Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Brag Board (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Good programs / themes / packs for pad play only? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=149033)

Reincarnate 03-29-2018 02:59 PM

Good programs / themes / packs for pad play only?

Now that I've got time again I want to make DDR a regular exercise activity.

That said, I still suck at pad play. Max 300 still winds me and I usually fail the song. So I have to work up to it still.

On my Mac, I made a new Stepmania folder (version 5.0.12) with pad-play only stuff, this is my current listing:

My questions:

1. Is Stepmania still the program of choice, or is there some alternative I should be using?

2. Any notable themes, noteskins I should check out? I was always partial to the old ITG metal noteskin but I don't know what people use nowadays, I've been out of the loop for years now.

3. Any good pad packs I should be including?

blindreper1179 03-29-2018 03:20 PM

Re: Good programs / themes / packs for pad play only?

Go on smo, the packs are labeled pad, download those.

Kraezymann 03-29-2018 05:00 PM

ITG 3+, ITG Rebirth, xoon pad packs, ddr f4ns packs, mungyodance packs have some good stuff, the later Talon Mixes, Trancemania is all fully charted marathon songs, foonmixes, etc should all be fully charted so you don't need to worry about the hard stuff. If you do start getting into harder stuff try the mute packs, the earlier Talon Mixes, and the tachyon stuff when you get really good.

Stepmania is still the best, imo. I just downloaded 5.1 and it looks pretty slick. oITG is okay from what I've seen but I've had enough bugs personally that I just went back to sm. I use the exactv2 noteskin because I really like the shape/colour scheme. Almost reminiscent of the cell skin.

I'm playing more often now too, so if you wanna talk shop and laugh at my shitty accuracy gimme a shout in discord! Kraezymann#0389

rushyrulz 03-29-2018 05:01 PM

Not a pad expert here, but I can try and answer some of these:

Quote:

1. Is Stepmania still the program of choice, or is there some alternative I should be using?
Stepmania and its variants (OpenITG, SM5, Etterna) are still being used for all styles of play. OpenITG is geared a bit more toward pad play in my experience, while sm5 is a hybrid and Etterna is geared toward keyboard.

Quote:

2. Any notable themes, noteskins I should check out? I was always partial to the old ITG metal noteskin but I don't know what people use nowadays, I've been out of the loop for years now.
I believe Simply Love is the preferred theme for OpenITG and has been for a good while. ITG's Metal is a dope noteskin, go for it.

Quote:

3. Any good pad packs I should be including?
Not sure what your pad skill level is, but I'll just link this thread in case you forgot about it: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=133223

Kraezymann 03-29-2018 07:40 PM

Ayyyy sick list m80

dAnceguy117 03-29-2018 08:39 PM

do gpop's packs have full chart sets? I dont remember

Kraezymann 03-29-2018 09:31 PM

I believe so! Third one does for sure :)

Dinglesberry 03-29-2018 11:33 PM

Honestly man just get etterna, like.. People say it's not optimized for pad play (ratings), but theoretically speaking, if all you play is pad files, the ratings will probabaly be consistent

Plus etterna runs best, is the coolest, eats at all the chillest restaurants, wears the freshest clothes, and hangs out with all the hottest dudes

MarioNintendo 03-29-2018 11:55 PM

Out of curiosity, what's your equipment Reincarnate?

Dinglesberry 03-30-2018 02:12 AM

Obviously he means ur pad bro, what would anyone else be curious about "omggg do u run open itg or simply loveee xD"

dAnceguy117 03-30-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4614821)
Honestly man just get etterna, like.. People say it's not optimized for pad play (ratings), but theoretically speaking, if all you play is pad files, the ratings will probabaly be consistent

Ok but chord cohesion

Deamerai 03-30-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 (Post 4614898)
Ok but chord cohesion

IIRC you can still enable chord cohesion in the later versions' preferences.ini, so that shouldn't be a problem

PixlSM 03-30-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglesberry (Post 4614821)
People say it's not optimized for pad play (ratings), but theoretically speaking, if all you play is pad files, the ratings will probabaly be consistent

thats not how that works

Swedcxzaq 10-9-2019 10:21 AM

Vocaloid project pad packs are bomb if you are into that. Crapyard Scent is the ultimate pad meme pack, and Otaku's Dream is pretty good.

For pad play, I would personally recommend SM over Etterna mainly due to the larger variety of mods. Mods are funnnn.

rayword45 10-9-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4614644)
I believe Simply Love is the preferred theme for OpenITG and has been for a good while. ITG's Metal is a dope noteskin, go for it.

I'm not sure if the latest updates to Simply Love have an oITG version or not, the machine I play on runs SM5