Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Films and Television (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Recommend me anime! (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=141146)

Cold Kitten 03-5-2015 05:00 AM

Recommend me anime!

So, I've only recently really gotten into watching anime and stuff, and I've watched some of the more recent mainstream stuff (SAO, AoT, etc) and enjoyed it but I'm not really sure where to go next!

I like basically all genres and am willing to give anything a try, which I know makes this more difficult because you can literally recommend me anything so it's hard to narrow it down. Just pick some of your favorites and list them!

As a sidenote, I watch most of my anime on crunchyroll, so if it's available there, that's a definite plus.

Things I'm Watching Right Now
- Hunter x Hunter
- No Game No Life

FF_rules 03-5-2015 05:04 AM

Re: Recommend me anime!

Literally teh best.

-On a serious note; I always recommend (after telling them episode 3 has actual rape in it) Kara no Kyoukai: Boundary of Emptiness.
(Seriously; it's pg16-18, ty japan)
Includes Magic, Martial Arts, Modern day Japan, Blood, (very rarely suggestive themes), a lot and lot of dialogue (Adapted from a Light Novel) and a bunch of character development.

It's an 8 part movie series that'll take about 10 hours to watch if you don't skip any of the opening/endings (I honestly enjoyed the soundtrack as much as I enjoyed the plot). Each movie is roughly 1 hour long but Movie 5 is written as a 1 hour movie told from 2 people's perspective making it 2 hours, really good narrative if not very confusing at first; movie 7 also being the conclusion movie and movie 8 being the short after story.

Honestly if it wasn't for Movie 3's I'd just recommend it to everyone but it the story as a whole is a little whacky at times.

Here's the opening clip of Movie 1. The movie's aren't in chronological order but they're written in a way that makes sense; it's enjoyable as a rewatch too imo since you can peace the story together between each movie.

Rapta 03-5-2015 05:05 AM

I'll post a list of anime that I enjoyed when I get home, but for now, Code Geass

Mourningfall 03-5-2015 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cold Kitten (Post 4285450)
Just pick some of your favorites and list them!

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Death Parade
Assassination Classroom
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ

and a few older classics:
Jormangand
Higurashi no naku koro ni (kai)
Steins;Gate
Gintama

or if you're into the more slice of life comedy sort've stuff:
Azumanga Daioh
Nichijou
Ouran High Host Club

EzExZeRo7497 03-5-2015 05:28 AM

- 5 Centimeters Per Second (romance/melodrama)
- Great Teacher Onizuka (comedy)
- Welcome to the NHK (comedy/psychological)
- Kokoro Connect (+ Michi Random) (romance/drama)
- Serial Experiments Lain (psychological)
- Steins;Gate + Burdened Regions of Deja Vu (sci-fi/thriller)
- Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (+ Rebellion Story) (psychological drama)

FF_rules 03-5-2015 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EzExZeRo7497 (Post 4285457)
- Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (+ Rebellion Story) (psychological drama)

I second this. (You can skip the anime and just watch the 2 movies + Rebellion for a more condensed story)
Imo; the 2 movies sum up the 12 episode anime fairly well; If you want to be a purest I recommend watching the 12 episodes in blu-ray format because of all the edits that happened after airing.

Red Blaster 03-5-2015 05:39 AM

Lol 5cm per second..most boring thing I've ever endured.

Travis_Flesher 03-5-2015 05:45 AM

Akira

FF_rules 03-5-2015 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Blaster (Post 4285460)
Lol 5cm per second..most boring thing I've ever endured.

It's the beta's love story.
That said I'll recommend a sport anime
Ping Pong the Animation (the art isn't what you watch it for)

Mourningfall 03-5-2015 05:49 AM

oh right, movies..
I recently got Rakuen Tsuihou: Expelled From Paradise.
It's excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone~ ´・ω・`

Red Blaster 03-5-2015 05:54 AM

On a serious note though, the cgi Captain Harlock movie isn't half bad.

I don't really watch much of the ongoing stuff nowadays, but Tokyo Ghoul has been alright from what I've seen so far.
Hamatora and RE-Hamatora are both really good.
The Ghost in the Shell revamp movies are great, but I think they require you to watch the series to really understand them though.
Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan).
Casshern Sins has an interesting art style.

And of course the obligatory weeb stuff like Bleach, Death Note, DRRR!, Evangelion, etc etc

FF_rules 03-5-2015 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mourningfall (Post 4285463)
oh right, movies..
I recently got Rakuen Tsuihou: Expelled From Paradise.
It's excellent. I'd recommend it to anyone~ ´・ω・`

It's a little on the deep end for anime weebness though; idk how far we can go before it becomes off putting. I enjoyed the plot though; and the mech designs were also pretty cool.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Blaster (Post 4285464)
Hamatora and RE-Hamatora are both really good.

I actually hated Hamatora; there were many things in it that I just couldn't enjoy about it, though if I were to list them I wouldn't know where to really start.

Cold Kitten 03-5-2015 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Blaster (Post 4285464)
On a serious note though, the cgi Captain Harlock movie isn't half bad.

I watched this a few months ago with some friends when we saw it on Netflix randomly. Literally our only way to describe it now is: SPACE MAGIC!

On a serious note, thanks for the recc's guys!! I'll definitely look into some of these. :) A lot are already on my to-watch list, but there's also plenty that aren't (and even a few I've already watched!)

Feel free to keep 'em coming! I'm sure I'll find a ton of free time again now that I actually have something to fill it with ahah

grizz13114 03-5-2015 06:10 AM

Angel Beats, Tokyo Ghoul, and 11 Eyes are all definitely worth watching

korny 03-5-2015 07:29 AM

Don't waste your time with Tokyo ghoul, the main character is a bitch.

One piece if you have the dedication.
Hajime no ippo
Code geass
Parasyte the maxim
Hellsing ultimate

Start there. Ignore everyone else. My list is objectively better. Promise.

ShadowDueler97 03-5-2015 07:57 AM

In my opinion Code Geass is far and away the best anime of all time.

XelNya 03-5-2015 08:08 AM

I saw someone mention Madoka Magica

I second third fourth and millionth that suggestion.

I've only seen it all the way through I think five times. I need to watch it again.

SillyKana 03-5-2015 08:13 AM

For someone just starting and with such an open mind, you honestly have so many avenues to go off of. A fair place to start is MAL's top list

http://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

Popularity isn't always attributed to bad things. Many of the anime up there deserve recognition for one reason or another and are usually good watches for anyone starting out. After you've cleared a few you'll start to get an idea for some anime, how they work, and maybe your favourite genres that you lean towards. You'll maybe even start to branch out into some gems of their genre that are regarded in other ways, or simply flown by the general populace's heads.

I think another important thing about directing yourself towards this top list is to have at least a single other person you trust entirely to give you an idea or rundown of what most anime will entail, and why it's popular. Someone who's non-objective, who can separate their own feelings about an anime, and give you a real idea about how to progress!

It's such a neat medium and I think if you treat it with care and caress it's head gently, it'll reward you back with wondrous tales and feelings.

Alternatively Code Geass is probably a rite of passage into the anime world, whether it's considered good or not

Cold Kitten 03-5-2015 08:15 AM

It's not so much that I'm against watching popular anime, it's just that most of it is already in my to-watch list or I already know about it and don't want to watch it or something like that, haha. Which is why I'm looking for stuff other people have to recommend that isn't already pretty popular. Thank you though!!

FoJaR 03-5-2015 09:41 AM

the devil is a part timer on hulu.