Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Batch Forum (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116884)

psychoangel691 02-2-2011 10:25 AM

Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plan_Bsk81127 (Post 3410445)
There has been two batches since the revival of the site, I think they had their chances to send in files that are on the custom from the downtime of FFR.

There's a submission cap here remember that. Some of the people on DF have never submitted to FFR before at all. And a lot of people wanted to make fixes to the files before sending them here. So chances are they haven't had the chance to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3410448)
bmah is referring to files that were submitted to the ffr batches and the DF batches not files that were already in DF(at least thats what i got from it)

If that's the case that's a different situation. But it looks to me that it's don't send in something that can already be played elsewhere.

DossarLX ODI 02-2-2011 10:26 AM

I sent in two solid files of my own for this batch

This time I also considered a new artist: Adamaja456. I've also wanted to try out customstuff but I'm at my submission cap now since I'm also working on a collab.

customstuff 02-2-2011 10:51 AM

Oooohh :)

Well if you do step a song of mine, let me know if you need some fixing or cuts.

ichliebekase 02-2-2011 11:01 AM

Silvuh; I just noticed this with the spot you were talking about the 12ths being to the melody and not to any drums like I was stepping. Reason for that in that section is that there ARE no drums in those 2 beats. I stepped the melody so that there were some notes there instead of it being 2 beats of nothing when there was something still going on. That note on b159/62.84s doesn't even have a drum sound to it.

Make sense now?

bmah 02-2-2011 12:05 PM

As I said already, I'm ok with sending DF files this batch, because I didn't bring the issue up beforehand. Get your stuff in before the closing date of Feb 7.

psychoangel691 02-2-2011 12:09 PM

Okay, was just a bit confused with it.

One Winged Angel 02-2-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3410491)
Get your stuff in before the closing date of Feb 7.

ok, I'm off today and just read this...I don't really follow this thread that much but am I correct in believing that the batch is currently open until Feb 7?

If so, fuck, I'm stepping something today

ichliebekase 02-2-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Winged Angel (Post 3410499)
ok, I'm off today and just read this...I don't really follow this thread that much but am I correct in believing that the batch is currently open until Feb 7?

If so, fuck, I'm stepping something today

You are correct. Open until 11:59 PM server time that night.

Silvuh 02-2-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichliebekase (Post 3410466)
Silvuh; I just noticed this with the spot you were talking about the 12ths being to the melody and not to any drums like I was stepping. Reason for that in that section is that there ARE no drums in those 2 beats. I stepped the melody so that there were some notes there instead of it being 2 beats of nothing when there was something still going on. That note on b159/62.84s doesn't even have a drum sound to it.

Make sense now?

*nodnod* I was aware of that; but my reasoning involves the violin sound that's just on every fourth (and isn't the melody). It just so happens that the percussion covers every fourth, too. It's just this one beat where the violin fourth plays but the percussion doesn't. So leaving the arrow at b159 doesn't feel like it's inconsistent.

If that's not convincing, it's okay if you don't want to remove those 12ths. With everything else good, your file will definitely get queued next time.

i love you 02-2-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i love you (Post 3410450)
Time to send in my witchcraft file lol

Fixed

ichliebekase 02-2-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvuh (Post 3410503)
*nodnod* I was aware of that; but my reasoning involves the violin sound that's just on every fourth (and isn't the melody). It just so happens that the percussion covers every fourth, too. It's just this one beat where the violin fourth plays but the percussion doesn't. So leaving the arrow at b159 doesn't feel like it's inconsistent.

If that's not convincing, it's okay if you don't want to remove those 12ths. With everything else good, your file will definitely get queued next time.

I see what you mean now.

This look a little better? Didn't really want to make it a single note :P

Thanks for all the help btw.

Sent it in. I was getting anxious :P

MarioNintendo 02-2-2011 03:50 PM

Sent 4 files. Hopefully, Bmah and Jimerax won't cut my head off for flooding their inbox... :S

Arch0wl 02-2-2011 03:56 PM

Honest question: why is there a submission cap?

cedolad 02-2-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410672)

To prevent a shit load of shitty files from new steppers.

Xayphon 02-2-2011 03:59 PM

Judges need a break

woker-X 02-2-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarioNintendo (Post 3410666)
Sent 4 files. Hopefully, Bmah and Jimerax won't cut my head off for flooding their inbox... :S

you can send multiple files in a single e-mail.

They will tell you that haha.

Arch0wl 02-2-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedolad (Post 3410674)
[there is a submission cap] to prevent a shit load of shitty files from new steppers.

How many could there possibly be though? I'd rather judge a few extra files to grab the loyalty of a bunch of new players engaged with FFR than hold a carrot 100 feet in front of them.

(sorry about the brackets; FFR doesn't add quote trees so I added it to show the context)

cedolad 02-2-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410682)
How many could there possibly be though? I'd rather judge a few extra files to grab the loyalty of a bunch of new players engaged with FFR than hold a carrot 100 feet in front of them.

(sorry about the brackets; FFR doesn't add quote trees so I added it to show the context)

I never really cared enough for the submission cap since I only step like 2 files a year.

MarioNintendo 02-2-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woker-X (Post 3410679)
you can send multiple files in a single e-mail.

They will tell you that haha.

Haha, I did.

However, I sent one email without attachment and another one with outdated files that had no chance of getting in. So that makes three with the one I just sent.

kommisar 02-2-2011 04:41 PM

I guess the better you step files, the more privileged you are on ffr. It's sort of an oligarchic system where the elite have more power towards files or something lmao.

but yeah i don't feel like judging 30948230 files from one person that doesn't know how to step a file well. if they send 1-2 at a time, we can give that person input and they can build from there.

cedolad 02-2-2011 04:47 PM

Constructive criticism versus flaming.

NocturneAunamic 02-2-2011 05:50 PM

ok i just sent in my file today. i might send in another one if i get around to it.

Arch0wl 02-2-2011 06:44 PM

I just don't think you'd see that many files with the fact that they need to have song permissions. The idea that terrible sim authors would submit a ton of files seems possible at first, but when I consider that most new charters step songs that are not even close to music on the FFR permissions list I don't think this would be a concern. Having to limit your music choice is a turn-off for most people.

championanwar 02-2-2011 06:52 PM

Sent files in.

Plan_Bsk81127 02-2-2011 06:58 PM

I dont have any files to send in this batch, gg at me being too lazy to step something. XD

-Barista- 02-2-2011 07:30 PM

Wait. . . we can put stops in songs now? When did this start?

bmah 02-2-2011 07:52 PM

Stops won't affect gameplay in FFR, but you can use them if you feel compelled to do so.

What you cannot use however are negative BPMs.

-Barista- 02-2-2011 07:57 PM

Oh. . . pffft, K then. Here I was thinking that stop were implemented into the engine. Was jumping for joy.

cedolad 02-2-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410778)
I just don't think you'd see that many files with the fact that they need to have song permissions. The idea that terrible sim authors would submit a ton of files seems possible at first, but when I consider that most new charters step songs that are not even close to music on the FFR permissions list I don't think this would be a concern. Having to limit your music choice is a turn-off for most people.

Yo Arch, what was the last file you stepped?

TC_Halogen 02-2-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3410813)
Stops won't affect gameplay in FFR, but you can use them if you feel compelled to do so.

What you cannot use however are negative BPMs.

I'll fake a negative BPM by going into the flash and adding fake arrow images that scroll at a universal rate only to have the REAL pattern be mirrored from what you see. :twisted:

jimerax 02-2-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410672)

1. FFR gets a lot of submissions so it needs some quantity control.
2. We need 1 or 2 good files rather than 100 mediocre files from one sim artist.
3. On this system, your submission cap can be raised easily if you keep submitting good files.

iironiic 02-2-2011 08:23 PM

Sent Passage D. (Edit: High 11 or low 12)

From now on, I think I'm going to send one file at a time, unless I stockpile enough for the next upcoming batch after this one.

TC_Halogen 02-2-2011 08:27 PM

So far, it's looking like the submissions for this batch will be...

(0.5) Eclipse [Luna] /(collab: who_cares973) (11)
(0.5) Remember When/(collab: psychoangel691) (she says 8, I say 9 - we'll level with that)
Cest What (12)
Molto Vivace v2 (11)

...and possibly one more, if I can hurry. (which will equal my cap of 4 :3)

Arch0wl 02-2-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cedolad (Post 3410819)
Yo Arch, what was the last file you stepped?

The most recent was a revision of Gaussian Blur for KBO. Before that it was Birthright (Blue Stahli mix), which you can play here.

TC_Halogen 02-2-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410960)
[...]which you can play here.

Well...it started off pretty alright... <_<

Arch0wl 02-2-2011 11:35 PM

I like ghost notes and jacks and tend to dislike the PR/layering on most songs. Most people feel the opposite and I realize that.

bmah 02-2-2011 11:35 PM

Holy hell, what was that? hahaha

edit: yeah, you made your affinity for ghost notes very clear in Energizer

My question is, what makes ghost notes enjoyable to play?

TC_Halogen 02-2-2011 11:44 PM

I feel that ghosting is an acceptable charting strategy, but not in extreme cases seen like in your version of Birthright, or in Energizer. Ghosting for syncopative purposes is totally alright, but pushing unrealistically beyond accuracy capabilities is a little ridiculous. Then again, this is more of the player opinion than the charter's opinion, but in both cases, I believe you're going a little past common sense. Just seems like a dump.

Arch0wl 02-2-2011 11:45 PM

Well, I don't view files as "playing the song" but "interpreting the song." That's probably the most crucial contrast between how I view files vs. most people today; I view ghost notes as an interpretation of the song's energy. If you actually dance to a song, you tend to move your body to a generalized composite of every rhythm it has. When I use a ghost note I'm not thinking about how the song is being represented in the notes but how your hands are moving to the song, similar to how an Irish dancer would add rhythms to the melody.

Also, I like difficulty spikes a lot. They're used a lot in Korean music games and I like their effect. They make for great entertainment when someone is capable of doing them.

bmah 02-2-2011 11:47 PM

@simfile artists: apparently this hasn't been made clear enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimerax
Just put [Resubmission] at the top of the name of zip/rar file and folder ,then submit.
i.e. [Resubmission] Magical 8bit Tour (jimerax).zip.

dore 02-3-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3410975)

qtd for top of page since it was gonna get buried :D

re: ghosting stuff

It's just my opinion, but the limit for ghosting comes when you drastically alter a song's density. It's one thing to syncopate what you already have or bring out an implied feel, but it's another thing to completely add another layer of rhythm to the song to produce a different feel.

ichliebekase 02-3-2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Sweet, I did it right this time :] last time I noticed that it got switched when it was viewed in the folders so this time I put it in the front. Kewl 8-)

TC_Halogen 02-3-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

I didn't have to do this for The Crow's Newspaper, did I? I just assumed since you told me to give you the version with fixed silence that I would just give it to you.

bmah 02-3-2011 12:16 AM

oh no, if you were just making minor fixes to an accepted file, you don't need to do that

TC_Halogen 02-3-2011 12:19 AM

Oh alright. Needed the clarification there, thanks a bunch. :)

qqwref 02-3-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410973)
Well, I don't view files as "playing the song" but "interpreting the song." That's probably the most crucial contrast between how I view files vs. most people today; I view ghost notes as an interpretation of the song's energy. If you actually dance to a song, you tend to move your body to a generalized composite of every rhythm it has. When I use a ghost note I'm not thinking about how the song is being represented in the notes but how your hands are moving to the song, similar to how an Irish dancer would add rhythms to the melody.

If this is what you feel - and to be honest I've lately been starting to feel similarly - you should probably move in the direction of stepping "expressive dumps", since people generally expect totally serious files to be very technically accurate (and this includes most FFR files, except the easiest). The expressive dump category is pretty wide, from files that are mostly technical but have a few ghost note sections, to files that are completely composed of rhythms that aren't in the song but nonetheless try to highlight the energy and feel of the music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410973)
Also, I like difficulty spikes a lot. They're used a lot in Korean music games and I like their effect. They make for great entertainment when someone is capable of doing them.

Difficulty spikes are normally fine, but they don't belong in a combo-based game like FFR, where a bad player who can mash-combo the hardest part will always outrank a skilled veteran who can't. Basically that's the problem I have with them. Unlike in the avmiss era, hitting a fast jack section is now just a matter of being able to vibrate at least as fast as the jacks, and there are plenty of people out there who lack in actual skill but are pretty decent at vibrating or mashing.

dore 02-3-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3410996)
Difficulty spikes are normally fine, but they don't belong in a combo-based game like FFR, where a bad player who can mash-combo the hardest part will always outrank a skilled veteran who can't. Basically that's the problem I have with them. Unlike in the avmiss era, hitting a fast jack section is now just a matter of being able to vibrate at least as fast as the jacks, and there are plenty of people out there who lack in actual skill but are pretty decent at vibrating or mashing.

I disagree with that. I don't think you should alter your stepping philosophy due to combo scoring, because regardless of someone mashing a FC getting a better score than someone going for PA and missing once, you're still talking about one player doing less shittily than another, and a AAA will still beat those scores. It's not like anyone's going to mash at the top of the leaderboards, and honestly, it shouldn't affect stepping/judging just because it would affect the middle of the leaderboards.

bmah 02-3-2011 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3410185)
its a fix for it jx

bmah mentionned fixing it but that was about it. i didnt know

So what do you want to do about it? If you want to keep the current one as is, then you can send one more file in this batch as a result, considering that one of the files you've sent was the fix.

qqwref 02-3-2011 02:10 AM

dore: Ah, but unless the song's very easy or very hard, if there's a serious difficulty spike, most of the active players are gonna be hanging out right around that middle section. So it's reasonable to assume that files with an extremely hard-to-FC section will annoy a lot of people, even if that section is accurate. If you look at judging as trying to get in files that the active players will like the most (and complain about the least), then it makes a lot of sense to take off points for a huge difficulty spike. As far as stepping philosophy, I deliberately use a somewhat different one for FFR because the scoring system is (currently?) so different.

bmah 02-3-2011 02:12 AM

I view difficulty spikes as challenges and it's rewarding when you do manage to pull through successfully. I strongly discourage stepping with the consistency of a flat plain.

But I get your point.

Niala 02-3-2011 02:22 AM

I like that philosophy, qqwref, it makes a lot of sense given the game we play. Overzealous difficulty spikes can ruin a chart.

bmah get on aim. >(

Arch0wl 02-3-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3410996)
Difficulty spikes are normally fine, but they don't belong in a combo-based game like FFR, where a bad player who can mash-combo the hardest part will always outrank a skilled veteran who can't.

Fair point, and that's why I didn't submit Birthright to FFR. (Well, that and I knew I'd have to completely change it to make it suitable for the judges.)

One thing to consider, though: Korean music games use combo scoring ubiquitously and almost every game with combo scoring also has frequent difficulty spikes.

who_cares973 02-3-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iironiic (Post 3410835)
Sent Passage D. (Edit: High 11 or low 12)

From now on, I think I'm going to send one file at a time, unless I stockpile enough for the next upcoming batch after this one.

Pick ffr or DF for passage D

championanwar 02-3-2011 03:59 AM

Quote:

****, i stuck it in the e-mail :/

Niala 02-3-2011 04:36 AM

Files queue'd on 2/1/11 (23)
Xkur Top Secrut Preview!!!!!!! (MarioNintendo)
Snow (Silvuh)
The Crow's Newspaper (TC_Halogen)
to the Heaven -Driven Beat Remix- (kjwkjw)
Sigh (SKG_Scintill)
Thrash the Plank (T-Force & Niala)
{Lazy Summer Days} (Silvuh)
Chik Habit (AlexDest)
Above (Silvuh)
Ark (leonid)
A Quick Death (wc & CBR)
AcidAce-Alliance (leonid)
When the Petals Fall (Silvuh)
Spacedust (Silvuh)
Sexplosion (woker-x)
Through The Martian Hell (woker-x)
Everything Went Numb (who_cares973)
Electronic Music is a Joke (AlexDest)
Positively Inclined RMX (DossarLX ODI)
Gene Gadget Zone (bmah & TC_Cyrenics)
Four Blockes Madness (woker-x)
honki sentai majirenjaa (bmah)
Mysterious Desert (cry4eternity)

Can me and T-Force get our points please? OP was updated just forgot us it seems.

bmah 02-3-2011 04:45 AM

"collaboration files won't add points for you" - 1st post of thread

@anwar: actually, Experiment's not a resubmit, but a regular file iirc

Niala 02-3-2011 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3411058)
"collaboration files won't add points for you" - 1st post of thread

@anwar: actually, Experiment's not a resubmit, but a regular file iirc

I thought that was just for adding extra points, the initial 10 points I thought would still count. Sorry my misunderstanding.

EDIT: Go to bed >( you needa look purdy for tomorrow (later today.)

leonid 02-3-2011 05:53 AM

Three tarolabo files ready !_!

Niala 02-3-2011 02:42 PM

A couple of submissions for this batch:
Colibri - 10 or so, resubmission with a few fixes, biggest one being the sync.
Homosexual Love Scene - cute little 8 or 9 with some neat ACA (<3 wc)

kommisar 02-3-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3411027)
So what do you want to do about it? If you want to keep the current one as is, then you can send one more file in this batch as a result, considering that one of the files you've sent was the fix.

if you fixed it already it's all good. I'll make another file tonight :3

wait if i send a collab, does that count as my 5th? or can i send another

customstuff 02-3-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvuh (Post 3409842)
I'm cool with giving this a +. and letting it in the conditional queue, though.

Sooo... should I send in the newer version or?

ichliebekase 02-3-2011 07:39 PM

Collabs count as 0.5 towards your cap.

Source:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimerax (Post 3393299)
* collaboration files won't add points for you, but when you submit a collaboration file it's counted as 0.5 submission for each stepper.

iironiic 02-4-2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3411047)
Pick ffr or DF for passage D

Oh sorry, my brodda and I were talking about this and I wasn't aware of that issue. I choose FFR. (AJ and Kayla, sorry for one less file) :(

who_cares973 02-4-2011 08:56 AM

Them be fightin words

Looks like its a face off :twisted:

buizel8888 02-4-2011 09:14 AM

Dragonforce vs the world

I mean Dragon's Fury oops

jimerax 02-4-2011 10:39 AM

For judges (previous batch): check your PM (I should have sent that earlier, sry).

psychoangel691 02-4-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buizel8888 (Post 3411542)
Dragonforce vs the world

I mean Dragon's Fury oops

We aren't vs anyone. We put the site up because FFR was gone for so long. It's not like we're trying to make a huge site out of it. Actually we're now known as the FFR bomb shelter lol anytime there's some downtime here people come over there.

And got the Pm JX will take a look at the files in a few.

who_cares973 02-4-2011 11:27 AM

sun and stars
passage d
defection(collab)
a beautiful storm

get hyphy

kommisar 02-4-2011 12:27 PM

sent

SHE - musicmaker rx
Blitz Lunar - Mathsma Attack
Blitz Lunar - Heavenly Spores
S.S.H. - Dance and Zeal

and mystery 5th song I have no idea what to send suggestions?

who_cares973 02-4-2011 12:46 PM

step some shuriken

YoshL 02-4-2011 02:30 PM

sent...my first and second attempt at stepping :P
Electrolosys
Chopsticks!

Coolboyrulez0 02-4-2011 03:30 PM

Sent:

Thunderdome got Crunk [C/VC]
Grateful Para-die-se [VC]

NocturneAunamic 02-4-2011 05:57 PM

ok yes, i sent in Giants in the Ocean

buizel8888 02-4-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 3411576)
We aren't vs anyone. We put the site up because FFR was gone for so long. It's not like we're trying to make a huge site out of it. Actually we're now known as the FFR bomb shelter lol anytime there's some downtime here people come over there.

And got the Pm JX will take a look at the files in a few.

Hi it was a joke.

So next batch closes on the 7th right? I may be able to get something done that ISNT already badly stepped in game =)

cedolad 02-5-2011 12:28 AM

Only sent in Cybertron for now. Maybe I'll finish this other file before the batch closes. Maybe not.

DossarLX ODI 02-5-2011 12:58 AM

Hey guys, just a question - is having swear words in a song title allowed? Of course it could be censored (e.g. "**** the MPAA") but Rebound and I weren't sure of this.

jimerax 02-5-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 3411935)
Hey guys, just a question - is having swear words in a song title allowed? Of course it could be censored (e.g. "**** the MPAA") but Rebound and I weren't sure of this.

Yeah we can't use the words that are masked in the forum as they are in the game, but you can submit the file and it will be normally judged (It won't be rejected just because of the song name).

kommisar 02-5-2011 03:31 AM

i thought blu had submitted explicit lyrics before?

buizel8888 02-5-2011 06:12 AM

Lyrics are fine, they are talking about the name of the song itself

AlexDest 02-5-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3411612)
and mystery 5th song I have no idea what to send suggestions?

how bout that collab dood