Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Batch Forum (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116884)

bmah 01-4-2012 12:11 AM

Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submission Closed)

This batch had a cap of 100 files, and we quickly met that quota. It was completely unexpected. There's just too many files to be judged if the batch was left with no cap.

PrawnSkunk 01-4-2012 12:17 AM

bmah, I'm totally in the mood for you to slap down some hot batch pics~ <3

Rebirth0 01-4-2012 12:19 AM

I understand I missed everything and it's my fault for not checking how it's going to close 9 days early but damn.

Considering how me and tons of other people think its bullshit that submissions open for less than a week then close for months, I volunteer to create my own judging team to look at files submitted to the game and feed you actual judges the best files for your own judgements. Or I'll even do the damn thing by myself. Yes, I will go through 200 files a week by myself. It is getting just that annoying

Or we can start putting a lot more files into the game every week so we can get submissions open quicker.

Anaru 01-4-2012 12:21 AM

I think 1 more song per week would be fantastic :) Maybe even 2.

rushyrulz 01-4-2012 12:24 AM

the FFR Songbase is growing faster than the Earth's population

bmah 01-4-2012 02:21 AM

At the current amount of songs in the queue, I would definitely want to change that "three songs per week" (the forth being an old one from the previous week for reg. users) back to four songs per week, at the very least.

@Rebirth: considering how the regular batch has not occurred for a while, an overflow of files were submitted, so I'm sure that this won't be a regular occurrence. I'd expect submissions to come by more slowly next time around as the overflow decreases.

jimerax 01-4-2012 03:07 AM

It's a matter of the growth of submissions and the lack of judgement manpower of experienced judges, and quality/accuracy of the judgement itself.

3 judges/group was unendurable in terms of judgement quality(otherwise it requires quite skilled and consistent judges), 4 judges/group is acceptable minimum line. The new system is pretty nice, but it requires a bit more judgement resources.

Let's think how to solve then.

ideas for now:
- setting some all-through judges (judges who can judge all files).
- changing resubmission rule (only files that are close to the acceptance are counted as resubmissions)
- adjusting SAP-submission cap relations.

Well and increasing the song release pace is a possible idea, if people want and it doesn't hurt the song accessibility much. This needs a discussion to find the best answer too.

VisD 01-4-2012 04:01 AM

I think a song a day may work. Right now, what usually happens (well for me anyway) is the day the songs of the week are released and I have the time, I'll just go play through all of them. And unless they're notable, I won't play them again.

So 4 songs/week at one shot don't really benefit anymore from such a schedule of releases in terms of eyeballs/plays as, say, 1 song/day, but you end up releasing less songs anyway. A song a day, with maybe a break on one of the days, with the same frontpage news post being updated every day - that would probably generate just as much ~hype~, comments and plays for each song (if not more) while still increasing song release density.

Just my 2c of course, but I'd love to see the pace of song releases increased while attention being paid to each song not decreasing in response.

:)

also, batch photo‽ :-D

Anaru 01-4-2012 04:10 AM

A song a day? No way.

That's 350+ songs PER YEAR (excluding the flood of songs every Christmas season). That's way too much. In 5 years we'll have like 3000 songs x_x

VisD 01-4-2012 04:14 AM

That's why there's a day break, as well as to allow the last sotd released for that day to have some time at the top of the site before it gets obscured by the new week's sotds. Or it could always just be only weekdays ~

Xx{Midnight}xX 01-4-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VisD (Post 3606103)
I think a song a day may work.

No that's a little to much.

4 songs per week (plus a subby song every other week) with more frequent events would be WAY better at least untill the batch is down a deal.

Assuming 75% of this batch's charts get in that is.

Anaru 01-4-2012 05:29 AM

I think we've gone off topic. :(

Batch picture would get us back on track. :)

Hint hint.

nois-or-e 01-4-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimerax (Post 3606086)

I thought the idea of having a judge team was to avoid having a 'tass' that would be the be-all and end-all of what got into ffr?

IMO, regardless of how talented this person would be, there would be a distinction between what they like/don't like that will trickle into what files get into ffr and what don't.

However, if there are such people that would take on such a position (I know that rebirth/hi19 have expressed interest), perhaps a permanent judge team could be assigned to fast-track the judge system? For example, get hi19/rebirth/carlos & bmah to fast-track judging (only using names for the purpose of an example), so that for every 40 files that hit the batch email, they judge and write notes, send [x] amount of files to the queue and proceed to wait for the batch email to hit 40 submissions again. Have a 5th man to take the place of whichever of these 4 would happen to have a file of their own under judgement. Change the cap to a monthly basis, so that your current cap would = the amount of files you were allowed to submit per month.

Purely typing from the top of my head here, but a reasonable suggestion if there were people willing (and capable) to undertake such a task. We could potentially have a batch every few weeks with a week of judging, and slow down people that rush their charts for the sake of meeting a deadline, and raising the quality a fraction as a side effect.

//rant

dag12 01-4-2012 08:19 AM

Or just be more rigorous with judging. Tougher judging means higher quality files and fewer number of submissions due to fewer SA points.

Anaru 01-4-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dag12 (Post 3606175)
Or just be more rigorous with judging. Tougher judging means higher quality files and fewer number of submissions due to fewer SA points.

You mean, absolutely no chance for newb simfile artists to ever get a foothold in the FFR community?

New simfile artists = naturally worse files = less points = less submissions per batch = less motivation, etc..

leonid 01-4-2012 08:23 AM

An idea: keep the batch open all the time. Accept all submissions, put them into a judge queue, and periodically judge 50-ish (or less with a shorter period) files, first-come first-served.

who_cares973 01-4-2012 08:34 AM

I like Leonids idea

nois-or-e 01-4-2012 08:35 AM

//back-paged

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimerax (Post 3606086)

I thought the idea of having a judge team was to avoid having a 'tass' that would be the be-all and end-all of what got into ffr?

IMO, regardless of how talented this person would be, there would be a distinction between what they like/don't like that will trickle into what files get into ffr and what don't.

However, if there are such people that would take on such a position (I know that rebirth/hi19 have expressed interest), perhaps a permanent judge team could be assigned to fast-track the judge system? For example, get hi19/rebirth/carlos & bmah to fast-track judging (only using names for the purpose of an example), so that for every 40 files that hit the batch email, they judge and write notes, send [x] amount of files to the queue and proceed to wait for the batch email to hit 40 submissions again. Have a 5th man to take the place of whichever of these 4 would happen to have a file of their own under judgement. Change the cap to a monthly basis, so that your current cap would = the amount of files you were allowed to submit per month.

Purely typing from the top of my head here, but a reasonable suggestion if there were people willing (and capable) to undertake such a task. We could potentially have a batch every few weeks with a week of judging, and slow down people that rush their charts for the sake of meeting a deadline, and raising the quality a fraction as a side effect.

Anaru 01-4-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid (Post 3606179)
An idea: keep the batch open all the time. Accept all submissions, put them into a judge queue, and periodically judge 50-ish (or less with a shorter period) files, first-come first-served.

The thing is, I think the judges would be overwhelmed by the number of files.

I'm sure MANY, MANY people have well over 10, heck, even 50 files ready for submission. I think the current system is fine, except that the batch needs to open more often. I mean, come on. who_cares973 has like 60 files in his folder. -_-;

Also, having a batch open all the time would drastically DROP the quality of files.
People realize that batches do not open frequently, and only get to submit X number of files.
Thus, they must put their utmost effort into stepping songs, otherwise their X submissions that they're given every X months is wasted.

If the batch was open all the time, people wouldn't feel as pressured to step well.

who_cares973 01-4-2012 08:57 AM

Lol out of those 60 wips only like 6 are for ffr