Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Writing and Literature (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Favorite Manga? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=147003)

Mourningfall 03-14-2017 12:38 AM

Favorite Manga?

What is your favorite manga?

Mine's 'Dororo' by Osamu Tezuka. this 845 page behemoth sits proudly on my bedside table at all times.
It's a fantastic read I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates the astro boy era of manga.

ShurykaN 03-14-2017 01:05 AM

Re: Favorite Manga?

Maou no Hajimekata is honestly my favorite. It's quite lewd.

Hurleyisgod 03-14-2017 01:11 AM

Anyone who doesn't say berserk has either not read it, or is lying.

I'm biased, so what.

Edit: Aside from that I'd say Prince of tennis

Edit Edit: Or Nichijou if that counts, more of a panel comic though.

korny 03-14-2017 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurleyisgod (Post 4532417)
Anyone who doesn't say berserk has either not read it, or is lying.

Berserk is objectively the best Manga ever made

Honorable mentions: one piece and kingdom

drizzleRomanceGirl 03-14-2017 07:01 PM

i love No. 6, although i've only read the first 20 chapters or so

i also love orenji kakumei :D

DaBackpack 03-15-2017 02:53 AM

Berserk, Steel Ball Run, Diamond is Unbreakable, Oyasumi Punpun, and Cardcaptor Sakura are my favorites

(quite a spread, I know)

Superbearhands 06-14-2017 09:44 AM

official good tastes list:
berserk
vinland saga
mob psycho 100
tensei shitara slime datta ken
shingeki no kyojin
tokyo ghoul
yakusoku no neverland
hunter x hunter
drifters
planetes
boku dake ga inai machi
monster

Wayward Vagabond 06-14-2017 09:55 AM

DBZ you fuccen pleebs

Tia- 06-14-2017 10:12 AM

books are for nerds

MarioNintendo 06-14-2017 03:31 PM

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

SKG_Scintill 06-15-2017 06:34 AM

Oyasumi Punpun
Boku to Issho
Nichijou
Poputepipikku
Chikan Otoko

haven't read Berserk

JeffreySoftbark 07-6-2017 02:24 AM

Tokyo Ghoul
One Piece
Sweetness and Lightning
Air Gear
Initial D
My Hime
Black Lagoon

SKG_Scintill 07-7-2017 02:34 AM

inishal dee! dun-dun-dun hrooaaaaor

MixMasterLar 08-19-2017 11:41 PM

Rorouni Kenshin and Great Teacher Onizuka where my favorites years and years ago. In Kenshin's case the manga was the best way to experience the story (the anime was not near as good)

As an adult I have to give props to Doubt though it's one of the few I don't own but absolutely should.

valentineSM 09-5-2017 03:54 AM

maybe, i am a hero

Celebelian 09-30-2018 09:58 AM

Mob Psycho 100 was phenomenal!

Also currently reading Berserk and Dungeon Meshi, both very recommended.

Antori 09-30-2018 02:08 PM

one piece

i also like hunterxhunter and one punch man(not the comic)

Shxfted 09-30-2018 04:41 PM

Berserk and Hunter x Hunter

aka hiatus forever

MixMasterLar 09-30-2018 06:10 PM

Dude I've since read Diamond is Unbreakable and DBP is right on point with that shit.

Also, I didn't mention Uzamaki? That shit was nuts

Fallaise 01-22-2019 12:10 PM

I made this thread but if I was asked the same question these days you'd get no answer other than doujinshi, i call that progress

handpanda 01-22-2019 02:16 PM

One Punch man

Shadow_God_10 02-9-2019 10:31 PM

GE: Good Ending is a really good manga imo. Also I found Suzuka quite enjoyable as well as Dance in the Vampire Bund (I read some really mature shit for any minors wanting to check them out I have warned you)

MixMasterLar 02-10-2019 01:40 PM

Whenever this thread gets bumped I feel inclined to see if my answer would be different, but in this case I think Diamond is Unbreakable is still my favorite, and I will forever love Great Teacher Onizuka and Kenshin even if at times their age holds them back (GTO is actually pretty bad about that)

I've re-read the early volumes of Bleach and to be honest they hold up really for a JUMP series. I know the whole thing ends up going to shit but I really loved reading the whole substitution arc again.

I've also re-read the first 7 or so volumes of Nana after not having seen it for like 10 years and uh, I think i really want to like it more then I do. There's a lot of character and I enjoy a story that manages to avoid some supernatural twist but Komatsu Nana is a fucking horrible character.

Anyway this thread is devoid of any of Rumiko Takehashi's work and that pleases me unironically.

AutotelicBrown 02-10-2019 02:01 PM

Sorry but Ranma 1/2 is great. Wouldn't list as a favorite but :mrgreen:

I don't read a lot of manga but my favorites would be Arakawa Under the Bridge, Honey & Clover, Hourou Musuko and Clamp stuff in general. From more recent stuff I particularly enjoyed Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru.

MixMasterLar 02-10-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AutotelicBrown (Post 4666729)
Sorry but Ranma 1/2 is great.

But is it though?

qrrbrbirbel 02-10-2019 03:02 PM

History's strongest disciple because boobs
My hero academia because funny
One punch man because funny

AutotelicBrown 02-11-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4666732)
But is it though?

bigger :mrgreen:

-story- 04-17-2019 08:21 PM

Boku no hero academia n_n

Dinglesberry 04-17-2019 08:23 PM

shokugeki no soma

DaBackpack 04-17-2019 09:23 PM

mob psycho 100

Ambigous_Monk 04-17-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4671839)
shokugeki no soma

I don't know you but that's my favourite manga too ^^

cookerrr 04-10-2020 03:55 AM

I like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Shadow_God_10 04-10-2020 09:01 AM

I'd like to add here that Bloom Into You is possibly the best romance manga I've ever read

Black_Shield 04-13-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4666727)
I've re-read the early volumes of Bleach and to be honest they hold up really for a JUMP series. I know the whole thing ends up going to shit but I really loved reading the whole substitution arc again.

You probably know this already but, Tite Kubo didnt even want to write bleach as long he is did, his manager/plusisher made his keep going.

He got heavily burned out.

It's sad

Lpoool 04-13-2020 10:41 PM

I don't have a favorite manga yet, so one I really enjoyed is:
Onani Master Kurosawa.

Shxfted 04-14-2020 10:59 AM

Hiatus x Hiatus (god when will the hiatuses ever end...), Kingdom, Jojo, Haikyuu, Hajime no Ippo

Swedcxzaq 04-14-2020 04:40 PM

One Piece, Made in Abyss, Berserk, Naruto, and TOG if we count Webtoons

klimtkiller 04-14-2020 04:53 PM

idk which is my favourite but i like the ones on fakku.net

MixMasterLar 04-16-2020 12:49 AM

I just ordered the first two deluxe sets of Berserk. Never read it (but do know about I'm in for) so I'll get to try that out

Not a manga but if you guys haven't read the webseries Scoob and Shag then you should. after about the 15th or 20th one it goes hella manga real quick and never stops.

Bluey444 04-16-2020 05:23 AM

I gotta say, Maximum Ride is my favorite.

It is so creative and fun. I have yet to finish it (if it is a completed series), but I enjoy the story

Kawakawa 04-16-2020 06:21 AM

I definitely think Made In Abyss is the best manga series I've ever read. A good seinen for anyone who likes dark, mysterious, tragedy, and borderline controversial :3

DossarLX ODI 04-17-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawakawa (Post 4725664)
borderline controversial

What's controversial about it?

DaBackpack 04-17-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mourningfall (Post 4532403)
What is your favorite manga?

Mine's 'Dororo' by Osamu Tezuka. this 845 page behemoth sits proudly on my bedside table at all times.
It's a fantastic read I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates the astro boy era of manga.

Dororo is a goddamn masterpiece. "Black Jack" is also a classic.

Devilman and Cutie Honey are also solid. I have a fuckton of respect for Go Nagai... the man literally invented ecchi and mecha manga.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4666727)
Whenever this thread gets bumped I feel inclined to see if my answer would be different, but in this case I think Diamond is Unbreakable is still my favorite, and I will forever love Great Teacher Onizuka and Kenshin even if at times their age holds them back (GTO is actually pretty bad about that)

Have you read Steel Ball Run yet? It's the absolute pinnacle of the Jojo series (and manga in general). Diamond is Unbreakable is my second favorite still; it has my favorite overall cast (<3 Rohan Kishibe) and the anime ironed out a lot of the pacing issues (e.g. introducing Yoshikage Kira earlier than literally 50% through the story)

My all-time favorite Jojo character after all these years is still Bruno Buccellati. I hope to cosplay as him someday. He's a true role model, absolute mom material.

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT: I almost forgot. Absolutely check out Gal Cleaning! It's a fucking rollercoaster of emotions for all the wrong reasons.

The plot itself is actually surprisingly interesting: the MC is forced to live with this spacey gal character, which sounds generic but the MC doesn't give a fuck about her and only cares about cleaning up the messes she makes in his house. The dude is just a master at cleaning his house. That's his thing. Entire chapters dedicated to "oh no, how do I get this juice stain out of my blouse?" and then him explaining the God-given blessing of lemon water and baking soda. He's the goddamn Sherlock Holmes of housekeeping. The manga is wholesome, informational as fuck and the MC is a massive chad.

Unfortunately the publishers announced they'd be axing the series after its conclusion due to low sales. This announcement occurred partway through the syndication and... uh, the mangaka had a fucking SEISMIC MELTDOWN at the news. There's literally no other way I can describe it. The ending of the manga goes off the fucking rails, driving the readers into the realm of LEGENDARY BAD.

You will notice that the MyAnimeList posting tells you the manga has 25 chapters. You will also notice that the manga itself only goes up to "Chapter 10." Why is this, you might ask.

The answer is because Chapter 8 is actually 15 chapters long. It starts at "Chapter 8" and ends on "Chapter 8.99." I'm not fucking with you. How do you prevent your manga from being cancelled? Easy, make it such that it never fucking ends, give us the Sexual Horror equivalent of Haruhi's Endless Eight. And yeah, throughout Chapter 8 we get to see the mangaka losing his goddamn mind in real-time, all while we're subjected to absolute storytelling ASS. As an experience, reading Gal Cleaning! Chapter 8 is like reading the entirety of Berserk's Golden Age Arc except every character is fucking Casca.

I had the absolute pleasure of witnessing this disaster as it unfolded in real-time, and I had a support group of some IRL friends to weaken the impact. It's the manga equivalent of watching a squirrel get run over by an 18-wheeler and staring at its dismembered lower-half, just waiting for it to stop twitching. There's just... nothing like it. This dude from the MAL forums described it best:

Quote:

its the evangelion of gyaru manga
So yeah, this was important enough to hijack my entire post. Godspeed, Comrades.

DOUBLE EDIT: I turned this into an actual MAL review because fuck it, nothing actually matters

MixMasterLar 05-24-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4725722)

Have you read Steel Ball Run yet? It's the absolute pinnacle of the Jojo series (and manga in general). Diamond is Unbreakable is my second favorite still; it has my favorite overall cast (<3 Rohan Kishibe) and the anime ironed out a lot of the pacing issues (e.g. introducing Yoshikage Kira earlier than literally 50% through the story)

My all-time favorite Jojo character after all these years is still Bruno Buccellati. I hope to cosplay as him someday. He's a true role model, absolute mom material.

I have read Steel Ball Run and it is absolutely one of the better parts. The only reason I want Part 6 to be animated is so we can get closer to Steel Ball Run the Animation

Buccellati and Narancia are the best two characters from Part 5. All time favorite Jojo character? not sure atm. Buccellati, Rohan, Gyro, Joseph, and Okuyasu come to mind as particularly enjoyable though.

(it's probably Bruno tbf)

gold stinger 05-24-2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 4725706)
What's controversial about it?

late af answering, but it's a Seinen portrayed as a Shonen initially. Some content could be considered Gekiga (strictly adult content, think berserk).

Obviously gets controversial when it looks like PG13 content and then it escalates to 18+ content.

Gingerham 05-27-2020 08:11 AM

Berserk for sure

DossarLX ODI 05-27-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4730989)
late af answering, but it's a Seinen portrayed as a Shonen initially. Some content could be considered Gekiga (strictly adult content, think berserk).

Obviously gets controversial when it looks like PG13 content and then it escalates to 18+ content.

"Anime is for kids!!1!!1!1!!!"

As long as it doesn't have female nipples or male/female genitals, then it's good under Japan's laws. Lots of series abuse that trick.

MixMasterLar 07-8-2020 03:19 PM

I actually started reading Berserk. Amazon was selling the Deluxe Editions at pretty solid prices and I decided it was time to see what the deal was.

Holy fuck

I don't know if I saw DBP's Gal Cleaning edit but remind me in a few months to check that shit out if I don't post about it.

The_IL_Guy 10-23-2020 01:15 PM

one piece

katanaeyegaming 12-3-2020 04:56 PM

I don't read many mangas but 2 I can recommend are Berserk and Darker than Black

Shadow_God_10 12-5-2020 05:54 PM

I am sure I've posted here before about my many rated 18+ manga

Dance in the Vampire Bund is a fantastic read

EDIT: I have indeed mentioned Dance in the Vampire Bund. Oh well.

I guess I've been sucked into the world of doujinshi lately, original works are fun to read

Aleran 03-13-2022 06:46 PM

Fullmetal Alchemist is my all time favorite manga.

It's the story of two brothers living in a world where Alchemy is a real working magical form of science. They are on a quest to find the philosopher stone, an item that is said to give unlimited material for creating things with alchemy. They want this stone because they lost their body parts in a failed alchemy experiment when they were children and now need the stone to get them back.

During their search they meet a lot of interesting people and uncover a conspiracy surrounding he military controlling the country.

It's the best story I've ever read. The characters are memorable, the ideas are unique and the writing is amazing.

Kerori 03-15-2022 03:37 AM

I really enjoy rereading "Our Wonderful Days". Very cute feel good yuri manga