Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums

Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151943)

inDheart 06-13-2020 01:47 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
police departments are accidentally making good cases for further community investment that's not toward them. can we do that kind of reform?

aperson 06-13-2020 03:25 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731488)
what do yall think about reform

It didn't work the last hundred times we tried it surely it will work this time.

choof 06-13-2020 04:14 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aperson (Post 4731495)
It didn't work the last hundred times we tried it surely it will work this time.

I'd say I'm down for revolution but I don't want to buy a gun

choof 06-14-2020 12:35 AM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 

dAnceguy117 06-14-2020 03:21 AM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Mollocephalus 06-16-2020 08:59 AM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Just an honest question from someone who has never set foot in the US: do you really believe that every cop in a 300 million people country is violent, racist, corrupted or something along these lines? I've seen a lot of extreme generalizations made during these protests and i'm curious to know if what was said in the heat of the moment is an actual opinion people have of their own law enforcement.

choof 06-16-2020 09:59 AM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollocephalus (Post 4731631)
Just an honest question from someone who has never set foot in the US: do you really believe that every cop in a 300 million people country is violent, racist, corrupted or something along these lines? I've seen a lot of extreme generalizations made during these protests and i'm curious to know if what was said in the heat of the moment is an actual opinion people have of their own law enforcement.

what you think "all cops are bastards" means?
what do you think about the "extreme generalizations" made about protesters?

given the incidence rate of domestic violence from cops is anywhere from 20-40% (the actual stat is most likely higher), I'd say that a good number of them are at the very least violent
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...riends/380329/
http://womenandpolicing.com/violenceFS.asp

racism is baked into the system, our entire country was built using one of the most racist institutions the world has ever seen. don't forget that racial discrimination "ended" in 1968, less than 60 years ago. you can't get rid of racial discrimination in a single generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_immunity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence

not every cop is violent, racist, corrupted, etc. but every cop is complicit, and they will actively punish any cop who goes against the grain and speaks out about police brutality.

rayword45 06-16-2020 12:06 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
^More reading on that last part, be sure to check the references since this is wikipedia! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence

Mollocephalus 06-17-2020 09:34 AM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731633)
what you think "all cops are bastards" means?

:thinking emoji:
all cops are literally bastards i guess?

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731633)
what do you think about the "extreme generalizations" made about protesters?

In my country the protests were covered in a pretty neutral way, showing many accounts of police brutality, vandalism from the rioters and looters but also a lot of peaceful protesters with legitimate reasons to protest. I don't make generalizations and don't agree with them, especially seeing how they were strumentalized to justify the use of force.

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4731633)
given the incidence rate of domestic violence from cops is anywhere from 20-40% (the actual stat is most likely higher), I'd say that a good number of them are at the very least violent
https://www.theatlantic.com/national...riends/380329/
http://womenandpolicing.com/violenceFS.asp

racism is baked into the system, our entire country was built using one of the most racist institutions the world has ever seen. don't forget that racial discrimination "ended" in 1968, less than 60 years ago. you can't get rid of racial discrimination in a single generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualified_immunity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_wall_of_silence

not every cop is violent, racist, corrupted, etc. but every cop is complicit, and they will actively punish any cop who goes against the grain and speaks out about police brutality.

This is legit disgusting, only heard and read partial informations about these things before. But even then, being detached from the actual events I feel it's not really helping when you make a blanket statement about a whole category. It just further divides people into polarizing positions. Which if we wanna see things from a broader perspective is a big problem in the digital age. I would feel better about it if the slogan was against the system instead of the people.

choof 06-17-2020 04:55 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollocephalus (Post 4731673)

This is legit disgusting, only heard and read partial informations about these things before. But even then, being detached from the actual events I feel it's not really helping when you make a blanket statement about a whole category. It just further divides people into polarizing positions. Which if we wanna see things from a broader perspective is a big problem in the digital age. I would feel better about it if the slogan was against the system instead of the people.

the blanket statement of "all cops are bastards" doesn't mean "fuck all cops" or "kill all cops" or whatever, it means "all cops are complicit in some way, shape or form." if some cops decide to put 19 rounds into a black kid (this has actually happened), those cops are absolutely bastards. but the quiet secretary who works solely at the precinct who sees the report and goes "huh yep this is okay," they're a bastard too.

inDheart 06-17-2020 08:04 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
atlanta prosecutor seems like a good person

we found out in philly that the decision to kettle and gas protesters on 676 came all the way from the top, so that's fun. next escalation i bet they break out the IEDs

the sun fan 06-17-2020 10:19 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
I, at risk of inviting criticism, refuse to believe all cops are bastards

one of my friends was a cop until last year (maybe a bit ago) EDIT: maybe a bit more than a year ago*
the very reason he quit was his disillusionment with the internal politics
was he a bastard up until the moment where he quit?
was he a bastard while he was on the force?

I can't seriously answer yes to these questions. I refuse to make a generalization that broad. There are good cops out there.

I cannot refute that the system is very, very bad. Not everyone involved is a bastard.

ilikexd 06-17-2020 10:41 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731708)
I, at risk of inviting criticism, refuse to believe all cops are bastards

one of my friends was a cop until last year (maybe a bit ago) EDIT: maybe a bit more than a year ago*
the very reason he quit was his disillusionment with the internal politics
was he a bastard up until the moment where he quit?
was he a bastard while he was on the force?

I can't seriously answer yes to these questions. I refuse to make a generalization that broad. There are good cops out there.

I cannot refute that the system is very, very bad. Not everyone involved is a bastard.

Assuming your friend was in Alabama just going off your location, what would he do / have done if he found someone was in possession of cannabis for personal use?

(e: looks like both my posts here are about drug laws and I don't mean to detract from the issue at hand of police brutality, I'm just using it as a convenient wedge for questioning the ethics of being a police officer, even with good intentions)

mellonxcollie 06-17-2020 10:49 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731708)
I, at risk of inviting criticism, refuse to believe all cops are bastards

one of my friends was a cop until last year (maybe a bit ago) EDIT: maybe a bit more than a year ago*
the very reason he quit was his disillusionment with the internal politics
was he a bastard up until the moment where he quit?
was he a bastard while he was on the force?

I can't seriously answer yes to these questions. I refuse to make a generalization that broad. There are good cops out there.

I cannot refute that the system is very, very bad. Not everyone involved is a bastard.

The problem is that he was complicit until the moment that he quit.

But even if we want to say that your friend is a great person, anyone who is a decent person is either disillusioned, bullied out, fired for nonsense, fired for being a whistleblower, etc. The institution is built so that good people can't exist within it. These people are temporary cops imo

dAnceguy117 06-17-2020 11:03 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
I personally like saying "fuck cops" 'cause it kind of implies "current and [especially] lifelong cops"

but really I'm just following the lead of little leftist circles I've started hovering around while I work on doing the bare minimum of educating myself in the background, lol. btw get the new humble bundle with 100% of proceeds going to helpful orgs y'all!!!!!

DaBackpack 06-17-2020 11:03 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
replace "cop" with "SS soldier" and you'll understand pretty quickly

the sun fan 06-17-2020 11:24 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4731709)
Assuming your friend was in Alabama just going off your location, what would he do / have done if he found someone was in possession of cannabis for personal use?

(e: looks like both my posts here are about drug laws and I don't mean to detract from the issue at hand of police brutality, I'm just using it as a convenient wedge for questioning the ethics of being a police officer, even with good intentions)

I live in Georgia (edit: now), not that anything has really changed from this side of the state border.

I... don't actually 100% know what he would've done. When he was still a cop, people there talked about smoking weed in front of him and another person who usually there was also a cop, and still is as far as I know.

If he were on the job, he probably would've """""done his job""""""
which I know is a bit of an ominous thing to say. I could ask him next time I see him what his stance is/was, and I probably will now.

Even if he believes in it, I still don't think it makes him a bastard.

mellonxcollie 06-17-2020 11:36 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731715)
If he were on the job, he probably would've """""done his job""""""
which I know is a bit of an ominous thing to say. I could ask him next time I see him what his stance is/was, and I probably will now.

Even if he believes in it, I still don't think it makes him a bastard.

To us it is an ominous thing to say, and something that people can have a "stance" on. To other people, mainly minorities and poor people, it means months, if not years behind bars for non-violent drug offenses

It's not just "ominous" when it is real people's lives being affected.

also if he "believes" that people who own cannabis for personal use deserve to be denied their personal freedom because of that, and actually has the power to enforce that belief, then he is a fascist bastard I'm really sorry

ilikexd 06-17-2020 11:39 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4731715)
If he were on the job, he probably would've """""done his job""""""
which I know is a bit of an ominous thing to say. I could ask him next time I see him what his stance is/was, and I probably will now.

Even if he believes in it, I still don't think it makes him a bastard.

If he says he would have done his job i.e. arrest them, often for incarceration, do you think that's that's an acceptable thing for him to do, especially in a way that is disproportionately harsh on people of color, especially when a few states over the same drug is so important it's declared an essential business during a pandemic?

the sun fan 06-17-2020 11:51 PM

Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellonxcollie (Post 4731716)
also if he "believes" that people who own cannabis for personal use deserve to be denied their personal freedom because of that, and actually has the power to enforce that belief, then he is a fascist bastard I'm really sorry

I can't say this about him

I obviously don't agree with it, maybe his stance isn't what I think it is, even if it is, I can't call him a "fascist bastard"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution