Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Simulator Files (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rhythm Simulation Guide - 4k/6k Notecharting (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=129254)

Razor 03-4-2013 05:15 PM

Re: Rhythm Simulation Guide - 4k/6k Notecharting

a copy of this thread should be put in the ffr songs sub-forum imo

Choofers 03-4-2013 05:52 PM

this should be sent to jae immediately

NeoMasterPie 03-4-2013 05:59 PM

agreed
how 2 make a file (click da screenshot)

FissionMailed1 03-4-2013 06:14 PM

I really like the direction this guide is headed and it looks really good so far. Awesome job with this!

Razor 03-4-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3873995)
this should be sent to jae immediately

iwbed

kommisar 03-4-2013 07:35 PM

it's still subjective

stargroup100 03-4-2013 07:38 PM

except its not

Xx{Midnight}xX 03-4-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 3873969)
a copy of this thread should be put in the ffr songs sub-forum imo

Dude pretty much we could say Stargroup wrote the goddamned FAQ for that. This is literally everything you need to know.

Like seriously. Everything.

bmah 03-4-2013 08:23 PM

Stickied the thread.

Roar176 03-5-2013 05:59 AM

I read most of that sh*ite and it's g00de

I don't like the introduction to notecharting it's really influencing

You make it sound like "scoring files" and "artistic files" are two distinctives things which is something I noticed and disliked about you when you reviewed FFR4 because it seemed to me that because you can't play anything that goes beyond X NPS (X being your skill) therefore file goes to the "scoring files category". Seeing things that way, your opinion on a file is subjected to change if you gain or lose skills. If you are able to play the file then you will start seeing beyond the heavy loads of notes. Okay the reviews are subjective but if you do the same sh*ite in your guide it's not gonna work.
The way you say it it looks like if you do a file for "scoring" (I f*ucking h8 that word) a.k.a. it goes beyond X NPS the chart is devoid of any artistic value and obviously an "artistic" file cannot be made for "scoring".
And that sh*ite is wrong.

On top of that you obviously make it sound that making "artistic" files is the way to go. You start by saying that files made for "scoring" purposes are not serious and "artistic" files are the Rael Daels.
I read this multiple times:
"Oh you know ... you can do decent notecharts with basic knowledge you can make scoring files *giggleZ* ... or you can go pro and make artistic stuff with me. l00k @dis Grace notes OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH" ~Bufang The Apache
Obviously when you read it like that you don't wanna do "scoring" files it just sounds like it's for da newbs.

Anyways only separating the two things is already enough bullsh*ite to me. Difficulty doesn't make anything less artistic and you should know it after your X years of stepmania overseer career. Whenever someone mentions the word "scoring" he still has something to learn (that thing is there no such Thang as scoring files (proven by Nordic players (just click on Brag Board once in a while and you will see))).

But besides the introduction it's g00de stuff. Lots of techniques that people can learn. People should see it as a "tips & tricks" to notecharting and everything is okay. Most of the articles are very informative and not influencing or just slightly (as opposed to the intro). Needs more articles. GJ Steve.

stargroup100 03-5-2013 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roar176 (Post 3874178)
I don't like the introduction to notecharting it's really influencing

You make it sound like "scoring files" and "artistic files" are two distinctives things which is something I noticed and disliked about you when you reviewed FFR4 because it seemed to me that because you can't play anything that goes beyond X NPS (X being your skill) therefore file goes to the "scoring files category". Seeing things that way, your opinion on a file is subjected to change if you gain or lose skills. If you are able to play the file then you will start seeing beyond the heavy loads of notes. Okay the reviews are subjective but if you do the same sh*ite in your guide it's not gonna work.
The way you say it it looks like if you do a file for "scoring" (I f*ucking h8 that word) a.k.a. it goes beyond X NPS the chart is devoid of any artistic value and obviously an "artistic" file cannot be made for "scoring".
And that sh*ite is wrong.

On top of that you obviously make it sound that making "artistic" files is the way to go. You start by saying that files made for "scoring" purposes are not serious and "artistic" files are the Rael Daels.
I read this multiple times:
"Oh you know ... you can do decent notecharts with basic knowledge you can make scoring files *giggleZ* ... or you can go pro and make artistic stuff with me. l00k @dis Grace notes OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH" ~Bufang The Apache
Obviously when you read it like that you don't wanna do "scoring" files it just sounds like it's for da newbs.

Anyways only separating the two things is already enough bullsh*ite to me. Difficulty doesn't make anything less artistic and you should know it after your X years of stepmania overseer career. Whenever someone mentions the word "scoring" he still has something to learn (that thing is there no such Thang as scoring files (proven by Nordic players (just click on Brag Board once in a while and you will see))).

Very valid point and fair argument. I'll work on revising that.

stargroup100 03-5-2013 10:30 AM

Made minimal changes to Introduction to Notecharting to begin to address the issues Roar brought up. Any comments are welcome as revisions continue.

stargroup100 03-18-2013 06:41 PM

Two new articles added:
- Ghost Notes
- X-mod Effects

kommisar 03-18-2013 06:43 PM

I love you roar

stargroup100 03-20-2013 05:05 PM

The guide has had a little bit of reorganization as well as changes and additions.

- Reorganized minihold usage, mine usage, and X-mod effects to be found under the same category.

Additions:
- Grace notes

Revisions:
- Introduction to Notecharting
- Skill Analysis

bmah 04-13-2013 06:58 PM

For comparison, check out SG's old charting rules on KBO:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargroup100
These are the guidelines in which eVILPeeR follows while making his charts. It is generally assumed that most stepmania guidelines/theories are subjective, therefore do not take these guidelines as your own. They are only theories, not facts.

The song should guide the direction of the stepchart (IE pitch relevancy, layering, etc).

Picking songs for stepping is not difficult. The song should have good rhythm, be interesting, and have a good amount going on throughout the song.

Layering with hands is fundamental to deliver a proper arrowsmash experience.

Spread is the most efficient keyboard style and should be the only one used.

Files should be caterred 50% to both hands, unless called for otherwise (see #1)

It is generally OK to repeat patterns in a stepchart more than once, or even twice, as long as that part of the song is interesting and fun.

The graphics should represent the song to the utmost.

Perfect synchronization is almost impossible to achieve, but should be sought after.

You can be pitch relevant while using more than one set of patterns to represent a part of a song twice.

Steps should not follow the feel of the song, rather the layering should.

Using two arrows for one instrument is a waste. If that part of the song is intense enough, there should be enough instruments going on for the layering to represent how powerful it is. However, in the case where there is only a couple of instruments that are going on, it is acceptable to use "extra" layering to make up for the lack of instruments.

Song selection should be done for only two reasons (assuming the song you chose is steppable): you like the song, or the song is interesting.

"version 2" files are stupid and should not have to be made (unless it is a song you stepped terribly and you're re-releasing it for quality purposes).

"version 3" files are even worse.
BPM changes should be used when justified.

Do not double/halve the BPM of the song unless it calls for it (IE speedcore or gabber/quiet sections in a song)

Climax theory is very cool when used properly, and adds a lot of fun to the file.
Although stepmania is just a video game, stepcharts should still be made professionally for the sake of maximizing enjoyment.

Stepmania is srs business

Went a long way since.

ddrxero64 04-13-2013 08:02 PM

I've been reading a good chunk of this guide now and I'm really happy with how easy it is to follow. Its organization is fantastic too and the length of each section feels really appropriate. Good work on this guide, huge props. I'll start recommending this guide to people who are new or recently acquainted with stepping.

stargroup100 04-14-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3891651)
For comparison, check out SG's old charting rules on KBO:

Went a long way since.

i dont remember typing this

moches 01-19-2014 02:31 AM

Writing my next SMASH column and just bookmarked this for future reference. Fucking amazing guide.

I really think it would be a good idea to start archiving the history and academic discussion revolving around Stepmania. The Wiki would be a great place for that purpose.

bmah 01-19-2014 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargroup100 (Post 3891884)
i dont remember typing this

You sent me the document haha.