Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   FFR Runners (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=136456)

xNiX 04-18-2014 10:22 AM

FFR Runners

I know FFR has a fitness thread (pretty sure it just died), but I was wondering if there are any long distant runners here either.

Poison- 04-18-2014 10:49 AM

Re: FFR Runners

I run 5k~ nearly every day now that the weather is nice enough

Edit: Just checked google maps and it's more like 3.5k oops :(

dAnceguy117 04-18-2014 10:53 AM

not sure if I can call myself a distance runner considering I haven't gone over 5 miles in a really long time haha. looking to get back into it, though. I'm living right on a major street with a ton of traffic, so that's not ideal for me, but I found a decent route for now.

about to pick up some new shoes soon. favorite brands anyone?

EtienneSM 04-18-2014 10:57 AM

2nd year running on my HS track team. Plan on doing cross for a second year as well.

1600m: 5:19
3200m: 11:28

Danceguy, I heard Saucony has some pretty good running shoes. I would definitely look into what they have.

Poison- 04-18-2014 11:03 AM

I have New Balance shoes. I'm not really serious enough of a runner to recommend a certain brand though. Running shoes are expensive as fuc tho

EtienneSM 04-18-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4118766)
I have New Balance shoes. I'm not really serious enough of a runner to recommend a certain brand though. Running shoes are expensive as fuc tho

I wouldn't say that. I bought a pair of new running shoes for $30 and they're probably the best shoes I've used yet (Then again, they were on clearance dropping from $80), but that's still not a bad price.

You can find shoes for a decent price, you just have to find the right ones. I just got lucky finding mine, haha.

Poison- 04-18-2014 11:13 AM

Maybe it's just Canada then. I can't find a good pair for under $100

xNiX 04-18-2014 11:53 AM

Just ran a little over 6 miles today. Feeling good.

That's great that I'm not the only one who runs here (ran for roughly 5 to 6 years). Etienne, when I was on my high school cross country team, my fastest 5k was 18:36. I didn't really run during track season - mainly just stuck to the field events since I was good at throwing disc. I still run but it's not same since I don't have a coach to push me.

Any of you guys use the nike+ running app? Maybe we could start like a group of some sort for runners.

xNiX 04-18-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poison- (Post 4118770)
Maybe it's just Canada then. I can't find a good pair for under $100

Depends on the type of shoe you want. You can get a good training pair for about 60 to 80 bucks. Flats are the same way too when your going for times.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4118756)
about to pick up some new shoes soon. favorite brands anyone?

For training, I think new balance or asics are pretty good. (Just bought a pair of NB today as well) I have a pair of pumas, but they are so uncomfortable over a period of time.

PrawnSkunk 04-18-2014 12:02 PM

I run varsity cross country and track. My university is on top of a fucking mountain so the only directions are straight down or straight up. Everyday is hill training unless I run on the track. I prefer running cross country and road races.. Track is more of a cool-down season for me. Not a fan of running circles around a rubber oval.

xNiX 04-18-2014 12:15 PM

Ugh, hill training is the worse, but very good conditioning. And yeah, I'm the same way too prawn. Running on the track is boring as fuck, but not bad for practicing sprints in my opinion.

bballa48 04-18-2014 12:28 PM

Oh cool, a running thread. Hello everyone.

Currently unable to run due to an achilles injury, so I envy all of you.

xNiX 04-18-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballa48 (Post 4118786)
Oh cool, a running thread. Hello everyone.

Currently unable to run due to an achilles injury, so I envy all of you.

Any chance of you running again anytime soon?

dAnceguy117 04-18-2014 12:45 PM

damn, sorry to hear that bballa :(

I didn't mind running 800/1600/3200 on a track honestly. okay maybe 3200m gets super boring, but below that I can handle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNiX (Post 4118777)
Any of you guys use the nike+ running app? Maybe we could start like a group of some sort for runners.

I don't know what this is yet but I'd be down

xNiX 04-18-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4118788)
I don't know what this is yet but I'd be down

It's this neat running app that tracks how far you've ran, burned calories, and logs your times. It even speaks to you while running and tracks your route using gps. You can also add nike+ friends to see when/how far another person has ran. I'd use the app more often, but I need to get an armband for my note 3.

Snowcrafta 04-18-2014 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to be pretty big into distance running

I recommend using strava, mostly because it's very easy to use and I've had it for over a year

Poison- 04-18-2014 01:35 PM

I've never really been one to run super long distances. I always preferred shorter distances at faster speeds

Snowcrafta 04-18-2014 01:38 PM

Whenever I run, I always set a minimum distance of 5k (3.1mi), and just let myself continue from there once I pass it, which usually is running about another mile or two to a bus stop

bballa48 04-18-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNiX (Post 4118787)
Any chance of you running again anytime soon?

Yea it's not a huge deal, just some ongoing tendinitis that flared up again.

The weather here in Virginia is just getting really nice too... I can't wait to get back out there.

Also, Strava is pretty sweet. It's definitely better for bikers, but I find it entertaining looking for routes around town that people have made.