Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Profiles (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   can't access anyone's public profile (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=118040)

bmah 03-27-2011 12:29 AM

can't access anyone's public profile

On the post of any user, you can normally access both his/her FFR profile and his/her public profile, the latter which is where some more personal contact information is usually found.

However, the link to a user's public profile seem to redirect you to his/her FFR profile instead. At the moment, it's impossible to access anyone's public profile.

For example, here's Kinx's FFR profile: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/profile/Kinx/

And here's the link that should normally take you to his public profile: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/....php?u=1651857

But that'll redirect you to the first link, the FFR profile.

Any fix on this please?

HammyMcSquirrel 03-27-2011 12:46 AM

Re: can't access anyone's public profile

Forum profiles were purposely disabled because we have the FFR profiles. The FFR profiles have to capacity to provide much more than the forum profiles could, so there really was no use for them.

Was there a certain convenience to the forum profiles that isn't on the FFR profiles that you'd like to see?

bmah 03-27-2011 12:51 AM

Well for one, personal info that was voluntarily provided by a member, such as email, IM contacts, and so on are nonexistent in the regular FFR profile. There are no specific places for these information.

Reason why I even click on "see public profile" is because that page provided such info that was never shown on FFR profiles.

edit: might as well delete public profile links

HammyMcSquirrel 03-27-2011 12:54 AM

Instant messaging handles are on the FFR profiles already. (The icons appear on your gamercard when you put in the information under the user cp.) The MSN icon is even on your profile. xD There isn't a spot for an e-mail so I suppose there could be a field for that.

bmah 03-27-2011 12:58 AM

I was about to say then, that it hasn't been brought up to a lot of people's attention. Those small icons are not very noticeable, and any public announcement that may have been brought up regarding the deletion of public profiles must've been low-key.

I'd prefer if I saw explicit links instead.

such as

my_email@hotmail.com

As opposed to clicking on a 17x17 pixel icon, which finally reveals that info.

All in all, just a case of my being unaware of these things, so w/e

leonid 03-27-2011 01:02 AM

I've been waiting for someone else to say something about this.. So it wasn't a bug

Velocity 03-27-2011 01:06 AM

Would you like me to add the contact info including email into the Details part of the profiles. It would allow for the full thing being shown.

HammyMcSquirrel 03-27-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 3441199)
Would you like me to add the contact info including email into the Details part of the profiles. It would allow for the full thing being shown.

Yeah, that would be cool. It's the only thing I can think of at this point that the forum profiles displayed that the FFR profiles currently don't display.

bmah 03-27-2011 01:15 AM

Yeah, that would definitely be a nice thing to do. In any case, the email would only be shown if a person willingly does so himself/herself, so no confidentiality issues here.

Sprite- 03-27-2011 01:28 AM

Agreed, email should not be shown by default. Only if the user chooses to show it.

jimerax 03-27-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HammyMcSquirrel (Post 3441200)
It's the only thing I can think of at this point that the forum profiles displayed that the FFR profiles currently don't display.

Things like "forum groups", "who visited" are the ones too, I don't think these are necessary at all though.

HammyMcSquirrel 03-27-2011 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimerax (Post 3441207)
Things like "forum groups", "who visited" are the ones too, I don't think these are necessary at all though.

Oh yeah. The recent visitors thing actually may be of interest to people. Someone suggested that for the FFR profiles some years ago. I don't think it got enough support for the old administration to even consider it, though. I'm pretty much indifferent, but maybe people would want that.

As for the social groups... I have no idea why those weren't disabled in the first place lmao

Velocity 03-27-2011 02:49 AM

Full text based contact are added into the "User's Details" block.

bmah 03-27-2011 03:18 AM

Hmm, I see you AIM on your profile details. If you wanted to show your email address, it'd show up too right?

As for me, don't see where to change those details...

HammyMcSquirrel 03-27-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3441231)
Hmm, I see you AIM on your profile details. If you wanted to show your email address, it'd show up too right?

As for me, don't see where to change those details...

If you're asking about the IM info, filling that in here and saving the changes will update it on your FFR profile. Not sure how the e-mail display will be toggled, but I hope it'll be an area under the profile settings where we can type it in.

Velocity 03-27-2011 12:47 PM

Email isn't added because there's no toggle to display it or not.

HammyMcSquirrel 03-27-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 3441345)
Email isn't added because there's no toggle to display it or not.

You don't have to have it pull information from elsewhere like the IM handles. Just make it work like the "About Me" or "Interests" section. You type something in, it shows up. You leave it blank, it doesn't.

It'd be nice for it to be flexible like that anyways. People can decide that way if they'd want their contact e-mail to be different than the e-mail they have associated with their FFR account.

Zageron 03-27-2011 04:58 PM

I think it would be cool to see "Recent visitors"

who_cares973 03-27-2011 05:16 PM

The forum profiles were kinda used for notffron

Maybe somehow add the membernumber to the URL link of regular profiles

Zageron 03-27-2011 05:22 PM

Typing in the member number forwards to the regular user profile.