Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   can we get an interview thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=135809)

Shikari 03-15-2014 05:28 PM

Re: can we get an interview thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4097743)
Hope to God you find a boss like me, because I find all of the above posted infographic bullshit to be complete and utter bullshit.

If it looks like your resume was created by consulting "effective words" I'm going to dismiss you. If you come in with a bunch of prepared answers to "Common" questions, it's going to be super obvious and I'm going to dismiss you.

Here's how I do job interviews:

1/ Convert the 200 resumes I received into the maybe 3 or 4 people who have any chance whatsoever to get a job at my shop.

2/ Call them in for interviews.

2a/ Describe to -them- what the job is
2b/ Chat about things that have nothing to do with the job for about 5 minutes
2c/ Make sure they can handle the physical demands of the job

If after that, they aren't reading like a total asshole, or incompetent, or someone who clearly doesn't give a shit about the job beyond the fact that it is a job, I bring them in for two paid work shifts so they can actually work the job, with the customers, with the other staff. At the end of those two days, in consultation with my assistant managers, hire them or don't.

This... seems effective as fuck, Dev. I mean, you don't waste your time asking things you know they have obvious answers prepared for, and you put them in actual work to see how well they go.

On topic: my last interview involved three managers, three interviewers. The best one was the second manager. Instead of a classical interview, we just chatted. He asked me things about my life relevant to the internship in question, and asked in a way that my answer would show me how I would act in the workplace. Being an internship, I have to study a lot to earn certificates and the likes, so he asked me if I read books, and what kind of books. Then asked about how my english was, since English is not my mother language, and for how long I studied it. I felt comfortable with it and didn't fucked it up, so I took it as a cool thing.

I got the internship by the way.

JohnRedWolf87 03-15-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotrhythm (Post 4097762)
Don't overuse it and be yourslef (sic).

Pretty much this.

Also dress at least business casual.
If a socially awkward guy like me can get a job, anyone can. :P

MinaciousGrace 03-15-2014 07:52 PM

ive never done an interview in my life tru story

actually i lied i've conducted a bunch

Dizzy_Gear 03-15-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 4097759)
Anyone who asks bullshit questions in an interview = probably not worth working for

Also: Believe it or not, (based on some studies I'm too lazy to look up), a great deal of one's job satisfaction depends on how well you get along with your coworkers/manager.

THIS THIS THIS!!!

I got the VERY lucky chance to get into the Technician field starting off as a part time labor helper. My work ethic was so good and I was so driven once I heard that they were looking for full time employees that I would not slack off, though I never do (it's not part of my work ethics). And it really showed. The lead Techs, my supervisor and many others who had been there 10+ years knew I was a winner based on how I worked and how anal attentive I was (yes, they actually said that. xD)

The best thing for you when going into an interview is confidence in yourself. That and trying to do a lil research into the company and know what you're getting into.

Also, you sound disgustingly similar to me in the 'doesn't prepare for interviews' topic, KgZ. I think winging it is one of the better things to do. It helps prepare you for any off the wall questions an employer may ask (and some will do that to see how well you can handle being thrown off-topic).

Weirdly enough, as a gov't contractor, my interview was rather short and to the point, but that may have also been because i was just being hired to put hardware in bags for 4 hours a day. XD

choof 03-15-2014 10:13 PM

winging it only works if you're that kind of person

Reincarnate 03-15-2014 10:25 PM

Yeah, every interview I've ever "winged" I've crashed and burned pretty hard.

Sometimes interviews really do come down to "did you or did you not read the fucking Vault guide?"

DossarLX ODI 03-15-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 4097759)
Anyone who asks bullshit questions in an interview = probably not worth working for

Also: Believe it or not, (based on some studies I'm too lazy to look up), a great deal of one's job satisfaction depends on how well you get along with your coworkers/manager.

I thought that was common information. Being around dull people that aren't willing to work in a team is horrible to think about in of itself.

A rule of thumb is to review what position you're interviewing for so that way you can also discuss your qualifications for that position, but in a conservative matter. Don't create a resume that makes you sound like a pompous jackass, and you should certainly be ready to discuss anything you put on your resume. If you can't discuss something on your resume, it shouldn't be there.

kommisar 03-15-2014 10:54 PM

can i penetrate your avatar dg

j-rodd123 03-16-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 4098044)
can i penetrate your avatar dg

uhhh idk if u noticed or not....but dg's avatar is a cartoon O_O

>_> gonna go over here now.......

Cavernio 03-16-2014 07:17 AM

Faking confidence makes you look confident regardless, so it puts other people at ease which you'll pick up on, making you more comfortable with them.

choof 03-16-2014 01:56 PM

got the jorb

Cavernio 03-16-2014 02:29 PM

omg grats!!

JohnRedWolf87 03-16-2014 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4098302)
got the jorb

Congratsmania. :)

reuben_tate 03-16-2014 06:39 PM

Whoa! Congrats! :D I hope you enjoy it :)

GuidoHunter 03-17-2014 12:49 AM

Every industry's different.

A lot of the advice in those images on how to present yourself is good, and can apply to nearly every interview, but the advice on the questions can get really silly depending on the type of job for which you're interviewing.

My experiences regarding dress: suits can be too dressy. Consider the position and what you'll be wearing when you're working. Will you be wearing a tie to work every day? Don't you dare show up in less than a suit. Interviewing for a position in which you're like to get sweaty, dirty, or greasy? Wearing a suit could be laughably out of place and peg you for a total fish out of water, even though you're only wearing it for the interview. Business casual is the bare minimum, so you'd better be sure that it's okay if that's all you go with. Ties are another judgment call, but they're a very safe bet. Above all, rock whatever you're wearing; it's better to drop a level of dress and look confident in it than wear an ill-fitting suit that suggests you're conducting the interview in a very by-the-book manner.

A word on confidence: it's probably the most important trait, but keep it in check. Cockiness is a huge turn-off for pretty much anyone; keep in mind that you're being hired by a superior, so you need to prove yourself to be a good subordinate, too.

Just be personable, dammit. Nobody wants to talk to an interview robot who read every piece of advice literature and has an answer prepared for every question. Prove to the interviewer that you're someone he or she would like to be around and work with and you've fought half the battle in the first ninety seconds.

--Guido

GuidoHunter 03-17-2014 12:50 AM

Can we talk about being a good interviewer, too?

I want to get up and leave any interview when I hear the words, "Describe a time when you..."

--Guido

reuben_tate 03-17-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuidoHunter (Post 4098737)
Can we talk about being a good interviewer, too?

I want to get up and leave any interview when I hear the words, "Describe a time when you..."

--Guido

That's an interesting thing to talk about that I haven't thought of much. I think we all have heard of our fair share of advice on how to be a good interviewee. But what about the interviewer? For starters, being an unappealing interviewer could reflect badly on the company in the eyes of the interviewee which is not good if the interviewee gets multiple offers from various organizations.

choof 03-17-2014 11:17 AM

I have come to hate the phrase "tell me about urself"

JohnRedWolf87 03-17-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4098891)
I have come to hate the phrase "tell me about urself"

Same here.
I prefer more specific questions.

reuben_tate 03-17-2014 11:27 AM

I think being able to effectively answer that question is a good skill to have. I think it's good to have a 30 second "elevator speech" about yourself so when people say "what do you do?" or "so tell me a little bit about yourself", I'm well prepared. I call it an elevator speech because you should be able to give the majority of your speech during an elevator ride (which could happen if say you're at a job fair or conference or convention or whatnot).

Edit: In addition, I'm trying to work out different versions of my elevator speech that's tailored to my audience. For example, if someone asks about my research, I have three main versions based on the audience's familiarity with the topic.