Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Is my song really that bad? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=103693)

Mans0n 12-4-2008 09:32 AM

Is my song really that bad?

This is the newest song ive made. I've been using fruity loops for almost 6 months now, and ive got to say ive learned that it has many capabilities. This song shows how much better ive gotten compared to my first songs. so please give me criticism and advice.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/191860
Im just wanting to know because it got 0 bombed which I hate.

bluguerrilla 12-4-2008 09:34 AM

Re: Is my song really that bad?

Yes. (brb listening)

No it's not terrible but for this type of music it needs to go somewhere and not be so... Ordinary.

Elaboration:

Put more effort into the drums /ilistentobreakbeat

Do more with that synth /kindaboring

Make it longer and do some sort of actual progression. The feeling of the song is just sort of... droning.

Mans0n 12-4-2008 09:38 AM

Im still adding on to it. synths and whatnot. the bass gets tiring after a while.have to go to school right now so ill be back after school to work on it. even though ive added stuff already.
anyways bye ffr.

DJSBX 12-4-2008 11:03 AM

wtf thats horrible advice.
People wont learn unless other people tell them what they are doing wrong or what they can improve on. When youve just started, the best idea is to release everything and if people are willing to listen, they can give advice.

bluguerrilla 12-4-2008 12:10 PM

I don't think he dislikes it.

He got bad ratings and wants to know if people think it's actually bad, etc.

championanwar 12-4-2008 12:47 PM

I like it. It would be a good game. I'd add some vocals (like from a movie and stuff). For a start, it sounds really good. It has potential, hope to hear more from it later on :)

Mans0n 12-4-2008 06:46 PM

And yeah bluguerrilla i just wanted to know if people actually thought it was that bad.
and me myself personally like all my songs. since i made them. and im look for critisicm and things i can improve on.

Zybanthia 12-4-2008 06:51 PM

Well, like bluguerrilla said, it needs to go somewhere. I second that suggestion. Essentially, your songs is a 7 second loop repeated for a minute and a half; any significant change would be interesting. Perhaps gradually increase the tempo over a couple measures, and then do something completely new with the melody using the techno synth.

Mans0n 12-4-2008 06:56 PM

well after the buildup i play the main bass again then I added a background/leadish type melody to go with it. and the buildup is pretty much the low cut filter sweep.

Adamaja456 12-4-2008 07:02 PM

its not that bad. but its also not that great.

I would suggest playing around more with FL. maybe watch some tutorials on aspects you dont know yet.
Create differently melodies that are strong and compliment the percussion. that might help the overall feeling of the song.

Cyanite 12-4-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mans0n (Post 2911291)
well after the buildup i play the main bass again then I added a background/leadish type melody to go with it. and the buildup is pretty much the low cut filter sweep.

Filter sweeps and stuff are things that make a song interesting, not things that drive a song. Your melody was the same note repeating over and over again as well, not very interesting.

I had problems with this when I started too, so I can't criticize you for it, but try and make your music as varied as possible. Add new sections, change up the old ones, and try to do things with your music that keep people wanting to listen to it. Obviously it's not a realistic goal since you're still new to this, but try to make it a long-term goal.

d4u7211 12-4-2008 09:22 PM

yeah, add some more drum beats (try not to repeat so much with the drum beats), and change the synth up a little bit every now and then, try adding one more layer of sound in there. if youre looking to making it more than 2 minutes id definitely say itd be required to change the synth patterns and add another layer of sound to direct attention elsewhere. i like music that has multiple layers of sounds that gradually add in so that my attention is directed somewhere else instead of listening to the same sounds over and over, like a little surprise. just my opinion.

Mans0n 12-5-2008 08:55 PM

thanks for the help guys. Im still new to music making, but I will learn eventually.
I added another synth, the melody is really long , and i can't quite find a good drum beat to go with it.

championanwar 12-6-2008 09:57 AM

Upload the new one?

Mans0n 12-6-2008 04:00 PM

Yes i will upoad the new version of it, which is 4 mins now. in about 30 minutes or so, I need to make a few more changes.

alexdestructions 12-6-2008 04:10 PM

Song isn't that bad. But you should put some more melodies into it, the song has too much of the same melody.