (haven't checked it out yet though).

Since you like Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan so much, I'm going to go ahead and assume you're into comedy, slice-of-life, school-life animes. Go check out any of the following if that's the case:

- Minami-Ke
- Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
- Maria Holic
- Seto no Hanayome
- School Rumble
- Azumanga Daioh

did you think I was going to list Lucky Star

MrGiggles 11-11-2009 06:47 PM

pi piru piru piru pi piru pi

pi piru piru piru pi piru pi

zadkiel91 11-11-2009 07:16 PM

you should try yamato nadeshiko shichi henge, awefully funny

Kage_No_Shi 11-11-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zadkiel91 (Post 3286355)
you should try yamato nadeshiko shichi henge, awefully funny

Second that.

And if you like that, Kimi no Todoke would probably be good too (though it isn't out, outside of japan, and is still running >_>

I also second Mr. Giggles' List:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggles (Post 3286015)
Comedy and corny love and tsundere bitches.

hmm

ToraDora
Zero no Tsukaima
Shana
umm
Inuyasha lmfao

Oh, also, To Aru Majutsu no Index (Also not out in NA/EU yet). Magic and Espers and a dood that can nullify all that with his hand.

You MIGHT like the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya too, it's pretty popular anyhow.

Azumanga Daioh is usually a good bet, it's amusing and cute.

DBZ is a mainstay for action junkies, and you can get 30+ eps (a whole season) for a good price....I just hope you watch it dubbed and don't need captioning (Japanese audio is atrocious, and the english dub has no captioning/subs).

kommisar 11-11-2009 09:55 PM

watch bakemonogatari if you're into contemporary stuff

SgtFish 11-11-2009 10:00 PM

I second Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Minami-Ke (only season 1, the other two seem to be garbage).

I discredit ToraDora (First two episodes were good, but then it got predictable and whiny), Haruhi (first season was alright, but nothing great), and School Rumble (The entire show was a tease, and weakly summed itself up in the third "season").

I'm also going to add in Higurashi or Baccano! if you're a fan of the whole blood/gore scene.

Oh, and if you want, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was an amazing animu movie, much to my (pleasant) surprise.

operationstrawbarry 11-11-2009 10:21 PM

Taking a lot of these into consideration. I really want to watch Zero no Tsukaima. Watched it in Japanese with Chinese subtitles and loved it. Can't find this right now unless I buy online, but thats not the point

I would buy Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya if it wasn't like 40-50 bux

Since Im planning on buying in best buy during black friday (if I decide to wait from 10 to 5AM. OMG who thinks up this stuff?), its the matter of if I can find it. But I will write all of these down. If you think of anymore... post

Note: Im not really into Gore/Blood. Im ok with action but one important fact, Im extremely into comedy and it seemed that comedy in anime is in the corny love animes....

Edit: Thx to Popular Japnaese Culture that I took last semester which was pretty much about anime, Im actually into it. Never thought I would.

Izzy 11-11-2009 10:26 PM

Buy anime?

SgtFish 11-11-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by operationstrawbarry (Post 3286558)
Edit: Thx to Popular Japnaese Culture that I took last semester which was pretty much about anime, Im actually into it. Never thought I would.

Japanese Pop Culture class.... wtf?
I swear, if we had that at our school, I'd rage every time I saw the class, or the students in it.

Anyways, I'd highly recommend Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or Minami-Ke to you if you like comedies then. SZS is probably the funnier of the two, but Minami-Ke grew on me the more I thought about it.

Ghakimx 11-11-2009 10:42 PM

You called me a geek. ;-;

SnS is good, BTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3286563)
Buy anime?

[Image]

At least he supports the studio's DVD sales..... I think.

MrGiggles 11-11-2009 11:02 PM

Shana is okay. Only saw S1.
Zero no Tsukaima is awful except for the season finale which is always about mages getting their **** ruined by modern technology.
Inuyasha is awful and gets worse until the series ends.
ToraDora is pretty good in the beginning and then kinda becomes average by the end.
Index is alright but holy **** they did not do their science research

Now keep in mind I don't really like corny rom-com anime at all so my ratings for a bunch of these above shows are biased.

I forgot to mention Kannagi which isn't very good but does have the benefit of being the subject of some of the most amazing puns I've ever heard.

And here's the mentioned stuff that doesn't fit BOTH romance and comedy but are pretty awesome anyway at just one of them. Worth checking out.

Spice and Wolf which is this odd mix of economics 101 and romance but is pretty ballin~
SZS isn't corny love. It isn't slice of life either. It's amazing, though. Give it a try. I recommend it highly. Funny as hell.
Haruhi S1 is great in chronological order and maybe a bit better in airing order. S2 is pretty good if you cut out 7 of the episodes. Guess which ones.
Clannad only exists to make you cry like a little bitch ;_; Not particularly funny.
The Girl Who Lept Through Time is awesome too.
I make a point of not associating with people who dislike Azumanga Daioh. Or Yotsubato!!

Ghakimx 11-11-2009 11:51 PM

SnS1 is pretty solid. I think I should read the manga. It looks cool and stuffs.
Also, I think I saw some girl in a h-manga who looked like Shana but with glasses.

operationstrawbarry 11-12-2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtFish (Post 3286566)
Japanese Pop Culture class.... wtf?
I swear, if we had that at our school, I'd rage every time I saw the class, or the students in it.

Its an awsome class, but no one did that well in that class. The class was hard because the answers had to be extremely close to the exact words that the professor says in lecture or else you get it wrong. Also, a lot of the content is very specific and theres a **** load of content. I find myself writing at least 2 pages front and back of notes and thats copying the power point. But the class has taught me so much about anime and life that its unbelieavable. I thought we would just watch anime and talk about it, instead, we are going through information about how close anime can be to real life and how it can protray Japanese modern society. Plus, it was a Tier 2 Humanities class and I needed to fill it up. HAHA my professor nor any of the TAs were Japanese. They were all Americans.

Just found out that Black friday is next week. Looks like I can do some research before pissing away a lot of money. Keep going with the suggestions though.

SgtFish 11-12-2009 03:14 AM

That is, by far, one of the stranger things I've heard in my life.

Good luck on your animu quest.

OneHandNow 11-13-2009 02:06 AM

ahem here i go listing in NO particular order

but you MUST watch these..

hidamari sketch
hidamari sketch x 365
bakemonogatari
higurashi (the 2nd season is meh, but it helps out a lot, you'll see)
mushishi
tekkonkinkreet (oav)
summer wars (oav)
5centimeters per second (movie)
pale cocoon (oav)
read or die (oav/movie)
ef - a tale of memories
the girl who leapt through time (movie)
earth girl arjuna
toradora
black lagoon
black cat ( read the manga )
baccano

cant think of any more good stuff for now
i know im missing a ton

OneHandNow 11-13-2009 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3286563)
Buy anime?

oh yeah and most of these are good too.