Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Trying to relearn the Game of Go: Need tips and advice (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151182)

MixMasterLar 08-21-2019 03:08 PM

Trying to relearn the Game of Go: Need tips and advice

So I was never really good at Go and haven't played in probably a decade. Friend of me wants to get back into it as sort of something for us to do and we agreed to relearn/practice up while we shop for a decent board (I could use paper scraps for what it's worth, he wants a nice wood set) and find the time to play.

Thing is, I suck at the game and I know at one point he was actually ranked (fairly low) in it so I don't really want to walk up and get my ass handed to me.

We have a pretty varied community here so I know someone has had to played the game more serious then me. Any advice/strategies for a beginner?

the sun fan 08-21-2019 03:20 PM

Re: Trying to relearn the Game of Go: Need tips and advice

I have no idea how to play go but I want to learn

Funnygurl555 08-21-2019 03:33 PM

hit up mashi he's good at it

storn42 08-21-2019 03:35 PM

Dont stop, just "GO"

MixMasterLar 08-21-2019 03:57 PM

Oh yeah, what was Mashi's screen name on here again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4694203)
I have no idea how to play go but I want to learn

Table Top Sim Go games when? (trick question I work this week so like Saturday afternoon or Tuesday night)

Quote:

Originally Posted by storn42 (Post 4694206)

Dont stop, just "GO"

devonin 08-21-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4694200)
So I was never really good at Go and haven't played in probably a decade. Friend of me wants to get back into it as sort of something for us to do and we agreed to relearn/practice up while we shop for a decent board (I could use paper scraps for what it's worth, he wants a nice wood set) and find the time to play.

Thing is, I suck at the game and I know at one point he was actually ranked (fairly low) in it so I don't really want to walk up and get my ass handed to me.

We have a pretty varied community here so I know someone has had to played the game more serious then me. Any advice/strategies for a beginner?

I also suck at go, we should play online some time and flail around trying to pretend we understand even basic strategies.

Dinglesberry 08-21-2019 04:27 PM

read Hikaru no Go its a manga about Go for some reason lol

https://myanimelist.net/manga/20/Hikaru_no_Go

Funnygurl555 08-21-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4694211)
Oh yeah, what was Mashi's screen name on here again?

Table Top Sim Go games when? (trick question I work this week so like Saturday afternoon or Tuesday night)

charles claythorne

MixMasterLar 08-21-2019 09:42 PM

So There's two users with that name....

....but yeah, messaged sent. Hopefully he swings by and helps us out. I'm totally down to find the time for online games too, I'll post in here when I get my immediate schedule sorted (tomorrow was already planned for Pump it UP, Tai Chi, and anime)

MixMasterLar 09-1-2019 02:50 AM

Bumping this to say that I got this coming Tuesday night free, so if people wanna try to get some games in we should plan for it

I assume somebody knows a good site or one is easy googleable lol. Probably get in discord and start slappin' stones around 9 or 10 server time, or maybe earlier depending on stuff

Charles Claythorne 11-17-2019 11:33 PM

I'M SORRY I'M LATE BUT

I would totally be up for playing if you're still interested! I would not say I'm good (I'm about 12 kyu, but I haven't played regularly in a while), but if I'm teaching a beginner/relatively new person, I would be happy to help.

I used to play online via KGS, which I like because it's convenient and has useful features for teaching and reviewing games. So if you (or anyone else!) is interested in playing together, definitely let me know.

MixMasterLar 11-19-2019 12:11 AM

I'm still down to clown, but this week is actually gonna be ass. Might be around tomorrow night but if not lets try to get a regularly time next week. (Tuesdays. it should be Tuesdays). I'm MixMasterLar#5485 on discord.

I actually still never got any practice XD My bud and I just picked up pool at his request but I do still want to learn Go.

flashflash account 11-19-2019 02:33 PM

my old flip phone had Go on it, but it was extremely hard

DaBackpack 11-19-2019 04:17 PM

How much do you remember? It might be best for you to ask your friend directly for a tutorial or refresher. I got back into Shogi this way, by just up and playing a few matches with a friend IRL (at Otakon).

No reason not to ask online, and some YouTube tutorials might be nice, but for me at least it's most effective to learn in a real-time environment

or you can read that paper about AlphaGo :)