Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Path of Exile (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=128695)

d4u7211 01-26-2013 12:40 PM

Path of Exile

Alright, so the game has become very popular and received lots of praise. I just started last night and I can already say the game is VERY dynamic. I didn't see a thread about this already, though.

Path of Exile is a (currently) free to play BETA game that has been claimed "what Diablo III should have been." It features about the same range of character types to choose from as D3, but the skill upgrading and attack combinations are outstanding.

Here is the current skill tree:

Note that what I'm saying below is just what I have observed; some of it may be not wholly correct

To start, I'd say I can tell I'll like it better than D3 already. For one, there is no auction house. It is pure trading, from what I've seen, although I believe you can pay with real money as well (not sure, haven't tried) and currency items include special items that you need to improve apparel and weapons. (as in, you sell an item to an NPC and in turn they will give you items like scrolls, etc.) Each item that you can wield and wear has a number of sockets on it, a minimum of 1 generally, and what I've seen, up to three. You have three skill stats, dexterity, intelligence, and strength, and each socket can randomly correspond to each of these stats. You can find gems that fit with the color that matches the gem, also matching a stat. These gems give you special abilities (usually attacks) that you can use, and these gems can even level up to produce more desired effects.

To me, it seems like they made the game very dynamic with which way you can choose to level your character up (or rather, focus on gem levelling) without making it overcomplicated.

What you bitches think?

sayuncle990 01-26-2013 12:58 PM

Re: Path of Exile

I'd like to try it, but I'm having trouble connecting to the website. Anyone else?

d4u7211 01-26-2013 01:02 PM

I just checked and yeah, it's being really slow. lot's slower than it was yesterday, I apologize. http://webcdn.pathofexile.com/downlo...eInstaller.msi is the link to download the installer, at least, thats the link i used. I'll remove the link if for whatever reason I shouldn't post it

Hakulyte 01-26-2013 01:06 PM

That skill tree. I feel like I'm going to invest 1 month learning it entirely and lurking threads before even being able to start a character~

Actually, I played the game in beta. It was cool but may have been more fun with people I knew.

xThai 01-26-2013 01:24 PM

I played it and got to level 30. It's tons better than D3

Xiz 01-26-2013 01:25 PM

Can you go into more detail about what it's about? If its a grind sesh again im out.

And dat skill tree. Daauuummm

d4u7211 01-26-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiz (Post 3847330)
Can you go into more detail about what it's about? If its a grind sesh again im out.

And dat skill tree. Daauuummm

To me, it doesn't seem like it's one big grind fest, and the lack of an auctions house or gold means there really isn't any need for tons of weapon grinding, since you can just trade two good weapons to someone who needs them for an awesome weapon they dont want due to their character, so it definitely dumbs down the grinding.

It's a three act game, that they say will have a fourth act once they get further beyond bug fixes. If you've ever played Diablo 3, It plays like that. You choose your "hero" which was to be exiled for one reason or another, and you go on quests to, i believe, regain your honor and seek out your own fortunes.

It's a 3rd person, semi-top-down fighter, and you point and click where you want your attacks to go (or tap keys, depending on how you assigned) and special attacks use mana. You can gain shield, stuff like that, literally a normal sounding mmo, without it being too complex, but also being dynamic enough to not get boring.

swordmasterz 01-26-2013 02:10 PM

Heh I was going to start a topic about this

Currently level 36 marauder breaking into Cruel, name Babewizm. Let's get some usernames up and we can party/PvP together (o:

Planning a good character definitly takes some effort. I know I already messed up this guy by taking some dumb route to get Blood Magic.

Cool features about this game you might be interested in:
- Dat skill tree. (though not everyone might like this)
- Tons of customization in builds. I'm not sure how many are end-game viable, but check the Youtube series "Path of Exile Build of the Week" to see some of the clever things people came up with during closed beta. I think this one is pretty interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEDc5lSk87k
- The environments in this game are pretty nice. Downright creepy in Act III, you'll see if you play it through.
- Non-standard currency in orbs, which perform various tasks. It is a very experimental currency but I can see it working, and it doesn't inflate as much because of the gambling aspect involved with them.
- End-game involving the creation of 'custom' dungeons (or PvP which is out right now unlike D3's lel)
- It's free! (barring cosmetic microtransactions and such)

Some problems that I have with the game though:

- Combat/gameplay is kind of unfluid overall, if you're coming from something like D3. This is my one major issue with the game.
- Minimap is excessively detailed imo. Also doesn't work too well with transparency in bright lighting
- This game is pretty hard. It's not as noticeable in Act I, but Act III definitely caught me by surprise given that it was supposed to be normal difficulty.
- Right now servers are experiencing some issues and people are getting randomly disconnected and such, though this should pass with time.

I think if you like games like Torchlight, Diablo, or other ARPGs, this game is worth checking out. Plus it's free, what could go wrong (o:

WTFBrandon 01-26-2013 02:54 PM

Well, when are the character wipes happening again?
I played shortly after it was able to be purchased for closed beta, which was AGES ago.
I've been keeping up with the e-mails they have been sending me because i've been interesting in playing again.
Nvm, just checked.
Jan 23 was the last day for the char wipe, cool

Crashfan3 01-26-2013 03:15 PM

Well, I just downloaded and installed this game but I guess I don't get to play any time soon :|

edit: clicked again 5 minutes later and now it's 25,004 what the hell, man?
edit2: Looks like they put this queue in due to some kind of stability issues. But it's going up by a couple thousand every minute. -_-

hi19hi19 01-26-2013 03:47 PM

I like how the "huge skill tree" image is maybe like 25% of the actual size of the skill tree.
Lots of options.

p.s. there is not a thing about this game that I found worse than Diablo 3 you should play it, it's basically the game Blizzard wished they made... maybe I'll find something to dislike about it eventually but so far I really can't complain. It's good.

MinaciousGrace 01-26-2013 03:48 PM

was gonna play this but resubbed rift instead

play hardcore you ******s its better

also a friend of mine is like 9th on the hardcore ladder pce

alloyus 01-26-2013 03:57 PM

Yeah played this for a bit and got kicked and have to wait for the queue :/ Will try playing again later though, it's pretty fun.

Edit: wow, was just able to log back in and my character's gone.....

d4u7211 01-26-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alloyus (Post 3847390)
Yeah played this for a bit and got kicked and have to wait for the queue :/ Will try playing again later though, it's pretty fun.

Edit: wow, was just able to log back in and my character's gone.....

The fuck? that shouldnt have happened...i hope that didnt happen with me i didnt check. they said there will be no more char wipes so idk...

and mina, cool story bro

PrawnSkunk 01-26-2013 06:30 PM

Awesome game - been playing since alpha.

IGN: PrawnSkunk.

iCeCuBEz v2 01-26-2013 08:24 PM

this games sick just started playing it the other day.

alloyus 01-26-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4u7211 (Post 3847441)
The fuck? that shouldnt have happened...i hope that didnt happen with me i didnt check. they said there will be no more char wipes so idk...

and mina, cool story bro

I don't think you have anything to worry about, it probably didn't save correctly or something and I was kicked off, sooo

Edit: Wow, and now he's back so nevermind. Some glitch I dunno

Crashfan3 01-26-2013 09:03 PM

Good heavens, this game is addicting, and thanks to it, I'm probably not going to get my homework done this weekend! xD

IGN: Zurenriri (main, ranger), Sakamaki_Izayoi (secondary, duelist)

FissionMailed1 01-26-2013 09:03 PM

Basically the two things that irk me are that I don't get usable active skills as often as I would like and some of the animations are weird. Not too concerned about net code issues since the game just went live a few days ago.

Other than that, the game is really fun and better than Diablo 3.

Kibblre 01-26-2013 09:03 PM

I've been wanting to try this for awhile, but am very intimidated by the skill tree. I don't like having to figure out my own builds as I'm usually way off on something that works great. If there's any builds or anything that people have created and I can follow then I'll probably check this game out.

FissionMailed1 01-26-2013 09:05 PM

You can always refund your skill points if what you try doesn't work out too well.

EDIT: Actually, you can't refund that many skill points. I wouldn't be too worried about making a "bad build", the game doesn't punish you as harshly as say, Diablo 2 would.

iCeCuBEz v2 01-26-2013 09:07 PM

the only thing that is really annoying about this game at the moment is how it lags a lot and randomly disconnects and I have to travel all the way back to where I was when I dc'd.

Kibblre 01-26-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FissionMailed1 (Post 3847548)
You can always refund your skill points if what you try doesn't work out too well.

EDIT: Actually, you can't refund that many skill points. I wouldn't be too worried about making a "bad build", the game doesn't punish you as harshly as say, Diablo 2 would.

I'm gonna try it out I guess since it's in open beta now. I found a guide for ranger, which I'm assuming is an archer. I usually tend to go towards archer classes in any RPG game.

sayuncle990 01-27-2013 12:48 AM

So uh, I died in hardcore. Should I just keep playing or reroll and stay in hardcore? This is my first time playing a diablo type game so I don't really know the benefit to hardcore.

FissionMailed1 01-27-2013 01:03 AM

Bragging rights.

d4u7211 01-27-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayuncle990 (Post 3847645)
So uh, I died in hardcore. Should I just keep playing or reroll and stay in hardcore? This is my first time playing a diablo type game so I don't really know the benefit to hardcore.

Lot better Magic Find, is what lots of other hardcore players say.

Kibblre 01-27-2013 01:57 AM

So I started playing and I love it.

sayuncle990 01-27-2013 05:00 AM

This game is too good, I just realized I stayed up til 6 am playing it. Wow...

_Stepdude_ 01-27-2013 09:44 AM

I got lucky with my closed beta key so I've been playing it a couple of months ago. Will continue when I get a bit more time on my hands.

For me, it just down right crushes D3..

WTFBrandon 01-27-2013 11:53 PM

The reason people like Diablo over this game is it's not as "flashy" or "cool" looking.
Overall, the gameplay and everything else is better BY FAR, and it just doesn't have super cool evil looking armor or weapons atm or super flashy skills that turn your screen into a rave.
This game is much harder and funner than Diablo and it will just keep getting better.
That's just my opinion though.

Hakulyte 01-28-2013 12:16 AM

I picked the wrong skill, time to wipe character~

d4u7211 01-28-2013 12:16 AM

WTFBrandon, agreed. Diablo 3 had its high points, but they're over now. If this game was out during D3 opening, it would have swept D3 under the rug like vista

Zageron 01-28-2013 12:31 AM

I guess I can try to jump on this for a while. Might be beneficial to see how the game is. :P

igotrhythm 01-28-2013 12:39 AM

Nope.

Zageron 01-28-2013 12:40 AM

At first I was like, haha I'm gonna post mine too. And then some

sayuncle990 01-28-2013 11:30 PM

I have been playing this nonstop, already 33. What kind of end game content is there to keep it interesting? Or is it just killing stuff for better loot so you can kill stuff faster to get better loot?

swordmasterz 01-29-2013 01:56 AM

The end game basically revolves around customized 'maps' where you revisit old areas, but with buffed up monsters with modifiers that are tied specifically with the map you create (sort of imagine any area you played, and just make like all the mobs 'yellow'-status with multiple affixes).

There's also PvP, 1v1 and 3v3. I don't think there are any PvP stats yet but I believe they are adding something like that in the future (correct me if I'm wrong)

Furthermore GGG has stated they will support the game for a while by adding additional content (in the form of more acts to play).

But in the end, it's a ARPG. Sometimes people just play for the loot too.

Crashfan3 01-29-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordmasterz (Post 3849027)
The end game basically revolves around customized 'maps' where you revisit old areas, but with buffed up monsters with modifiers that are tied specifically with the map you create (sort of imagine any area you played, and just make like all the mobs 'yellow'-status with multiple affixes).

I kind of expected that, and for that reason this will probably not be one of the MMOs I play for several years. But for the time being I'm hooked on it, and in-between working and studying for my upcoming midterms, I play whenever I can. I'm level 16 so far.

iCeCuBEz v2 01-29-2013 12:52 PM

omg i cant stop playing this game -.-

rsr2 01-29-2013 02:48 PM

This game is really fun so far. I haven't been able to play as much as I wanted but I plan on playing the crap out of this tonight.

Add my character - Breesquee <3

Kibblre 01-29-2013 02:50 PM

Started a Marauder. Level 13 right now and they're so much fun.

WTFBrandon 01-29-2013 03:16 PM

I'm having trouble finding my skill stone things, time to make new chars and do the first couple quests for the skills, then delete yaaaaay.

sayuncle990 01-29-2013 04:35 PM

Just started fighting piety in Act 3 and it crashed again :(

FissionMailed1 01-29-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFBrandon (Post 3849374)
I'm having trouble finding my skill stone things, time to make new chars and do the first couple quests for the skills, then delete yaaaaay.

I should do this since I can't find frenzy for my duelist. I knew it was one of the quest rewards, but I didn't pick it even though I should have :(

WTFBrandon 01-29-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FissionMailed1 (Post 3849422)
I should do this since I can't find frenzy for my duelist. I knew it was one of the quest rewards, but I didn't pick it even though I should have :(

Yeah, the first quest I got gave me 2-3 of the skills I needed but obv could only get one... Sucks that they are so rare to find. But I guess it's good to be social in the game and find people to trade... Or do what I do.

Crashfan3 01-29-2013 08:06 PM

I cleared act 1 today. Only died once while soloing Merveil. I think I would have died several more times if I was using a melee class though. Rangers ftw. ^^

Infernalgate_Zach 01-29-2013 08:17 PM

I'm thinking about making a Path of Exile Private League for everybody on FFR when it becomes available for purchase. If interested in joining and/or helping to decide the Custom Rules of said league, send me a tell on my FFR profile page or on my Skype. My Skype is ' ccx.zach '

sayuncle990 01-29-2013 08:22 PM

Just finished up Act III, pretty awesome! Can't wait for them to add more to the story line though, total cliff hanger :P Anyone know where I go to get these mysterious maps? Or should I just play through cruel and see what happens?

Infernalgate_Zach 01-29-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayuncle990 (Post 3849566)
Just finished up Act III, pretty awesome! Can't wait for them to add more to the story line though, total cliff hanger :P Anyone know where I go to get these mysterious maps? Or should I just play through cruel and see what happens?

Maps spawn in the end-game. I want to say around mid-50s or possibly not until 60. Try waiting for the Third (final) difficulty. Then they should surely drop.

sayuncle990 01-29-2013 08:29 PM

Sheeet, didn't realize it was that far away haha. Oh well, it always goes fast :)

Kibblre 02-1-2013 01:31 PM

Having too much fun with the game; I just had to drop a little cash to support the devs.

Fantasticone 02-1-2013 03:10 PM

Started this game 3 days ago and I love the customization, once I get use to the bartering system I can start trading stuff.

Kibblre 02-4-2013 09:40 PM

I'm in Act 2 of Cruel right now. Piety wasn't nearly as hard I thought she would be, but I did have max resists at the time.

sayuncle990 02-5-2013 12:07 AM

Finally hit 50, though feeling like a glass cannon...500 hp is a little bit small for about to finish cruel. It works so far as a ranger if I can keep my distance, but those stupid flicker strike mobs always rape me.

Wineandbread 02-8-2013 02:50 PM

Anyone playing on HC ladder? It's a lot more intense imo, and it makes your skill investments mean that much more impactful

Need moar people to play with, vaal oversoul was tough with just 2 players ):

In game name is Ginsraft, hit me up

Razor 02-8-2013 02:58 PM

Just downloaded this last night. Gonna start playing soon.

Spider_ 02-8-2013 03:27 PM

Been playing for a while now, mostly on HC though! Turtling it up with a bit tanky marauder @lvl32. In-game name is Spidu, hit me up if ya want o/

Coolboyrulez0 02-8-2013 04:17 PM

I suppose I could give this a try

cbrx is ign, marauder

.Layne. 02-9-2013 08:28 AM

Started playing HC.

Got myself a chromatic orb and a regal orb hahaha

Kibblre 02-9-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Layne. (Post 3857422)
Started playing HC.

Got myself a chromatic orb and a regal orb hahaha

Chromatics are cheap, regals are a pretty good price.

sp1nzoK 02-9-2013 03:15 PM

--

MinaciousGrace 02-10-2013 03:59 AM

finally got around to making a twinked out hc witch today started the game with full level 1 legendaries rofl

anyway played for a few hours i'm 33 now

swordmasterz 02-10-2013 03:15 PM

I added a few of you

I just got to Ledge on Cruel on my ranger. ez farming gogog

Kibblre 02-10-2013 05:23 PM

Just started an HC templar. Level 7 if anyone wants to add me - Bakuhaku (game grumps reference boys).

.Layne. 02-10-2013 08:00 PM

Got to lvl 30 HC wattuupupupupup

WTFBrandon 02-10-2013 08:50 PM

Still going through normal diff, well technically cruel.
Trying CI Shadow atm and it's haaaaaaaaaaaaard.
Well not hard but requires a lot of kiting.

PrawnSkunk 02-10-2013 08:56 PM

Wee, finished merciless! Now for end-game maps and to ding to level 70 :X

That feel when I've spent more time trading than I've have actually spent playing the game...

flash dualist 02-10-2013 09:34 PM

character name: flashdualist

I'm lv 22 right now.

Kibblre 02-11-2013 09:07 AM

I just beat Act 1 normal with my HC Templar. I'm catching up with my HC Shadow because I need LMP (for my Templar) from a quest reward in Act 2. I probably won't play much of the Shadow after that.

.Layne. 02-11-2013 09:54 AM

Omg i tanked vaal like a boss

vaal couldnt even chip my life gg hahaha

Kibblre 02-11-2013 10:48 AM

Can anyone in HC just carry me through Act 1/part of Act 2 on my Shadow so I can get LMP? I'm hating playing it.

PrawnSkunk 02-11-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibblre (Post 3858794)
Can anyone in HC just carry me through Act 1/part of Act 2 on my Shadow so I can get LMP? I'm hating playing it.

Buy it for 1 chaos or 2 alcs/fusings in trade chat o.o
So much less work than tediously progressing a shadow to get it via questing.
and I just transferred over my LMP to default yesterday... damn :I

Kibblre 02-11-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk (Post 3858940)
Buy it for 1 chaos or 2 alcs/fusings in trade chat o.o
So much less work than tediously progressing a shadow to cruel difficulty...

and I just transferred over my LMP to default yesterday... damn :I

Just started in the HC ladder, I've got shit for currency.

MinaciousGrace 02-14-2013 03:29 AM

died on merciless vaal to an instant doublecrit rockfall loooooooooolllllllllllllllllll

:c

Kibblre 02-28-2013 10:20 PM

Anyone still play this?

Feels good man

rsr2 03-1-2013 12:37 AM

Yeah, I have been doing some of the solo races recently. The new events are legit and really fun.

.Layne. 03-2-2013 03:49 PM

well now.. 2 Chain gems dropped..

one with 8% quality and 13% quality
lmaoo

swordmasterz 03-2-2013 06:36 PM

wowowo gimme one

WTFBrandon 03-2-2013 06:59 PM

Just hit level 59 as CI Shadow.
Stuffs slowly becoming fun as im getting decently funded, still need proper sockets and links.

Kibblre 03-3-2013 08:50 PM

Woo, got my first unique! I've got a c/o of 4 chaos on it and I'm hoping it goes up.