Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Songs of the Week (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Songs of the Week (Aug 26, 2014) (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=138720)

One Winged Angel 08-26-2014 03:34 PM

Songs of the Week (Aug 26, 2014)

Caelumize [Standard]
Musician: void
Step Artist: hi19hi19
Song Genre: Purchased (1,000 credits)
Difficulty: 48
Song Length: 1:54

Eternity
Musician: Yuyoyuppe
Step Artist: XelNya
Song Genre: Classical
Difficulty: 11
Song Length: 2:07

Queen of Bootlegs
Musician: KafkaType
Step Artist: TC_Halogen
Song Genre: Dance 2
Difficulty: 73
Song Length: 2:26

Caelumize was renamed to Caelumize [Heavy] with Caelumize [Standard]'s release

Enjoy

Sorie 08-26-2014 03:42 PM

Re: Songs of the Week (Aug 26, 2014)

Is it just me or the songs aren't loading? Maybe I'm too early.

Edit: nvm, cleared cache, it's fine now.

Deidara837 08-26-2014 03:51 PM

They're loading now

One Winged Angel 08-26-2014 03:51 PM

All the songs work, I'm guessing you were loading them before this thread was made (mfw people actually catch the new songs during that two minute buffer period where swfs aren't up..)

Charu 08-26-2014 03:57 PM

I think this is harder than a 73 by the way, whoa, those steps feel awkward to hit, dohoho.

TC_Halogen 08-26-2014 04:00 PM

how do you guys like those last two streams :p

p.s. if you're sadistic enough to try the last four streams on index, they are all technically possible to index without using the same finger twice, but your hands are going to have to do some pretty ridiculous turns on the last two lol

hi19hi19 08-26-2014 04:04 PM

Fuck I forgot to layer the cymbals in the gallopy chorus section of Caelumize fuuuuuuck

That's so obvious now that I am playing it in FFR

Oops. Still a cool file tho
Hope you enjoy a different take on this song

XelNya 08-26-2014 04:08 PM

Oh yay Eternity is in game.

It's one of my favorite files I've made :D

hi19hi19 08-26-2014 04:16 PM

Queen of Bootlegs was pretty brutal. Seemed to me to be a pad conversion, most parts worked out well but there was some awkwardness on keyboard. Obviously AJ knows what I'm talking about so I won't belabor that issue :P
Not personally a file I'll be coming back to a lot but I recognize its value in the game. Nicely stepped technically with a very different feel and good practice, surely.
Also I like the song (what are the voice samples from? they sound familiar...)

Eternity... eh. Aside from the obvious PR errors, it's mostly just a shitty song for stepping. Generally new players want something that won't put them to sleep (I know this from watching many new players and the songs they choose and which ones they like), so I don't think it will fulfill its purpose in the difficulty scheme very well.
Seems in general the judges accept too many easy files that are just solo instrument or a single layer. While they have their place, you have to make sure they're totally perfect considering there's only one thing to get right (so you better damn get it right) In my opinion, most recent files like this were too lenient in judging. PR or layering errors should be inexcusable in this type of chart.
Making a good easy file can be just as hard as making a hyperlayered bufang masterpiece, it's more complicated than just picking a slow song with very few sounds and then stepping it. What you want is the same kind of engaging song you'd make a 30+ file out of, but then NOT stepping everything takes a lot of restraint.
I wouldn't have accepted this at all if I were a judge, but I'm not so whatever... I just worry about the health of the community if we don't have solid beginner offerings that actually capture people's attention.

TC_Halogen 08-26-2014 04:23 PM

I personally think it provides some playability for new players because it demands a pretty decent amount of consistency at that level. You have to keep a pretty respectable pace, and a lower level player will enjoy trying to sustain longer streams like those. It does carry some PR detail to the song too, imo. It might not be perfect, but it's good enough.

hi19hi19 08-26-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TC_Halogen (Post 4189340)
I personally think it provides some playability for new players because it demands a pretty decent amount of consistency at that level. You have to keep a pretty respectable pace, and a lower level player will enjoy trying to sustain longer streams like those. It does carry some PR detail to the song too, imo. It might not be perfect, but it's good enough.

Perhaps the people you've introduced to the game are more competitive than the ones I have? Nobody I've introduced to the game has started out caring about their score, or their ability.
Most new players I show the game to want more to enjoy the songs as they play the game, as opposed to play the game while listening to the song. Get hooked on playing songs they enjoy, then grow to want to participate in the scoring system and the leaderboards and all that.
Subtle difference, but that's what's informing my opinions.

I think this type of chart has a place in the game, surely. Mostly I'm not satisfied with the technical aspects of this particular chart.
I bring up the song choice and community health issue in light of this release, because I think it's symptomatic of why the community isn't growing (among many other things, of course)

TC_Halogen 08-26-2014 04:36 PM

A player for any game is going to inherently want to do well their first play; it's the nature of a game.

That's how I view it anyway.

ilikexd 08-26-2014 08:58 PM

i'll agree and say sad piano solo stuff like this is usually a bad choice, not only in itself, but after considering how much of it already exists for files at this level

also i thought there was supposed to be a slowdown at the end of this track but it looks like it just got cut off sharply, that's pretty lame (i hope i'm not confusing this one with another)

VisD 08-27-2014 12:26 AM

You guys are going to love Atlast

XelNya 08-27-2014 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4189441)
i'll agree and say sad piano solo stuff like this is usually a bad choice, not only in itself, but after considering how much of it already exists for files at this level

also i thought there was supposed to be a slowdown at the end of this track but it looks like it just got cut off sharply, that's pretty lame (i hope i'm not confusing this one with another)

If you are referring to Eternity I caved and resynced the ending.

choof 08-27-2014 01:25 AM

more like queen of buttlegs h4h4

ilikexd 08-27-2014 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelNya (Post 4189547)
If you are referring to Eternity I caved and resynced the ending.

ah nvm, there is the slowdown, the sharp cut just confused me

XelNya 08-27-2014 03:26 AM

Yeah that is the album's cut. :(

hi19hi19 08-27-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4189335)
(what are the voice samples from? they sound familiar...)

Anyone?

Played the file again and now I'm really curious

p.s. front page post where

One Winged Angel 08-27-2014 11:54 AM

when xiz's graphic is uploaded to the site by admin

also samples are Kerrigan from SC2