Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Simulator Files (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Inconsistent BPM...HALP (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=143626)

Dvaerak7Korgo 01-12-2016 10:57 AM

Inconsistent BPM...HALP

When it comes to songs that weren't recorded with a click track, do you prefer making slight changes in bpm? Or would you rather have the entire chart conform to an average bpm?

What if the song's bpm fluctuates a lot? (e.g. The Games We Played)

rushyrulz 01-12-2016 11:16 AM

Re: Inconsistent BPM...HALP

lol don't use fixed BPM on songs that have BPM changes, it's not a good time.

MinaciousGrace 01-12-2016 11:44 AM

for me i like to start with bpm 1 and every beat increase the bpm by 1 until the end of the song but that is just my personally preference

Dvaerak7Korgo 01-12-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4395347)
lol don't use fixed BPM on songs that have BPM changes, it's not a good time.

It does seem easier to make a chart with bpm changes, but what about playing someone else's chart?

Also, do you know any simfiles/packs out there of jazz songs? Not like KgZ or OSTER Project type stuff. More like John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Buddy Rich, Art Blakey, Michael Brecker.

choof 01-12-2016 01:09 PM

i just chart stuff that's a constant bpm but still has stuff that's unquantized

Wayward Vagabond 01-12-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dvaerak7Korgo (Post 4395356)
It does seem easier to make a chart with bpm changes, but what about playing someone else's chart?

Also, do you know any simfiles/packs out there of jazz songs? Not like KgZ or OSTER Project type stuff. More like John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Buddy Rich, Art Blakey, Michael Brecker.

I stepped more contemporary jazz. Also most people play with cmods so bpm changes aren't noticed. Just sync the song like a man you pussy.

ilikexd 01-12-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dvaerak7Korgo (Post 4395341)
When it comes to songs that weren't recorded with a click track, do you prefer making slight changes in bpm? Or would you rather have the entire chart conform to an average bpm?

put every beat manually to waveform peaks

Dvaerak7Korgo 01-12-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4395410)
I stepped more contemporary jazz. Also most people play with cmods so bpm changes aren't noticed. Just sync the song like a man you pussy.

FINE, DAD. >:'(

I really like your charts. Good point about cmods. I almost forgot about those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4395423)
put every beat manually to waveform peaks

Done. This ain't so bad.

Thanks for the feedback y'all.

gold stinger 01-12-2016 04:30 PM

I use a mixture of bpm changes & playing with cmods, sometimes finding songs that have inconsistent bpms can be a lot of fun

Jagakon 01-12-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dvaerak7Korgo (Post 4395356)

I'm in the middle of stepping solos from Herbie Hancock, Art Tatum, Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Ahmad Jamal, and some other jazz works that I come across. These take a long af time to step so I might just finish and release them as a pack one of these days. What kinda stuff are you working on?

Wayward Vagabond 01-12-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dvaerak7Korgo (Post 4395437)
FINE, DAD. >:'(

I really like your charts. Good point about cmods. I almost forgot about those.

Done. This ain't so bad.

Thanks for the feedback y'all.

Also definitely don't do what ilikexd said

Dvaerak7Korgo 01-12-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagakon (Post 4395449)
I'm in the middle of stepping solos from Herbie Hancock, Art Tatum, Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Ahmad Jamal, and some other jazz works that I come across. These take a long af time to step so I might just finish and release them as a pack one of these days. What kinda stuff are you working on?

OH SHIT. I'm following you now fam.
I just started Coltrane's Giant Steps to get a feel for this jazz thing. Hopefully, I can move onto Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, Wayne Shorter, Mingus, Max Roach. Also...(psst don't tell anyone)...Kamasi's Le Ebin...sssshhhhhhhhh <.< >.>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond (Post 4395452)

Also definitely don't do what ilikexd said

I just slowed down the waveform a little and then hit B in ddream every 4 beats, then used Grow to fill the beats in between. It was easier than I thought, and way better than what I was trying to do earlier, which was to start with an average bpm for the whole song, then adjust from there.

I have to admit, though, this is taking a lot of time. I'm constantly thinking: why am I doing this when I should be practicing my saxophone? .-.

dAnceguy117 01-12-2016 08:55 PM

I made (or tried to make) simfiles for several years and really never learned how to sync anything that wasn't static :|

better tools and resources and more info available now though, gl gl