Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What Are The Best Controls? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=148565)

Shodzzy 12-9-2017 08:16 PM

What Are The Best Controls?

I need to know this because I always watch pros play this game and they use A,S,K and L or something like that but I always use the arrows and cant keep up most of the time. So should I keep my controls or change them to something better? What controls do you guys use?

blindreper1179 12-9-2017 08:26 PM

Re: What Are The Best Controls?

Use what's comfortable. I use az and ']

Also make sure your keyboard can push all 4 buttons at once. You can easily find out on Google.

dAnceguy117 12-9-2017 09:36 PM

perhaps more importantly, at least to address first: which fingers are you using on those arrow keys?

devonin 12-9-2017 09:39 PM

It is generally assumed, going by the playstyles of -most- (but not all) of the top players, that "spread" is the optimal playstyle for playing at the higher level.

That is, any set of keybindings where you are using the index and middle finger of both hands for your four arrows. Things like ASKL or ASL; or AXML or whatever is most comfortable given the shape of your hand and length of your fingers.

That said, there are plenty of high-skill players who play Index (only index fingers) and even one-handed, but they do appear to be the exception statistically.

Shodzzy 12-9-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4600583)
perhaps more importantly, at least to address first: which fingers are you using on those arrow keys?

Index finger: Left
Middle finger: Up, Down
Ring finger: Right

devonin 12-9-2017 09:42 PM

We call that "One-hand 3 finger" and it is how most people start.

If you switch to a "spread" keybinding, for at least a little bit while you get used to it, your ability might drop, but there's an awful lot of data from an awful lot of people that you'll probably do better in the long run.

icontrolyourworld 12-9-2017 09:50 PM

for 1 handed play you should try out ~space bar ,./~ i play 1 handed this way using my thumb index middle and ring. I started out a couple weeks ago and it's working quite well for me!

Other than that if you really want to push hard and get incredible scores consider learning 2 handed play with index middle from both hands on a setup like dfjk

reuben_tate 12-9-2017 09:52 PM

For optimal play, I would definitely recommend spread as has been suggested. Of course, if you're just playing for fun, you can play however you want (sometimes I like to see what kind of scores I'm able to get playing with alternate play styles).

ASKL is a common choice for spread but there are a lot of other choices and it boils down to what feels comfortable and if your keyboard supports hitting all four of these keys at once. Here are some things to consider:
-spacing: you might want to do spread but have the key close together, such as FGHJ or have them far apart like QWOP.
-angled: ASKL has no angling to it. Some people like to play with V-shaped angle such QSLP or a ^-shaped angle such as AWIL.
-fingers used: most people play spread with their index and middle fingers although I know of at least one player that plays with their middle and ring fingers instead
-wrists: some people like to play with their wrists planted (resting on whatever surface) or non-planted (so that the part of your hand that's touching anything is your fingers). I've noticed most upper-tier players play with their wrists non-planted. I personally play with them planted. The reason I play planted is that I feel like I have more 'control' when doing so and because I find playing with them non-planted makes my wrists tired or sore. Players that play with their wrists non-planted usually experience more speed from what I've seen.
-general position: sometimes the general location of where you press keys could be more comfortable for you. For example, a FGHJ-player probably would not want to play QWER even though they are "equivalent" in a sense since QWER is shifted way too much to the left. Also, sometimes the position of keys relative to other keys could be important (e.g. you might want to avoid hitting the Windows key). I usually play with QWOP, but sometimes I switch to something else because I don't like how my left hand/wrist lays on edge of my laptop.
-keyboards: I personally just play on my laptop, but many higher-tiered players will tend to play on certain keyboards for optimal performance. There are multiple threads regarding keyboards if you look around.

I think that covers a lot of it. Happy keysmashing!

Rapta 12-9-2017 10:32 PM

"Can't keep up most of the time" Well, the pros you see playing stuff have been playing for very long times, so you can't just get the besta settings and do well right away, it takes a lot of practice on those settings.

Moria 12-9-2017 11:18 PM

Shodzzy 12-10-2017 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moria (Post 4600611)

best response so far ty

rushyrulz 12-10-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapta (Post 4600601)
"Can't keep up most of the time" Well, the pros you see playing stuff have been playing for very long times, so you can't just get the besta settings and do well right away, it takes a lot of practice on those settings.

That being said, I don't think there's anyone in the top 1000 who plays with one hand.

Travis_Flesher 12-10-2017 01:03 PM

ASDF is the #1 pick.

Moria 12-10-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4600711)
That being said, I don't think there's anyone in the top 1000 who plays with one hand.

natural selection

trumaestro 12-10-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4600586)
That said, there are plenty of high-skill players who play Index (only index fingers) and even one-handed, but they do appear to be the exception statistically.

Legit curious who still plays index.

blindreper1179 12-10-2017 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumaestro (Post 4600716)

I think???????? DJ RiDDeR does. When he plays that is.

ShadowDueler97 12-10-2017 02:24 PM

You literally can't play most of the songs on ffr with index style though, that's why there are files made specifically for index.

Also curious who still plays index.

Shodzzy 12-10-2017 04:49 PM

I still play with the arrows (index is left, middle is up and down, and and ring is right) but I think the best answers atm woud be ASDF or ASKL

Shodzzy 12-10-2017 04:59 PM

Tell me if I'm wrong, though. That's just what I think lol

gabrieljd 12-10-2017 07:44 PM

If you have two hands you should use them both.

devonin 12-10-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumaestro (Post 4600716)

Historically over time. We've had some high-end players who play index.

Bearing in mind that literally being D2 puts you in probably the best 10% of all players who've ever played, so even being a d5 or d6 index player makes you one of the best players on the site, even if it's not the best currently still active players.

mikehunter 01-23-2018 05:15 AM

I play with the arrows as well, it seems to me the most convenient option...

rushyrulz 01-23-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikehunter (Post 4606406)
I play with the arrows as well, it seems to me the most convenient option...

you should try to move away from that if at all possible. If you're still playing with 1 hand, switch to two, you will recoup your current skill level remarkably quickly, trust me and don't get stuck in a rut. If you are playing with two hands, try a different key setup with the same shape that you're already used to (like left down, num8, num6) because crowding your hands into the small area of your arrow keys is not very productive.

SK8R43 01-23-2018 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4600711)

Not anymore. But i used to be in the top few hundred iirc. same with bynary.
Nothing is wrong with playing with one hand, it just takes way longer to skill boost. I did with spread in months what took me years with one hand. I think i was considered one of the best so it can happen. Just takes more time, more patience and more playing haha

EDIT: It is possible to get ONI one handed, and some of the other harder skill tokens BTW.

Wayward Vagabond 01-23-2018 01:28 PM

Rgko for life

SK8R43 01-23-2018 03:31 PM

Does slanted feel better? I use xcm, and it feels pretty good tbh.

storn42 01-23-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8R43 (Post 4606429)

Honestly, slanted is probably only better if you are uncomfortable playing without it. I for example, used to play with sd45 for quite a few year. After a while i started to feel like my right hand was getting cramped so i switch to sd48 and titled my keyboard. my hand was in a more natural resting position and, although it felt really weird at first since the keys were more spread out, its much more comfortable and what i continue to play with today.

Tarrik 01-23-2018 04:30 PM

I used to use "z x . /" but have changed over the last year to "K L Down Right" due to destroying the bottom of my keyboard (z to / anyway), anything else feels awkward at this point.

I used to play One hand 3 fingers when i started the game though. One hand can be fun, just like index. Long term improvements and skill though, you'd want spread. Key setup is all about what feels comfortable i guess.

PrawnSkunk 01-23-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarrik (Post 4606432)
I used to use "z x . /" but have changed over the last year to "K L Down Right" due to destroying the bottom of my keyboard (z to / anyway), anything else feels awkward at this point.

I used to play One hand 3 fingers when i started the game though. One hand can be fun, just like index. Long term improvements and skill though, you'd want spread. Key setup is all about what feels comfortable i guess.

I used to play zx./

It was alt bait.

Wayward Vagabond 01-23-2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK8R43 (Post 4606429)

Concave has always felt better for me. It might have to do with my giant ass hands but I can't play standard setup at all

SK8R43 01-24-2018 04:27 AM

Welll.....i tried concave and its a no go. I cant even.. Like, i literally cant even. My fingers kept moving over and it feels so awkward XD I guess i only did try a few songs but i think imma stick to my normal setup haha

Tarrik 01-24-2018 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk (Post 4606448)
I used to play zx./

It was alt bait.

Oh yeah, for sure. That's why when you see me stream, i have no alt keycaps. It was from when i was using those keys, and keys near them lol.