Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Which video game has the best music? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=150082)

Hateandhatred 09-3-2019 08:33 PM

Re: Which video game has the best music?

Probably Brütal Legend as far as listening to songs on their own.

As far as giving the games a proper ambiance, I think the Gravity Rush series does it best

SubaruPoptart 09-4-2019 02:39 PM

In my experience, Super Hexagon and Just Shapes and Beats.

SH just cuz I love Chipzel and Chiptune; those three songs being my favourites from her.

JSAB because I love stories and song association, it's hard to explain but the songs mixed with the visuals are my favourite part.

Also electronic.

DaBackpack 09-4-2019 02:52 PM

When it comes to gaming resources, my absolute favorite site is HardcoreGaming101.net. Many years ago they had a campaign where they polled audiences to produce a list of the 1000 (!!!) greatest video game tracks of all time. It's a solid list and one I find myself returning to frequently.

It's a pretty balanced list, from a fairly niche serious gaming audience, so you don't see boring rankings of... Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Brothers, etc. It's a very diverse list: in the top 20 you have Chrono Cross, Castlevania 2, Ace Attorney, and even Umineko (!!!!). As you might imagine, Umineko wasn't popular in 2011 (it hadn't even been completely translated yet) but word had it that "certain tracks" were really good, so despite the game's relative lack of popularity, numerous audience members took the time to listen to the OST and placed these tracks highly. That should lend ethos to this list: it's not just "gamers promoting their favorite games."

Keep in mind that this was tabulated in 2011.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/bestvgm2011.htm

Dynam0 09-4-2019 03:32 PM

Final Fantasy VII, idc if it's nostalgia or w/e but it's just got so many good tracks in it. It can be pretty gloomy at times so probably not for everyone but it's got that cliché "soundtrack to my life" thing going on.

Another one that I really enjoyed was Super Mario RPG, such great adventure music that fit the game perfectly.

An interesting question from me would be, "can you name a really good game that has bad music?"

I'm drawing a blank here because I think music is right up at the top for what makes a game valuable. (oh the irony of posting this in a forum dedicated to music games!)

DaBackpack 09-4-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynam0 (Post 4696963)

An interesting question from me would be, "can you name a really good game that has bad music?"

I'm drawing a blank here because I think music is right up at the top for what makes a game valuable. (oh the irony of posting this in a forum dedicated to music games!)

something something Sega Genesis

Charu 09-4-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynam0 (Post 4696963)

Doom (32X version)

V-Ormix 09-4-2019 04:14 PM

call me a weirdo but i like megaman x4 ost

but i forgot mario paint too... man there are too many good games to choose from :v

rushyrulz 09-4-2019 04:33 PM

runescape tho

Josemba 09-4-2019 05:04 PM

Tibia Online

Kouen 09-5-2019 01:03 AM

For me... Megaman X

DaBackpack 09-9-2019 12:50 PM

Ryu Umemoto, the lead composer for the game, used numerologic principles from Zen Buddhism to compose the tracks from this game. I can't say I exactly know how that works (except in the context of FM Synthesis) but still, quite amazing how many VGM artists come in with no classical training and become legends.

EDIT: Would be remiss to not plug this banger for the 100th time:

Dinglesberry 09-9-2019 01:07 PM

Not gonna lie I expected those songs to be terrible considering its you but theyre actually pretty nice, albeit sort of generic.

The soundtrack of Majoras Mask has the best music to me personally, its not all things you would normally listen to but its very experimental and imo has a certain charm to it, and fits the game exactly. It may not be the best songs for just listening but it captures what the game is about perfectly. For example, the way the clock town theme gets more and more corrupt and darker on days 2 and 3, or the way stone tower theme changes when the temple becomes inverted are amazing

I also fuckin love the bomberman hero soundtrack alot - it got me into drum and bass when I was younger and totally introduced me to music genres I never even considered possible (way back when I was a wee lad). The person who composed it posted the entire soundtrack on soundcloud and its great. My favorite personally is https://soundcloud.com/junechikuma/r...o-june-chikuma realtor, half because the levels its featured in are fuckin great and anti gravity and unique af, and half because its just a bop all in all.

Moria 09-9-2019 03:23 PM

not the best by far but this song from 4 goddesses online is really catchy

Moria 09-9-2019 03:27 PM

As for best, I'm gonna say the higurashi VN series. Something about the few bgms it has seems to encompass a wide range of scenarios

DaBackpack 09-9-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moria (Post 4697848)
As for best, I'm gonna say the higurashi VN series. Something about the few bgms it has seems to encompass a wide range of scenarios

It's a solid OST, and the sound direction utilizes the OST to its fullest potential. That's why the author labeled it a "sound novel", and it is tremendously effective for horror settings. i.e. sound is scarier than sight

Moria 09-9-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4697855)
It's a solid OST, and the sound direction utilizes the OST to its fullest potential. That's why the author labeled it a "sound novel", and it is tremendously effective for horror settings. i.e. sound is scarier than sight

thats the most beautiful thing i've ever read, idk where you got the from or if you came up with it by yourself but im gonna use that. i've never seen anything expressed more clearly

MixMasterLar 09-10-2019 01:16 PM

He had it handed down from the Sage of Truth himself

Funnygurl555 09-10-2019 01:43 PM

ROLLING AROUND AT THE SPEED OF SOUND

GOT PLACES TO GO GOTTA

FOLLOW MY RAINBOW

choof 09-10-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBackpack (Post 4697855)
sound is scarier than sight

true as fuck

Staiain 09-11-2019 07:01 AM

witcher 3 or maybe nier automata are pretty amazing, oh and ori and the blind forest