Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ACTA is about to succeed (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=122332)

Xayphon 01-26-2012 01:03 PM

ACTA is about to succeed

Sorry to those people who thought the SOPA/PIPA threads weren't enough, but I felt the need to share this with you guys.

So here's the deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.zeit.de/digital/internet/2012-01/internet-produktpiraterie-urheberrecht
Begleitet von heftigen Protesten hat die Europäische Union einen internationalen Pakt gegen Produktpiraterie unterzeichnet. Das Handelsabkommen zur Abwehr von Fälschungen wurde in Tokio von Vertretern der EU und von 22 der 27 Mitgliedsstaaten unterschrieben, teilte das japanische Außenministerium mit. Deutschland war lediglich aus formalen Gründen noch nicht dabei, sagte ein Sprecher des Bundesjustizministeriums. Nach der Unterzeichnung muss das Abkommen noch vom Europaparlament und den nationalen Parlamenten gebilligt werden.

What this text says in tl;dr version:

- ACTA got signed by 22 of 27 memberstates of the EU (plus other states around the world)
- Excessive protests have been going on apparently
- ACTA has yet to be permitted by the european parlament and national parlaments

Here's a "more english" article
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/01/...vil-twin-acta/

pmonibuv1 01-26-2012 01:11 PM

Re: ACTA is about to succeed

.-.

sakura080789 01-26-2012 01:12 PM

:_:

flash dualist 01-26-2012 01:17 PM

T_T

Bluearrowll 01-26-2012 01:18 PM

Is there a link to the actual ACTA agreement we can read somewhere?

edit: wow it was in the article I was reading:
ACTA
http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/doc...doc_146029.pdf

Magicturbo 01-26-2012 01:45 PM

RIP

Izzy 01-26-2012 02:54 PM

How could Obama openly be against SOPA / PIPA and then sign in agreement of ACTA? It's like he just backstabbed us in the face.

Go_Oilers_Go 01-26-2012 02:55 PM

*waits for another video from Anon*

i love you 01-26-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3625060)
How could Obama openly be against SOPA / PIPA and then sign in agreement of ACTA? It's like he just backstabbed us in the face.

Pretty much. Words cant describe how pissed off I am right now.

Tyson ultima 01-26-2012 04:03 PM

can someone give me the tl;dr on this bill?

.Gazelle. 01-26-2012 04:14 PM

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The_Toymaker 01-26-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson ultima (Post 3625120)
can someone give me the tl;dr on this bill?

TL;DR internet ded

rushyrulz 01-26-2012 04:39 PM

^

Xayphon 01-26-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

So a few days back, the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) bill was killed due to overwhelming criticism and extreme lack of support. This is wonderful news and riot has indeed helped spread awareness of this. However, there i a less known, international, more aggressive SOPA, called ACTA (Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement) this not only applies to a country, it applies to any country who wishes to get involved. So far the US and the EU are already involved and this will have an even bigger effect than SOPA. This law has been discussed out of public view as to avoid public outcry. If ACTA passes, it will not only block sites, it will also block users who violate it. Your entire family might get BANNED FROM THE INTERNET for copyright infringement that happens on a day to day basis. ACTA also removes the safety of internet providers from liability of their clients, meaning that your internet provider might get shut down for someone using their services and infringing copyright. Be warned, ACTA not only bans users and websites, it also legalizes the government to monitor your online activities without any sort of reason whatsoever. SOPA and PIPA is dead, but the worst is yet to come. We must bring down ACTA as we did with SOPA.
Maybe this sums things up a bit and yeah, technically rip internet

Tyson ultima 01-26-2012 04:50 PM

I guess Obama denied SOPA cause it wasn't hardcore enough for him

Oni-Paranoia 01-26-2012 05:01 PM

Too bad if this happens you can expect worse than any public outcry.

Let me get banned for downloading an MP3 off of Mediafire and I will make Columbine look like a day at Disney.

Hey want my new SM pack? I'll ship you my USB with it on it, or come to my house.

Tyson ultima 01-26-2012 05:09 PM

Oh hey I need the new courses you made oni let me wait till we go to ctcon XD

rushyrulz 01-26-2012 05:32 PM

We are anonymous, we are legion.

xMUSICxMASTERx 01-26-2012 05:36 PM

We do not forgive. We do not forget.

rushyrulz 01-26-2012 05:39 PM

in b4 govt gets ddos

Choofers 01-26-2012 05:41 PM

nice internet

xMUSICxMASTERx 01-26-2012 05:42 PM

I doubt they will succeed anyways.

dragonmegaXX 01-26-2012 05:46 PM

Wow how are people this dumb ._.

Calcium Deposit 01-26-2012 06:00 PM

Its okay guys I will start a new internet.

DossarLX ODI 01-26-2012 06:04 PM

2012 has been a horrible year so far

supermousie 01-26-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcium Deposit (Post 3625188)
Its okay guys I will start a new internet.

I'll give you moral support.

edit: Wait, yeah. This Internet is utterly fucced. Go for it man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 3625192)

It's alright, we're all going to die in December anyway.

PriestREA 01-26-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 3625192)

I'm starting to consider the prediction by the Mayans to be true. I mean the Internet (which by some is considered the world, myself included to a measurable extent), may come to an abrupt and crude end. So far, SOPA/PIPA and now ACTA have been brought to our attention, and in light of this new information... Well, let's just say we may have to post "rip" on Internet's profile. As long as there's no copyright infringement.

:/

dragonmegaXX 01-26-2012 06:11 PM

If everyone stopped breaking the law this wouldnt be a problem

rushyrulz 01-26-2012 06:17 PM

Player plays internet card.
Government summons SOPA and PIPA.
Government attacks player's internet with SOPA and PIPA.
Player reveals trap card Anonymous and SOPA and PIPA are destroyed.
Goverment uses SOPA and PIPA's special abilities to summon ACTA.
Your move.

PriestREA 01-26-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX (Post 3625195)

If only it were that easy. I mean, it's a pressing and inviting place when you see "free music", or "free video game torrent", on thepiratebay, mediafire and so on and so forth. Sure, shutting down Megaupload was the governments ill attempt at reducing the effects of piracy, but at what cost? The result is just a large portion of extremely disappointed and unimpressed people, and Obama's choice to sign ACTA is exactly "like he just backstabbed us in the face" (Izzy 1).

Now, call me out if I'm being a little pessimistic or extreme, but Obama won't be winning the federal election come November. I'm pretty sure this view is ubiquitous within the U.S.

supermousie 01-26-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PriestREA (Post 3625194)
I'm starting to consider the prediction by the Mayans to be true. I mean the Internet (which by some is considered the world, myself included to a measurable extent), may come to an abrupt and crude end. So far, SOPA/PIPA and now ACTA have been brought to our attention, and in light of this new information... Well, let's just say we may have to post "rip" on Internet's profile. As long as there's no copyright infringement.

:/

By all means, go for it.
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/profile/internet/

rushyrulz 01-26-2012 06:21 PM

November is 10 months away, mind you. How long does it take for something like this to pass? hint: less than 10 months.

PriestREA 01-26-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 3625203)
November is 10 months away, mind you. How long does it take for something like this to pass? hint: less than 10 months.

Indeed it is, but this act is put into action on such a large scale; surely will stray people away from giving Obama another term. I definitely know it takes "less than 10 months", but people won't forget something like this.

EDIT: Even though it won't change the fact that ACTA may pass, people will choose against his re-election due to him being in office during the passing of said act.

rushyrulz 01-26-2012 06:27 PM

this is neat

PriestREA 01-26-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 3625207)
this is neat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Oilers_Go (Post 3625063)
*waits for another video from Anon*

Oilers called it.

dragonmegaXX 01-26-2012 06:30 PM

Anonymous :'3

Cyr 01-26-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX (Post 3625176)
Wow how are people this dumb ._.

not sure if srs

Shikari 01-26-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX (Post 3625209)
Anonymous :'3

I had to edit: "oh, I hate when people break the law, but I support Anonymous, GO ANONYMOUS, BRING DOWN THE GOV'T, YAAAAAAY"

Post Of The Year 2012, #1 and #2

Calcium Deposit 01-26-2012 06:33 PM

So I'm trying to start a new internet but all I got is a sparcstation 10 and a RJ-11 cable. This is a very RISCy project.

dragonmegaXX 01-26-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikari (Post 3625211)
I had to edit: "oh, I hate when people break the law, but I support Anonymous, GO ANONYMOUS, BRING DOWN THE GOV'T, YAAAAAAY"

Post Of The Year 2012, #1 and #2

Good job picking up sarcasm

EDIT: Not really

Cyr 01-26-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX (Post 3625213)
Good job picking up sarcasm

EDIT: Not really

No one likes it when someone is sarcatstic on forums for future reference

ELRayford 01-26-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcium Deposit (Post 3625212)
So I'm trying to start a new internet but all I got is a sparcstation 10 and a RJ-11 cable. This is a very RISCy project.

You are working to hard. All we need to do is implement THIS

25thhour 01-26-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELRayford (Post 3625229)
You are working to hard. All we need to do is implement THIS

Toilet WiFi. Fuccin' Genious.

star reaper 01-26-2012 10:07 PM

this sucks! :(

ghost- 01-27-2012 04:41 PM

why is everybody saying ACTA is a more secret and new threat?

ACTA HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS

sopa and pipa weren't shit compared to ACTA. god knows why they passed ACTA when it's WORSE. did they alter what ACTA stated or what? from what i'm seeing, no, they didn't alter shit. so why is ACTA passing now and wasn't passing back then?

Magicturbo 01-27-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost- (Post 3625726)
why is everybody saying ACTA is a more secret and new threat?

ACTA HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS

sopa and pipa weren't shit compared to ACTA. god knows why they passed ACTA when it's WORSE. did they alter what ACTA stated or what? from what i'm seeing, no, they didn't alter shit. so why is ACTA passing now and wasn't passing back then?

They've talked about it in secrecy for years. It only went viral recently when the whole load of countries around the global signed it, and the voting for it held in Poland was made publicly popular by protesters and Anonymous

ghost- 01-27-2012 05:02 PM

no, it was very well known quite a while ago. it even tried to get passed before.

i just dont' see why people are calling it the "new threat." it will all be resolved anyway, whatever

igotrhythm 01-27-2012 05:30 PM

Early sign of the ACTA apocalypse: Youtube channel TheOSTation has been terminated due to multiple claims of copyright infringement when clearly visible in each video's description was attributed copyright and distribution credits, along with the boilerplate "No copyright infringements are intended. The sharing of VGM does not destroy the video game industry, as indeed it helps it grow."

gg internet

Izzy 01-27-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotrhythm (Post 3625750)
Early sign of the ACTA apocalypse: Youtube channel TheOSTation has been terminated due to multiple claims of copyright infringement when clearly visible in each video's description was attributed copyright and distribution credits, along with the boilerplate "No copyright infringements are intended. The sharing of VGM does not destroy the video game industry, as indeed it helps it grow."

gg internet

I don't disagree or anything, but its still infringing copyrights whether it's intended or not. That doesn't really make sense. Uploading other peoples videos on youtube is kind of annoying imo.

But random songs out of old games where nobody is ever going to buy the soundtrack seems fine to me. Nobody gains anything by removing those videos.

omega_grunt666 01-27-2012 07:19 PM

You guys really need to read about what your protesting first.

SOPA/PIPA passing would have an immediate effect on the internet

ACTA is basically just guidelines for each country to set up their own laws against internet piracy. The whole goal of ACTA is to harmonize internet laws globally so there are stupid places with loopholes or international issues that no one knows how to resolve.

Read This

qqwref 01-27-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzy (Post 3625786)
Uploading other peoples videos on youtube is kind of annoying imo.

So? You think a video is annoying, which means nobody in the world should be allowed to view the video? You may not be consciously making that argument, but that's what it comes down to when people try to remove stuff they just don't like. And that kind of approach is what will eventually kill digital freedom.

Izzy 01-27-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3625795)
So? You think a video is annoying, which means nobody in the world should be allowed to view the video? You may not be consciously making that argument, but that's what it comes down to when people try to remove stuff they just don't like. And that kind of approach is what will eventually kill digital freedom.

I don't really think that's what I said at all.

qqwref 01-27-2012 08:05 PM

I don't think that's what you said either, but I felt it would be useful to point out that your statement was pretty much the basis of why copyright causes problems in the first place - because people think about how they feel about something rather than whether it helps/hurts in an overall sense.

Reincarnate 01-27-2012 08:22 PM

Quit buying into the fearmongering before I expose you all as morons again <3 :P

Xx{Midnight}xX 01-27-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oni-Paranoia (Post 3625153)
Let me get banned for downloading an MP3 off of Mediafire and I will make Columbine look like a day at Disney.

A little to harsh dude.

But let's look at it this way, if it ever came to someone getting banned they'd try to appeal it and if it got appealed well enough the Supreme Court [should] have a field day telling these people what they did is absolutely wrong.

I think the issue here is that the people in power, have neglected to remember (or care) that everyone has a list of "certain inalienable rights" and it's basically written in our constitution that they can't censor anything or prevent us from doing things that way. (By my understanding of it, which isn't very high.)

The other issue is that companies need to stop fighting illegal downloading. My dad put it this way to me once, "once something is on the internet, it can never be taken off. Everything you put on the internet in short, is always there." Embrace free downloads. Use them to get people to buy merchandise. Produce more material, make the material more unique. The problem of downloading is not only the users (us) the problem is with everyone else as well. I don't encourage free downloading don't get me wrong, we are stealing. But as it is, when an artist who makes more than someone like my mother (who is a server) and is complaining that they're losing money, despite living in their mansion, the world needs to point a finger and laugh at them hysterically.

ScylaX 01-27-2012 08:38 PM

ACTA will be voted in june and basically doesn't respect european rights.
I hope that the time granted to european deputies to properly examine the treaty will help them to be aware of that. All along with the multiple issues it'll created, may them be on information, freedom of speech, economy, AIDS or medications.

ghost- 01-27-2012 09:19 PM

someday...these men sitting in safety behind their desks will get what's coming to them.

someday.

Mau5 01-27-2012 09:23 PM

I swear. Old people these days.

Internet Age Limit Act please?

bmah 01-27-2012 09:24 PM

It's not that. Blame the greedy media companies.

Mau5 01-27-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3625877)
It's not that. Blame the greedy media companies.

Yess i suppose.
Well if you think about it.. how Lars Ulrich couldn't get his gold plated shark tank bar for his pool.. or how Brittney Spears had to sell her Gulf Stream 4 for the Gulf Stream 3 that doesn't even have a remote control for it's surround sound DVD..

Really makes you feel awful about ever downloading a song.. :/

fido123 01-28-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omega_grunt666 (Post 3625790)
You guys really need to read about what your protesting first.

SOPA/PIPA passing would have an immediate effect on the internet

ACTA is basically just guidelines for each country to set up their own laws against internet piracy. The whole goal of ACTA is to harmonize internet laws globally so there are stupid places with loopholes or international issues that no one knows how to resolve.

Read This

^ This

Stopping online piracy isn't a bad thing. It's understandably illigal to download things like albulms and software. We just need to go about it carefully so it doesn't censor the internet or invade anybody's privacy, or punish people into poverty.

Also I swear to god "Anonymous" is nothing but some bullshit one hacker group and a bunch of total morons on Youtube claim to belong to but it doesn't exist. It's not some undergroudn society it's just ****ing 4chan.org and other chan boards and nothing more.

ghost- 01-28-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fido123 (Post 3625963)
it's just ****ing 4chan.org and other chan boards and nothing more.

lol

fido123 01-28-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost- (Post 3625976)
lol

I hope you realize the idea that anonymous was ever some sort of organization or anything more than a type of internet culture was from some sensationalized and bullshit Fox News report...

Mau5 01-28-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fido123 (Post 3625988)
I hope you realize the idea that anonymous was ever some sort of organization or anything more than a type of internet culture was from some sensationalized and bullshit Fox News report...

I am anonymous

Oni-Paranoia 01-28-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fido123 (Post 3625988)

It's just what happens when a few intelligent or lucky people are able to bandwagon a ton of ignorant or bored people.

SKG_Scintill 02-19-2012 11:13 AM

Yes, bump.

Yes, a week old news.

Yes, valid to the subject.

http://beris.nl/jb/2012/02/14/breaki...-signing-acta/

Hooray for us dutch, we have sense!

XxMidigamixX 02-19-2012 11:33 AM

yay the dutch cares about the internet \o/.

Xayphon 02-19-2012 11:41 AM

A lot of European countries demonstrated against Acta on Saturday, 11th

Roughly 150,000 in Germany \o/

Cavernio 02-20-2012 09:33 AM

"Stopping online piracy isn't a bad thing. It's understandably illigal to download things like albulms and software. We just need to go about it carefully so it doesn't censor the internet or invade anybody's privacy, or punish people into poverty."

Understandably illegal and incredibly moronically stupid, backwards, greedy yet illegal fall into the same category here. When civilization figures out a way to not pay the tv networks (in a grand sense) of the world, and rather the individuals involved in actually creating a piece of art, perhaps we'll have a reason to get pissy about copyright laws.
But even beyond art and simple human enjoyment and benefit of watching a movie, listening to a song, reading a book, reading a controversial blog, etc, there are more serious reasons that may appeal to you more, to hate copyright laws and all things like them. Science itself is being held back, yes, human advancement, because people feel like they need to own and make money off research. Scientific research done for companies stays with them, that means any biological, chemical, pharmaceutical research, is illegal to share. Even publicly funded research gets published in journals that cost money non-trivial amounts of money to subscribe to,, even though the information is a few clicks away, even though all the physically needed hardware to access that supposedly public information.
Copyright laws are artificial barriers, and they are throw-overs from a time past, and no longer serve their purpose in a publicly beneficial way. Instead, they're walls that coporations which control media use to keep themselves as wealthy as possible. As technology advances, society and how it functions should also advance.
If you believe that downloading albums and software's illegal, think about your public library. Are libraries illegal? Why not? Man are they ballzy, they practically flaunt the fact that they not only have books for free, but yes! even movies and music.
What has changed now from the industrial revolution when libraries became a 'thing', such that the idea of a digital libraries (ie: the internet) is wrong? I mean, some libraries work on...donations! *shudder* Such an evil thing, the library should pay dearly for the rights to keep a book or album in their stock, just like Blockbuster did, may it RIP.
And what about second-hand stores? Selling your old CD collection is far worse...whoever buys them isn't even paying the artist! They're paying some third party that's unconnected to the original artist, clearly second-hand stores are an epidemic of mass proportions that will lead to the downfall of society.
Intellectual property rights are creeuz bznis.

Ultimately, the difference between what's existed in terms of copyright infringment back then and now, is theease at which we can work around not paying for something. We no longer need to make a trip to the library. We no longer have to search through bins at CD Warehouse, and then pay the establishment which probably bought it from a petty criminal who stole someone's entire album collection in the first place. Technology, which brought about the whole idea of 'albums' in the first place because you were limited by the size of your record or the roll of your tape, has surpassed the need to have producers and marketers and especially labels. Societies' have just been slow in catching up. People aren't slow to change, but filthy rich people who have innordinate power due to our free market philosophies, understandably, aren't ready to relinquish the Royal status that they have.

http://www.free-culture.cc/

I don't actually agree with one of the main tennets of this guy's ideal, that we must maintain the idea of ownership, and I never made it to the end of the book because of that, but there are some pretty good stories in there. And in it exists a philosophy that should work well with current-day society.

Regardless if you think all this rambling is garbage though, fact is is that copyrights for individuals is 7 years vs ??? years for corporations, (thanks to Walt Disney apparently).

Yes, this is all outside of SOPA and ACTA because I haven't read them (although I believe that they are probably bad), but stopping online 'piracy' IS a bad thing. The music industry got pissed off about Napster (may it RIP), coined the term 'piracy', spread it around that it was stealing plain and simple, and the public has adopted this view of it. Even though there already existed tons of forms of intellectual 'piracy' before the internet was a thing; even though no one in their right mind would label a public library as bad; even though anyone in my cohort used VCR's extensively and no one gave a shit; even though lending your friend your favorite physical copies of books wasn't wrong; even though second hand stores still follow valid business models even though they're clearly 'pirating'.
(Wait, it totally makes sense why the world adopted this view of piracy so easily; people who used Napster were at the time, young, impressionable people like me who were so giddy at the idea that we could listen to anything we wanted so easily, the days of taping music off the radio were gone!, we couldn't help but feel guilty at the prospect of it. Even with our playlists full of cartoon intros and hitlist music from over a decade ago-still past the 7 year copyright mark. Such free nostalgia has to be wrong, right?)
It is a very recent thing for corporations to be able to have this much control over the art they released, Disney notwithstanding...they became Royalty decades ago.
Unfortunately, that someone can even think that doing something like downloading Beatles music is wrong shows that the coporate backlash is working. Win the minds and you've won the fight.
The direction this whole kerfuffle will ultimately go towards, (the question is when), and the questions we should be asking ourselves, is fitting this ease-of-use into our lifestyle in a fair way, equitable way. (And here's where I get controversial and say that you can't fit such free art in a fair way with capitalism, and so we should ditch capitalism instead of ditching free art, or not paying artists at all.) Instead of thinking of all this free art as wrong, and then calling into question all these other free things, like libraries, we should be thinking of all this free art as right and good. Current DRM is doing an inadequate job/is working counter art.

I want to think that the most recent pushes of corporations towards reigning in their digital rights is like a final, last death surge as they struggle to stay alive, but I suspect we'll see far worse.

Pertinent to the discussion, just this morning my bf got a statement from Rogers (internet provider) saying that he was in violation of copyright laws for torrenting a south park episode. Only a warning though, but he freaked out about it, and deleted the file that's been a seeding torrent for months.
The sad, sad thing is that Rogers doesn't give a shit about this, but they're getting pressure from Vitacom to do this. And we pay ****ing 200$/month for phone, internet and cable from Rogers, and that isn't ****ing good enough. We go through their stupid hoops in their PVR schedule to record the tv we watch, but sometimes there's too much overlap, or we miss something, or we don't get the station, and so we torrent. We can't live without internet, no way no how, even if we can live without cable and illegal torrents, so we can't even ****ing boycott Rogers properly to put pressure on them. And I'm also pretty damned sure the creators of South Park don't give a shit either. It's all Vitacom, or whatever it's called. They call the shots.

irionman 02-20-2012 10:41 AM

People tend to ignore long ass diatribes like the one posed directly beneath me.

wildfireskunk 02-20-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irionman (Post 3641710)
People tend to ignore long ass diatribes like the one posed directly beneath me.

I thought it was worth reading and very interesting :)

Calcium Deposit 02-20-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irionman (Post 3641710)

I thought wildfireskunk's post was short and to the point, I am surprised you didn't say anything about the post above yours.

irionman 02-20-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcium Deposit (Post 3641715)
I thought wildfireskunk's post was short and to the point, I am surprised you didn't say anything about the post above yours.

I can always change it and make fun of his weird ass furry avatar. But I'll hold off for now since I'm about to go get food.

Aleste 02-22-2012 04:43 AM

Cavernio made some good points. i just wanted to clarify some of the earlier posts though... Obama wasn't even president when the US signed onto ACTA in 2006 lol. Blame the black guy, much?

It should be obvious that GREED is the catalyst for all these events in the US. Corporations in America have the money to affect our law making process. There's the real problem. I can't say that for other countries, however. 20,000 people in the streets of Poland seem to have their heads on straight.

fido123 02-22-2012 09:42 AM

(TL;DR at bottom)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavernio (Post 3641692)
"Stopping online piracy isn't a bad thing. It's understandably illigal to download things like albums and software. We just need to go about it carefully so it doesn't censor the internet or invade anybody's privacy, or punish people into poverty."

Understandably illegal and incredibly moronically stupid, backwards, greedy yet illegal fall into the same category here.

I think your ideology is moronic, stupid, backwards, and greedy. I program for a living. I build things that aren't quite tangible and can be copied and distributed with even more ease than a 700MB movie. I spent a lot of time learning how to program and gaining my current level of skill, and it takes months, if not around a year to work on some projects. If it were legal and sociably accepted in the business world to distributed all my work for free, I would be out of a job and probably work in a factory the rest of my life. Could you please tell me how that's fair? Just because what I make isn't tangible doesn't make it any less wrong to steal. I pirate things all the time, although understanding the moral implications, but I don't really feel that guilty when I steal a movie off the internet from a giant faceless corporation although I still understand it's wrong.

Quote:

When civilization figures out a way to not pay the tv networks (in a grand sense) of the world, and rather the individuals involved in actually creating a piece of art, perhaps we'll have a reason to get pissy about copyright laws.

How does Hollywood manage to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on some movies if they don't get any money? People who have created works of art like Larry David creating Seinfeld seem to be doing pretty well.

Quote:

But even beyond art and simple human enjoyment and benefit of watching a movie, listening to a song, etc etc etc.

Copyright laws aren't perfect and I agree they do need to change.

Quote:

Copyright laws are artificial barriers, and they are throw-overs from a time past, and no longer serve their purpose in a publicly beneficial way. Instead, they're walls that coporations which control media use to keep themselves as wealthy as possible. As technology advances, society and how it functions should also advance.

Without copyright laws hard working individuals who work in a moral manner like myself would be out of work.

Quote:

If you believe that downloading albums and software's illegal, think about your public library. Are libraries illegal? Why not? Man are they ballzy, they practically flaunt the fact that they not only have books for free, but yes! even movies and music. What has changed now from the industrial revolution when libraries became a 'thing', such that the idea of a digital libraries (ie: the internet) is wrong?

My mom works at a library and funny enough she was just talking about how the library can't possess certain fairly popular books/movies because the publishers won't allow it which I completely agree with. If you wrote a book, that it your intellectual property. People should be able to read your book and take the knowledge they learned from your book elsewhere but if the person who OWNS the intellectual property of the book doesn't want it in the library, I believe that person has every right to. Yes, people don't get to freely enjoy that person's property, but it's either that or she has no viable way of making a living doing what she does. If the intellectual property from books was allowed to be freely distributed as a law, and nobody bought books they just downloaded .pdfs and bought books from publishers, you'd have a lot less people writing books.

Quote:

And what about second-hand stores? Selling your old CD collection is far worse...whoever buys them isn't even paying the artist! They're paying some third party that's unconnected to the original artist, clearly second-hand stores are an epidemic of mass proportions that will lead to the downfall of society. Intellectual property rights are creeuz bznis.

I agree with that being illegal 100% because of points you've just mentioned. The money doesn't make it to the people who deserve it. It's the same as online piracy. I'm pretty sure there's a disclaimer on a lot of things like that saying it's illegal to re-sell the item.

Quote:

Ultimately, the difference between what's existed in terms of copyright infringment back then and now, is theease at which we can work around not paying for something.

The ease of it made it so far more people did it. With far more people doing it it becomes a problem actually worth some attention.

Quote:

Technology, which brought about the whole idea of 'albums' in the first place because you were limited by the size of your record or the roll of your tape, has surpassed the need to have producers and marketers and especially labels. Societies' have just been slow in catching up.

Then artists are free to do that. It doesn't all of a sudden make it unethical for corporations to sign into agreements with artists.

Quote:

People aren't slow to change, but filthy rich people who have innordinate power due to our free market philosophies, understandably, aren't ready to relinquish the Royal status that they have.

Again I'm sick of this idea that only the filthy rich benefit from intellectual ownership. It's plain wrong.

Quote:

Regardless if you think all this rambling is garbage though, fact is is that copyrights for individuals is 7 years vs ??? years for corporations, (thanks to Walt Disney apparently).

Agree'd

TL;DR
====================================================

I'd continue to quote bomb you but I'd be going over a lot of things so I'm just going to say my full opinion on it:

If I spend time and effort into making something, and I do indeed make something such as a computer program, a movie, a song, or a painting, that belongs to me because I made it, just like if somebody built a car with their own hands. It costs time, and money to do all of these things. It can take $100'000'000 to make a blockbuster, and can take tens of thousands of dollars to make the applications I deal with. It also takes knowledge and skill to do all of these things. Now I could keep everything I make to myself, or I can sell it to people under certain conditions. "If you buy my song, you're not allowed to distribute it to anybody else ok?" If you don't like that agreement, don't buy the song, it's not yours. You're not entitled to just take my song I've spend time and money on.

I agree copyright laws are long overdue for an overhaul, but this idea of it being perfectly fine and dandy to steal anything you want off the internet is totally retarded. Just because it's been done before in other ways doesn't make it right. The reason nobody cared about that so much back then was because those methods of going into second hand stores and stuff weren't really a big deal because it wasn't done nearly as much as online piracy today. Those other methods are still wrong assuming the terms and agreements say doing that isn't allowed. Your husband is in the wrong for downloaded somebody else's TV show, he only agrees to show people under certain conditions. I do it too. I hate this attitude of entitlement, just because something can be copied doesn't make it yours.