Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Is It Really True That Every Single Person's Fingerprint in the World is Different? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=153884)

drizzleRomanceGirl 03-18-2022 04:56 PM

Is It Really True That Every Single Person's Fingerprint in the World is Different?

...even with the billions of people in the world?

the sun fan 03-18-2022 05:14 PM

Re: Is It Really True That Every Single Person's Fingerprint in the World is Different?

The specific answer is something like "no two people have ever been found to have the same fingerprints"

so, I suppose that at least leaves the door open for the possibility that some people might be found to

that being said, no, not even identical twins have the same fingerprints despite having the same DNA

Matthia 03-18-2022 06:10 PM

Re: Is It Really True That Every Single Person's Fingerprint in the World is Different?

Whenever something is brought up that involves making comparisons or contrasts among a certain population, I tend to take quantum levels into consideration. That being said, at a microscopic level, everything is different (iow, each item of the same type, like apples for instance, has a slightly different end-result structure of how it grew and is thus unique). Same applies to fingerprints, although it's extremely obvious that "nothing that has happened before will happen again with 100% accuracy and recreation".

I feel these kinds of questions need a definite variable of measurement when trying to settle down to a decision and come up with an answer. Like in terms of size, lengths, scaling, warping and etc., how closely related do these fingerprints need to be in order to consider them as "matching"?

drizzleRomanceGirl 03-20-2022 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4776644)
The specific answer is something like "no two people have ever been found to have the same fingerprints"

so, I suppose that at least leaves the door open for the possibility that some people might be found to

that being said, no, not even identical twins have the same fingerprints despite having the same DNA

oh i see; thank you very much :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthia (Post 4776645)
Whenever something is brought up that involves making comparisons or contrasts among a certain population, I tend to take quantum levels into consideration. That being said, at a microscopic level, everything is different (iow, each item of the same type, like apples for instance, has a slightly different end-result structure of how it grew and is thus unique). Same applies to fingerprints, although it's extremely obvious that "nothing that has happened before will happen again with 100% accuracy and recreation".

I feel these kinds of questions need a definite variable of measurement when trying to settle down to a decision and come up with an answer. Like in terms of size, lengths, scaling, warping and etc., how closely related do these fingerprints need to be in order to consider them as "matching"?

i would say same design, but not necessarily the same size

_DJ Vinyl_ 03-20-2022 12:59 AM

Hold on while I survey everyone in the world, get back to you in a million years

drizzleRomanceGirl 03-21-2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _DJ Vinyl_ (Post 4776670)
Hold on while I survey everyone in the world, get back to you in a million years

i was talking theoretically about how it's possible

DaBackpack 03-22-2022 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthia (Post 4776645)

When it comes to fingerprints, forensic analysts have a list of common features and patterns that they use to describe fingerprints. You might see something like this in crime shows where a digital fingerprint image has little green circles around some of the curves and edges. This is because you can't rely on direct image matching between two fingerprints: the same person won't always press their fingers down in the same exact angle or orientation every single time. To match a fingerprint, you need to match as many of these key features as possible.

In image recognition tasks there is a task called "alignment", wherein the program has to determine if two different images are showing the same object or scene from different POVs or if they are from two different objects/scenes. It's pretty difficult but there are ways to make the problem simpler by creating simpler representations of the images in question--- i.e. not using full RGBA image rasters. For us, when it comes to fingerprints, these "simpler representations" manifest as a set of "arches", "whorls", and "loops." After first observing prominent examples of these features in each fingerprint, you can try to construct a feature mapping from print A onto print B. (As an analogy, think about rotating one Rubix cube until it looks like another Rubix cube.) If such a mapping exists with a certain confidence threshold, you might decide that both prints came from the same finger. Otherwise, they could be from different people, or you might need better prints.

Fingerprinting unfortunately has not been as historically reliable as you might think, because the theoretically foundations were not well understood, and humans are prone to error when manually annotating prints with feature labels. The practice seems to have become way more reliable over the past decade or so with the mass adoption of convolutional neural networks and other data-driven computational approaches, and now fingerprinting is a pretty common way to verify identity on mobile devices. (I still don't trust the technology enough to bet my bank account on it though, lol)

To answer the OP: the answer is basically yes. But remember that analysts don't use prints from a single finger: we have 10 fingers with unique data on them. Even if two people's index fingers might look very similar, you will see clear differences when looking at the 9 other fingers.

rushyrulz 03-25-2022 09:08 PM

8 billion is a statistically insignificant number when it comes to something of this scale.

Watch from this timestamp til the end to basically /thread this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObiqJzfyACM&t=860s

klimtkiller 03-25-2022 11:58 PM

I think identical twins would have the same fingerprints...

...nvm I looked it up, they don't lmao..