Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Batch Forum (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116884)

dore 02-3-2011 12:03 AM

Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3410975)
@simfile artists: apparently this hasn't been made clear enough

qtd for top of page since it was gonna get buried :D

re: ghosting stuff

It's just my opinion, but the limit for ghosting comes when you drastically alter a song's density. It's one thing to syncopate what you already have or bring out an implied feel, but it's another thing to completely add another layer of rhythm to the song to produce a different feel.

ichliebekase 02-3-2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Sweet, I did it right this time :] last time I noticed that it got switched when it was viewed in the folders so this time I put it in the front. Kewl 8-)

TC_Halogen 02-3-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

I didn't have to do this for The Crow's Newspaper, did I? I just assumed since you told me to give you the version with fixed silence that I would just give it to you.

bmah 02-3-2011 12:16 AM

oh no, if you were just making minor fixes to an accepted file, you don't need to do that

TC_Halogen 02-3-2011 12:19 AM

Oh alright. Needed the clarification there, thanks a bunch. :)

qqwref 02-3-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410973)
Well, I don't view files as "playing the song" but "interpreting the song." That's probably the most crucial contrast between how I view files vs. most people today; I view ghost notes as an interpretation of the song's energy. If you actually dance to a song, you tend to move your body to a generalized composite of every rhythm it has. When I use a ghost note I'm not thinking about how the song is being represented in the notes but how your hands are moving to the song, similar to how an Irish dancer would add rhythms to the melody.

If this is what you feel - and to be honest I've lately been starting to feel similarly - you should probably move in the direction of stepping "expressive dumps", since people generally expect totally serious files to be very technically accurate (and this includes most FFR files, except the easiest). The expressive dump category is pretty wide, from files that are mostly technical but have a few ghost note sections, to files that are completely composed of rhythms that aren't in the song but nonetheless try to highlight the energy and feel of the music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch0wl (Post 3410973)
Also, I like difficulty spikes a lot. They're used a lot in Korean music games and I like their effect. They make for great entertainment when someone is capable of doing them.

Difficulty spikes are normally fine, but they don't belong in a combo-based game like FFR, where a bad player who can mash-combo the hardest part will always outrank a skilled veteran who can't. Basically that's the problem I have with them. Unlike in the avmiss era, hitting a fast jack section is now just a matter of being able to vibrate at least as fast as the jacks, and there are plenty of people out there who lack in actual skill but are pretty decent at vibrating or mashing.

dore 02-3-2011 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3410996)
Difficulty spikes are normally fine, but they don't belong in a combo-based game like FFR, where a bad player who can mash-combo the hardest part will always outrank a skilled veteran who can't. Basically that's the problem I have with them. Unlike in the avmiss era, hitting a fast jack section is now just a matter of being able to vibrate at least as fast as the jacks, and there are plenty of people out there who lack in actual skill but are pretty decent at vibrating or mashing.

I disagree with that. I don't think you should alter your stepping philosophy due to combo scoring, because regardless of someone mashing a FC getting a better score than someone going for PA and missing once, you're still talking about one player doing less shittily than another, and a AAA will still beat those scores. It's not like anyone's going to mash at the top of the leaderboards, and honestly, it shouldn't affect stepping/judging just because it would affect the middle of the leaderboards.

bmah 02-3-2011 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kommisar (Post 3410185)
its a fix for it jx

bmah mentionned fixing it but that was about it. i didnt know

So what do you want to do about it? If you want to keep the current one as is, then you can send one more file in this batch as a result, considering that one of the files you've sent was the fix.

qqwref 02-3-2011 02:10 AM

dore: Ah, but unless the song's very easy or very hard, if there's a serious difficulty spike, most of the active players are gonna be hanging out right around that middle section. So it's reasonable to assume that files with an extremely hard-to-FC section will annoy a lot of people, even if that section is accurate. If you look at judging as trying to get in files that the active players will like the most (and complain about the least), then it makes a lot of sense to take off points for a huge difficulty spike. As far as stepping philosophy, I deliberately use a somewhat different one for FFR because the scoring system is (currently?) so different.

bmah 02-3-2011 02:12 AM

I view difficulty spikes as challenges and it's rewarding when you do manage to pull through successfully. I strongly discourage stepping with the consistency of a flat plain.

But I get your point.

Niala 02-3-2011 02:22 AM

I like that philosophy, qqwref, it makes a lot of sense given the game we play. Overzealous difficulty spikes can ruin a chart.

bmah get on aim. >(

Arch0wl 02-3-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3410996)
Difficulty spikes are normally fine, but they don't belong in a combo-based game like FFR, where a bad player who can mash-combo the hardest part will always outrank a skilled veteran who can't.

Fair point, and that's why I didn't submit Birthright to FFR. (Well, that and I knew I'd have to completely change it to make it suitable for the judges.)

One thing to consider, though: Korean music games use combo scoring ubiquitously and almost every game with combo scoring also has frequent difficulty spikes.

who_cares973 02-3-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iironiic (Post 3410835)
Sent Passage D. (Edit: High 11 or low 12)

From now on, I think I'm going to send one file at a time, unless I stockpile enough for the next upcoming batch after this one.

Pick ffr or DF for passage D

championanwar 02-3-2011 03:59 AM

Quote:

****, i stuck it in the e-mail :/

Niala 02-3-2011 04:36 AM

Files queue'd on 2/1/11 (23)
Xkur Top Secrut Preview!!!!!!! (MarioNintendo)
Snow (Silvuh)
The Crow's Newspaper (TC_Halogen)
to the Heaven -Driven Beat Remix- (kjwkjw)
Sigh (SKG_Scintill)
Thrash the Plank (T-Force & Niala)
{Lazy Summer Days} (Silvuh)
Chik Habit (AlexDest)
Above (Silvuh)
Ark (leonid)
A Quick Death (wc & CBR)
AcidAce-Alliance (leonid)
When the Petals Fall (Silvuh)
Spacedust (Silvuh)
Sexplosion (woker-x)
Through The Martian Hell (woker-x)
Everything Went Numb (who_cares973)
Electronic Music is a Joke (AlexDest)
Positively Inclined RMX (DossarLX ODI)
Gene Gadget Zone (bmah & TC_Cyrenics)
Four Blockes Madness (woker-x)
honki sentai majirenjaa (bmah)
Mysterious Desert (cry4eternity)

Can me and T-Force get our points please? OP was updated just forgot us it seems.

bmah 02-3-2011 04:45 AM

"collaboration files won't add points for you" - 1st post of thread

@anwar: actually, Experiment's not a resubmit, but a regular file iirc

Niala 02-3-2011 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3411058)
"collaboration files won't add points for you" - 1st post of thread

@anwar: actually, Experiment's not a resubmit, but a regular file iirc

I thought that was just for adding extra points, the initial 10 points I thought would still count. Sorry my misunderstanding.

EDIT: Go to bed >( you needa look purdy for tomorrow (later today.)

leonid 02-3-2011 05:53 AM

Three tarolabo files ready !_!

Niala 02-3-2011 02:42 PM

A couple of submissions for this batch:
Colibri - 10 or so, resubmission with a few fixes, biggest one being the sync.
Homosexual Love Scene - cute little 8 or 9 with some neat ACA (<3 wc)

kommisar 02-3-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3411027)
So what do you want to do about it? If you want to keep the current one as is, then you can send one more file in this batch as a result, considering that one of the files you've sent was the fix.

if you fixed it already it's all good. I'll make another file tonight :3

wait if i send a collab, does that count as my 5th? or can i send another