Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   FFR Artist Compilation (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=122036)

Coolboyrulez0 01-27-2012 08:22 PM

Re: FFR Artist Compilation

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScylaX (Post 3625828)
Oh I get it, COLORS.

COLORS ! (with obligatory anime chick render because it'd be empty without it)

that's beautiful, i'll definitely use that 8)

sakura080789 01-27-2012 08:24 PM

o.O nice album art

Zageron 01-27-2012 08:26 PM

Oh, my song is called Flashlight.
Also, holy crap album art. o_o

SpookG 01-28-2012 03:01 AM

i kinda like the abstract version without the chick, since it forces me to compute more than oogle the drawing. But I am uncertain, as I am very tired,.

championanwar 01-28-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

ALL INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND HERE (will be updated daily):

Coolboyrulez0 01-28-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3626016)

Changed 8)
Will update later tonight after test taking concludes.

SpookG 01-28-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3626016)

You gonna let that saucy Brit garbage you like that, meng?

(Sup Anwar! It's been a while!)

That's right, Fish and chips, whatchoo got, huh?

( hey dude how you been?)

who_cares973 01-28-2012 05:11 PM

that album art is dope scylax just drop the anime chick it'll look cleaner and not so out of place

Gundam-Dude 01-28-2012 05:49 PM

– Get rid of anime chick. Art style doesn't match the background and the hideous rainbow gradient is way too prominent is fighting with the background. If you're going to apply a gradient on her like this, make sure it's subtle and at the very least lines up with the gradient in the background so it doesn't look like you random threw her in it for the hell of it. All in all, anime chick should go.

– CBR Presents is uneven with kerning. Kern CBR and Presents closer as well because I can drive a ****ing truck through that gap.

– Also, CBR Presents should line up with OMNICORE. It only makes sense that way.

– When using different styles/weights in a family, please use only one type. In this case, you mixed Helvetica Bold (CBRCD–001) with Helvetica Bold Condensed (OMNICORE). You use either regular or condensed, not both.

– Clarendon and Helvetica are good typefaces but mixing both together in the same word is questionable. The thickness of the stem and bowls of the Clarendon R is way too thin in contrast to Helvetica Bold Condensed. If you're going to pull something like this off, try to at least make it even in weight so it doesn't look completely and utterly out of place.

– Oh, and mixing type classifications together is questionable. Why are you mixing sans-serif with slab serif in the same word is what I don't understand. You don't particularly have any justification as to why other than "Clarendon R's are sexier than Helvetica".

– Also, the top of the Clarendon R doesn't line up with the other letters. It's a few points too short and is very noticeable. I didn't even need to put the image into Photoshop and pull out rulers to spot that.

– The lines in the background, try lining up all the type to them. It'll unify the look better as opposed to having it misaligned.

– Why is there a gloss effect on CBRCD–001 but no where else? Keep your effects consistent.

– Typography sin with the hyphen in CBRCD–001.

– Personally, those holes in OMNICORE as a result of the stroke is distracting. I'd fill the two gaps in with white.

– Likewise, where CBR meets with the anime chick is distracting.

Just some pointers for Scylaax for what he can improve and work on.

Coolboyrulez0 01-28-2012 05:53 PM

that's why i love you, gd :')

(maybe you should give it a shot *wink*)

How about this one, guys? Simple & clean (sepia effect is intentional of course):

wwplpmpn 01-29-2012 03:05 AM

yo scylax, your cover reminds me of this piece by james white

while his retrofitted 70s style imagery may not be congruent to what you had in mind, i suggest u take his approach to typesetting into consideration. remember that font choices are not to be taken lightly; effective typesetting can really bring a piece to life while thoughtless, haphazard typography will ruin it

idk what font hes using in the poster exactly (prob some futura-esque geometric sans serif) but it really emphasized the retro look and feel of the desigb

just be consistent in what ure trying to convey. every aspect of a good design has to have a purpose. if you can't think of a good reason for doing something a certain way, then u shouldn't do it. ur replacement of the helvetica r with the clarendon r suffers from this problem

anyway looks cool bru, but take out some stuff and tidy it up and itll look cooler 8)

ScylaX 01-29-2012 06:31 AM

Holy crap I wasn't expecting that much reaction guys. I like to be ExPErImENtal though. (also the font used for the poster wwplpmpn seems to be AvantGarde Md Bold)

(also yeah the font seems different because I was using League Gothic font and not Helvetica :ilied: )

Gundam-Dude 01-29-2012 12:36 PM

Looks better. Only other thing I'd suggest is giving CBR PRESENTS OMNICORE more breathing room at the bottom by shifting it up. Likewise with CBRCD–001 but shifting it down-right.

@CBR:
– Spacious but lacking some impact in terms of visual interest. Mostly due to how out of focus and grainy it is and the faint rainbow. It needs something more to it to make it less boring with all honesty.

– Adjust colour scheme a bit. Red, being the most noticeable colour in general, draws all the attention towards the bold OMNICORE. The message being perceived from the bold red doesn't seem to match the given context of your background colours. When you think bold and red, you think of something rather hardcore, blood boiling, and angry. In contrast, the muddy yellow and green is soothing and harmonious. Kind of polar opposites as a result of the green being mixed in, creating a mixed message. Everyone knows that red and green are complementary colours but in general they don't make for great colour schemes, especially with that colour palette being closely associated to Christmas.

– As such, it's a bit hard to incorporate a rainbow on top of two colours without one colour overpowering the other. Choose one colour scheme and use different shades, tints, and tones. Otherwise, go the opposite end of the spectrum and do the rainbow thing Scylaax was trying at the cost of making it look tacky.

– More than 2 typefaces that don't fit together. Basic rule of thumb: don't combine typefaces unless you -know- they go well together. You're taking a rather huge risk by using flashy typefaces like these as a result (which is why designers usually stick with classic typefaces as opposed to shit you'd find from like dafont and other sites). No more than 2 typefaces on the same page/canvas. There are rarely combinations of 3 that actually work well.

– CBRCD–001 is placed way too close to the corner. Give it more breathing room because it's suffering from claustrophobia right now.

– The small lightly coloured blob directly above the rainbow where it meets the green also keeps drawing my attention. Try to cover that up or something.

– If you're going for sepia, make it look like sepia. I can barely even see the resemblance, rofl.

Good call for making the type diagonal and off-centered. It makes it more visual interesting to look at. The strip behind the title also adds a nice touch and I like the fact that CBR Presents sits right on top of it. Also that the rainbow meets where the strip ends, creating a rounded triangular pattern.

Coolboyrulez0 01-29-2012 12:43 PM

Thank you for taking the time to critique our works, I think I speak for us both when I say it helps us grow as fellow artists.

And yeah saying it's "sepia" was honestly a really poor choice of words.
It's a gradient background with a rainbow image juxtaposed above the gradient and then filters / blending options were used.

Btw, my weakest area is typography, for certain, seeing as I've never had the chance to properly learn about it.
So hyped for typography class in college.

championanwar 01-29-2012 08:19 PM

Rob, where the **** have you been? Long time! ;D Life takes over and shit, all good though.
You best be submitting shit for this!

SpookG 01-30-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3626981)
Rob, where the **** have you been? Long time! ;D Life takes over and shit, all good though.
You best be submitting shit for this!

I actually mailed in about ten songs, because I am an asshole and am too lazy to choose, so CBR gets to instead while I continually bump his thread.

Coolboyrulez0 01-30-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookG (Post 3627223)
I actually mailed in about ten songs, because I am an asshole and am too lazy to choose, so CBR gets to instead while I continually bump his thread.

Appreciate it :>

Okay, Spreadsheet in OP updated. If you disagree with your Genre placement let your voice be heard. About another week or so of submissions and this is released.

Am absolutely psyched about the community involvement!

NumiGamer 01-30-2012 05:05 PM

I'm down if there's still room :D I'll shoot you an e-mail asap.

championanwar 01-30-2012 05:13 PM

*alternative

sakura080789 01-30-2012 05:16 PM

this is going to have some good tracks on it