Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   the punk thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=124215)

Aldentron 06-6-2012 12:50 AM

the punk thread

i know only a very select few of you actually know the difference between punk and hot topic rock, so as FFRs resident punk, i present to you this guide. for the sake of keeping things simple (and ironically fascist) lets just let me have the last say on whether or not something is punk, ok?

begin

Aldentron 06-6-2012 12:56 AM

Re: the punk thread

first up, here's the biggest thing in hardcore right now. i can't find any online promotion for the band Hoax, no facebook, no bandcamp, some videos of vinyl rips (they don't have any CDs) are on youtube, but other than that the only evidence of Hoax the band existing (on the internet) are brutal as hell live shows with packed venues and everyone beating the snot out of eachother, even the vocalist.
this has got to be the most intense live band i've seen in a while. check it out.

there's also rumors circulating that the vocalist's persona is based on a tim & eric character, but i'm convinced that he has tourettes syndrome.

who_cares973 06-6-2012 01:23 AM

thats so brutal god damn

25thhour 06-6-2012 02:41 AM

**** youtube, You won't load videos worth of shit. **** you.

Brutal from what I saw.

EDIT: Actually good music :P

Hateandhatred 06-6-2012 02:54 AM

Watch this you boyz

They're all hammered beyond belief. Especially the singer.

He's so burned.

But otherwise that's pretty damn raw.

Aldentron 06-6-2012 07:26 AM

eyehategod is boss.

today republicans will swarm my downtown for their dinky little convention. to get in the mood this morning i'm listening to No Master. raw hardcore/d-beat from Kansas City. they're going to play a show here with MEDIA BLITZ (Orange County hardcore) and I'm stoked on that.
http://nomaster.bandcamp.com/

Burning Bridges is one of the coolest pop-punk bands I've heard in recent times. and I know what you're saying about pop-punk already but shut up, some of it's tight! and this one uses those twinkly guitar stylings you have come to love via bands like Algernon Cadwallader and Snowing.
http://getbetterrecords.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-2

Hateandhatred 06-11-2012 10:40 AM

Lmfao.

Anyway, bumping because I want to know some more about punk. I don't know anything about punk that doesn't have a close relationship to metal.

MagicCarpetRide 06-11-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldentron (Post 3704483)
lets just let me have the last say on whether or not something is punk, ok?

begin

Pretty sure punk is fairly broad genre with it's origins in the UK and hardcore punk wasn't really relevant until several years after. No?

Aldentron 06-16-2012 02:14 AM

it is a really broad genre but most people's idea of punk is My Chemical Romance, blink 182, and the like. if you can't name a Black Flag song then you shouldn't be posting recommendations here imo.

Mike Weedmark 06-16-2012 07:50 AM

*makes punk thread*
*says to let him have the last say on what's punk*
*posts nothing but grindcore*

MCR and Blink are obviously shit, but you don't need to go in the polar opposite direction to find good music. I'd even argue it's a horrible idea; Eyehategod is the kind of stuff my noise band friend sends me so I can tell him it's good and close it in 5 seconds. Never mind that I consider them less punk than a lot of popular bands who were never even trying to be, like early Thrice, early Say Anything, and recent Brand New.

Hateandhatred 06-16-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark (Post 3709528)
*makes punk thread*
*says to let him have the last say on what's punk*

MCR and Blink are obviously shit, but you don't need to go in the polar opposite direction to find good music. I'd even argue it's a horrible idea; Eyehategod is the kind of stuff my noise band friend sends me so I can tell him it's good and close it in 5 seconds. Never mind that I consider them less punk than a lot of popular bands who were never even trying to be, like early Thrice, early Say Anything, and recent Brand New.

K. Here's some punk rock then. Easily my favorite punk rock band ever, but there again, LOTS of metal influence.

Aldentron 06-16-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hateandhatred (Post 3707051)
1000LAX

woah this song is pretty ****ing crazy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Weedmark (Post 3709528)

who's postin grindcore bro?
i love brand new and there are some tight Thrice songs. if thats whats you rep then post it up! but catch mad hate if its not punk! don't know why you assume i'm going to post ONE genre. hardcore was the flavor of the week last week, but i'm gonna be seeing a lot of different bands coming through doing summer tours and very few of them will be grindcore.

here's the show i'm going to tonight. bands from all over TX, including Moths and Choirs who got added on. it's going to be awesuuuuum

Mike Weedmark 06-16-2012 03:27 PM

I don't know what the hell they're saying but I love the energy :D

who_cares973 06-16-2012 05:55 PM

i saw these guys live at a skate demo some years ago and they were ****ing great

popsicle_3000 06-16-2012 07:58 PM

that hoax stuff @_@

Aldentron 06-17-2012 01:09 AM

hell yeah wc Slayer totally did a cover of that song on their Undisputed Attitude album, which was all covers of 80s hardcore songs. badass that you got to see them, surprised they're still around

here's a pop-punk band from current hip capitol of texas: DENTON
http://occultdetectiveclub.bandcamp.com/
Occult Detective Club has been around for quite a while. they're really straightforward punk, for fans of Toys That Kill and The Marked Men.

Aldentron 06-28-2012 03:09 PM

this is my favorite band from Seattle right now

Jaxxter 06-28-2012 03:16 PM

Yes

Aldentron 08-19-2012 04:58 PM

http://lindseys.bandcamp.com/

I picked up the last copy of the test pressings of this album the other day when I saw this band. Lindseys are from Seattle and play fast surfy punk that is up everyone's alley. They are touring with a band from New Zealand called Team Ugly that was really good as well. The recordings aren't much, but the vocalist uses a telephone that's been converted to a microphone (like they do in Japanther) plugged into reverb and delay pedals, making the Lindseys some of the best garage music I've seen live.

infinity. 08-19-2012 06:01 PM

yes