Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How do you deal with anxiety? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=149930)

Spenner 09-26-2018 05:56 AM

How do you deal with anxiety?

I'm making this thread in the hopes of adding on more things to my arsenal-- I tend to be very forgetful of my coping mechanisms. Lately I've been filling myself with breathing exercises and replaying nostalgic tunes in my head (Frogger: He's Back menu music playing atm, but sometimes I just focus on harmonizing simple sound waves amd letting it be felt all over my body, riding alongside the anxiety, as something that is less hurtful to focus on).

I don't know if anyone else gets it, but I particularly have it bad every morning. It takes a few hours for a) my meds to kick in and b) for me to have the right things in focus on my mind, or maybe if I get into a flow if I get simple jobs at work.

I know I do more than this but I've been dealing with pretty severe amnesia, which I guess would be caused from anxiety.

TheThong 09-26-2018 06:35 AM

Re: How do you deal with anxiety?

I'm really lucky I've got a better control of my anxiety/panic attacks I used to get. I was taught to focus on my breathing, try 'mindfulness' exercises I.e. thinking about air going into my lungs, and then exhaling (sounds lame, but it works sometimes). I also found going for a walk / outside, and especially listening to music helped. Pretty much what you do already! I know some people find scribbling/drawing helps too

SKG_Scintill 09-26-2018 06:52 AM

just wing it

kommisar 09-26-2018 07:48 AM

pills.

made a world of a difference, and it's only temporary.

Spenner 09-26-2018 09:09 AM

This morning I tried stretching to help circulation, and it seemed to lower my stress level a little bit. I might start doing that each morning. I also get nausea in the morning-- it manifests into anxiety too, so I took ginger and lemon tea. It seemed to help a bit.

I'm working with a doctor to see if there's meds that can help me better manage it, that aren't benzodiazepines or things that have long term ill effects.

I probably need to do cardio more, I just don't like pushing my heart rate to 140. Although at the time of posting this, my resting heartrate is 140... lol.

I'm on medication that helps me be functional because I have severe adhd, but it raises my heart rate a lot. I already do the mindfulness and breathing thing, but maybe acceptance conditioning is what I need to try next. It's a bit tricky.

My doctor and I were talking about how, for anxiety, it should be dealt with not by resistance, but with... a push+pull, like you would dance with someone. So I'm trying to figure out what that means for my situation and how to apply it. I have learned what this is from kungfu, so I have to dig deep. My brain tends to let go of what it has learned in the past, when anxious.

mellonxcollie 09-26-2018 10:25 AM

I think the thing that helps me most in the actual moment of feeling anxious is talking it out with people. Usually internet people, but there are a few trusted IRL people as well.

Usually my mind gets thrown into loops with the same recurring thought that keeps repeating, or I will bury myself deeper and deeper into more thoughts until I feel like I can't get out. Talking with someone else kinda just throws a wrench into that, I guess. My brain needs to process what the other person said and respond in a sensible manner, forcing myself to break free from the thought loop and get onto a different train of thought.

Having a chat with a friend also gives you a bit of space to breathe, sit in a relatively quiet area, and reflect on things seeing them written out. I know it might not be the best to rely on other people, but it just seems like the best solution for me personally, at least until I can grow my skills in meditation and mindfulness.

melonpapes 09-26-2018 12:07 PM

i smoke pot and shitpost

Spenner 09-26-2018 01:40 PM

@mellonxcollie, definitely helps to be reciprocating with the right person. I can reflect on my conversations I've had with people, and experiences I've shared with them, and it helps ground me into the reality I feel comfortable in again.

Posting from work-- it's been a world of difference since last break. When work is going well and I have momentum to push myself along with, it feels like anxiety doesn't have time to gestate as well.

I did a lot of physical labour and I felt like using my energy for something refreshed me a ton. So, I should try to do more of that. Creating opportunities for my internal energy to externalize.

@Papes, I really miss pot, I haven't smoked in almost 3 weeks now because I'm trying to see if I can function better/have a better attention span without it, so that work isn't as stressful. It was so nice though... I'm sticking with this plan for a little while longer just to see if I can prove to myself that it's better this way.

melonpapes 09-26-2018 01:41 PM

Hey spenner its been a hecka long time since i saw you or talked to you so like if u needa hang and talk we should do that js pal!

Staiain 09-26-2018 02:13 PM

Talking to people helps for me, as for other methods, I tend to feel better 9/10 times if I go for a walk in the woods or exercise.

A bit harder because anxiety is exactly that, at times it's actually irrational worry about something, but sourcing it and talk to someone about it and having them sincerely explain that things aren't as bad as you feel also helps, but you need someone you trust and are relatively close to who wouldn't give up on you even if you start arguing against logic (which happens during anxiety) because that could end up making you feel worse.

flashflash account 09-26-2018 04:29 PM

Let it consume you to the point where you don't even answer phone calls from your own mom, probably
Then it'll just fix itself

Hope this helps :)

G.S.M 09-26-2018 05:19 PM

don't really get anxiety

I just do things and things happen

O_O

MixMasterLar 09-26-2018 10:48 PM

Tai Chi.

And I know a lot of people here do breathing exercises found in Tai Chi and that's cool but add the forms on top of them too. Helps me so much.

One of the best beginner's books for Tai Chi can be gotten for like less then 5 dollars shipped . I've met the author in person and he knows his stuff. If you wanna be super cheap, I'm sure there are videos you can find online that demonstrates Tai Chi forms for free.

Spenner 09-27-2018 05:32 AM

I actually know some tai chi. I learned circle walking forms as well as deer horns, and "breathing law". I should be doing breathing law! I actually forgot about it until now...

Just as an update to my situation, I tried taking only my medication for concentration, without the antidepressant, and my anxiety is super low. I just feel normal today. I'll talk to my doctor about it soon, but yeah... I think the combination was giving me a taste of serotonin syndrome or something not so good.

Also for anyone struggling with anxiety, Structures From Silence (look for a 28min track) by Steve Roach is really relaxing.

awein999 09-27-2018 06:51 AM

can't stress enough how much regular exercise can help. it doesn't even have to be a lot just make it a consistent thing. even just walking is fine.

Celebelian 09-30-2018 09:52 AM

Someone else said it already but talking with people that you enjoy being around helps a bunch, especially if they also suffer from anxiety. Also exercise!