Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   AirR3 running choppy (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=148718)

KLiTz 01-10-2018 02:49 PM

AirR3 running choppy

Im not really sure how to approach this but the game is running very choppy even at 60fps setting.

I was previously running the Flash9 standalone at 60FPS setting with no issues. I dont have some kind of Godly PC but Im sure its much more than capable of running this without a hitch.

Anyone with insight? thank you in advance

rushyrulz 01-10-2018 07:11 PM

Re: AirR3 running choppy

Not choppy for me, but feels unplayable inferior to flash for some reason. My scores suffer hard when I play on it, even with adjusted offsets.

Cold Kitten 01-11-2018 01:35 AM

i heard somewhere that there were issues running air above 30 fps. try setting it back to that and see if you're still having issues with it. i run it at 30 fps with no choppiness at all, while flash player is a bit choppy even at 60 fps

EDIT:

I was mistaken. it was above 60fps that it was an issue.

Moria 01-11-2018 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4604827)
Not choppy for me, but feels unplayable inferior to flash for some reason. My scores suffer hard when I play on it, even with adjusted offsets.

Home is where the heart is. For me, it took a fair while to transition from legacy so I dont expect myself to settle for a poorer performance anytime soon

Flashflashrevolution is always gonna be the flash revolution by my values :mrgreen:

SK8R43 01-11-2018 05:46 AM

Yes, i have the same issue. Standalone doesnt work on this computer because of lag and i cant combo anything. With AIR i can combo stuff but i cant PA because of choppyness. I cant really say its lag, but it doesnt run smooth for me. I may be buying an actual gaming computer within the next month so ill see if that helps. Just makes no sense since it isnt flash based. It does get some good runs since i have aaad two songs since its been here but they were only in the 30s lol. most of the time its unplayable though :(

Edit: LOL nevermind. I think i fixed the problem by switching from 30fps to 60. i just have to get used to the engine now since its WAY different than legacy hah.

Precarious 01-11-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rushyrulz (Post 4604827)

This is absolutely true. I find that I have to hit notes early--in most songs--but this isn't always the case. Experimenting with songs in a variety of difficulties, I find that even where other indicators of play (misses, boos) improve, I add so many extra goods (and although it doesn't affect score, my amazing : perfect ratio suffers) that I end up not improving. On the rare occasions where the offset somehow syncs with my play correctly, my accuracy ends up improving considerably.

As it currently stands, I feel like something should be done regarding offset (I never had this issue with the Flash version). The ability to gather notes to determine offset in song would be a nice feature, but just some sort of correction would be great.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not experiencing any choppiness with Air, and in that regard it's better than my Flash standalone. But the offset issues are enormously frustrating.

Deidara837 01-11-2018 06:26 PM

I've largely figured out my new offsets (from -1/0 to 1.4/-0.1), and everything does indeed run smoother than FP9 for me. The thing I agree on is that the timings do feel "off" to some degree, whether or not that feels like it's just hitting late is a matter of perspective personally, as I've muted the songs and confirmed that the arrows are indeed hitting the receptors normally, but the audio really isn't off either after I fixed it.

What it actually feels like to me is that the timing windows themselves feel more strict, I suppose with the ms/frame decreasing from 30fps to 60fps (but I thought that that didn't have an effect? still unsure about all of this new stuff)

j-rodd123 01-12-2018 07:59 AM

i tried to download air to get back into the game but it was unplayable levels of choppiness/lag which i don't get on flash. i assumed it just means my comp is shit

ShadowDueler97 01-12-2018 08:45 AM

Oh I thought I was crazy lmao I could've sworn I was getting a ton of late good on air and that it wasn't just me.

Is it true about air having issues when set to above 60 fps? I play on 125 fps.

Pizza69 01-12-2018 09:57 AM

I can vouch for it having issues above 60, I played on 144 but the timing improved massively when I switched back to 60

Offset is still a little funky though, depending on when the song was released my global offset is typically 1.5, 0.5, or -0.5, but I no longer have issues with random late goods for no reason

Velocity 01-12-2018 11:12 AM

There's issues with timing above 60 due to how both Flash and Air handle keyboard input, due to neither really being designed with >60fps in mind.

Keyboard events can only happen between frames for some reason, and during a normal frame, the game takes between 3-5ms to process. As the FPS goes up, the amount of idle time between frames goes down.

30fps = 33.33ms per frame, or roughly 25ms for input.
60fps = 16.67ms per frame, or roughly 10ms for input.
120fps = 11.11ms per frame or roughly 5ms for input.

Flash/Air will do it's best to not skip inputs, but it might not register the input for the game till a delay after when the user pressed the key.

Air will also try to use the FPS you set in the Settings menu without being capped to 60fps as well, which is what Flash was capped at. It also does some weird stuff if you set the fps above the refresh rate of your monitor.

SK8R43 01-12-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizza69 (Post 4604955)
I can vouch for it having issues above 60, I played on 144 but the timing improved massively when I switched back to 60

Offset is still a little funky though, depending on when the song was released my global offset is typically 1.5, 0.5, or -0.5, but I no longer have issues with random late goods for no reason

I'm pretty sure 144 didnt work because its not in increments of 30. 120 would be better. but still shit because its above 60

KLiTz 01-12-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pizza69 (Post 4604955)

Yea, Im not too sure how to mess with offsets.

However, I set the game at 59FPS and it felt like a consirable increase in PA from running at 60. Time will tell I suppose

So for anyone out there with this issue, try 59 lol

Velocity 01-12-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLiTz (Post 4604981)
Yea, Im not too sure how to mess with offsets.

However, I set the game at 59FPS and it felt like a consirable increase in PA from running at 60. Time will tell I suppose

So for anyone out there with this issue, try 59 lol

I use 55fps, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meru! 01-12-2018 03:49 PM

I have a hard time playing on the R3air.
It looks much nicer (smooth scroll/sharp looking notes) but even with -offsets and using under 60 fps I still get moderate input delay as where in flash9-12 i can use a 0 offset and <60 fps without any delay whatsoever.

gold stinger 01-13-2018 08:38 AM

Funny how much the frame rate has an effect on accuracy.

For me:
30fps = +0.4 offset (+-0.5 in accuracy)
55fps = -0.1 offset (+-0.4 in accuracy)
60fps = -0.3 offset (+-0.45 in accuracy)
120fps = -0.7 offset (+-0.5 in accuracy)

These aren't just single runs through the same song either, these are actually somewhat consistent numbers for me.

SK8R43 01-13-2018 01:32 PM

I use 60 with no offset and it works fine for me haha

Shodzzy 01-18-2018 01:09 AM

Delete useless files. It reduces my lag and increased myfps by a ton Trust me, thsi works. If it doesn't, try contacting a mod or something

rushyrulz 01-18-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodzzy (Post 4605475)
Delete useless files. It reduces my lag and increased myfps by a ton Trust me, thsi works. If it doesn't, try contacting a mod or something

what

SK8R43 01-18-2018 03:21 PM

or just change to 55 or 60 FPS... it was so choppy for me i couldnt PA shit. Changed to 55 FPS and ive gotten a bunch of new aaas, and even more new fcs.