Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pulsen (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=121425)

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 02:53 PM

Re: Pulsen

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoMasterPie (Post 3584080)
i play c975 distant on stepmania so it's really hard for me to say what speedmod(s) i would want in pulsen. that's kinda way out there lol

With my latest modifications from this morning, it's possible to put in many more.

Hmm... I should add an UltraFast category for stuff like C975 since I know there's probably others like you who would want these kinds of changes. Are there any others you'd like to see or know others would want in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenovaSephiroth (Post 3584077)
on the other hand, wait I make pad files where do I sign

That'd be with me. Send me a PM, and we can discuss it more that way if you're interested in joining the project.

Coolboyrulez0 12-5-2011 03:15 PM

Re: Pulsen, A new Stepmania Rip Off Game

emailed you guys about something.

MrsMagic5239 12-5-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584096)
With my latest modifications from this morning, it's possible to put in many more.

Hmm... I should add an UltraFast category for stuff like C975 since I know there's probably others like you who would want these kinds of changes. Are there any others you'd like to see or know others would want in?

That'd be with me. Send me a PM, and we can discuss it more that way if you're interested in joining the project.

Given that this is for pad, I as a pad player myself prefer to have a very wide range of speed mods. Since songs have various BPM's, you're going to want a big list of speed mods. As in ITG, they had many speed mods in custom themes. My favorite theme, AKA "H4X Theme" had modifiers going from 1.0x - 9.0x I believe, each going up in a .5 scale. For example, 1.0x, 1.5x, 2.0x, 2.5x etc. etc. So if I were you guys, I would implement something like that, where the speed mods increase by .5

As far as Cmods, as I recall, most pad players don't use this, since it takes away the difficulty on files with gimmicks in it. But just like in the H4X theme, they had a lot of Cmods, at least I think, where it ranged from C450 - C1000, each increasing by 50. Example: C450, c500, c550, c600, etc. Or it may have gone up by 25, I'm not entirely sure though. But as someone who's been playing pad for many many years, I would suggest having A LOT of speed mods.

midimanXG 12-5-2011 03:37 PM

I worked on pulsen

dont buy pulsen for saturn, buy it for the people who put things in pulsen.

put your money on the people who worked on pulsen instead

thanks.

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'll add one with the 0.5 increments. I don't know if you've had a chance to test out the r0003 build of Pulsen, but it goes up in 0.25 increments, we just ran out of room for too many more.

Done. I attached what you were looking for below. Looks like there's room for more numbers. Any other suggestions for it? I could even add 1.337 just for kicks, haha.

We use something called M-mods instead of C-mods. It's a combination of an X-mod and a C-mod except there's a speed cap. That cap, as of right now, is defined by the speed mod set you from the Personal Settings area.

rushyrulz 12-5-2011 03:39 PM

sounds like A-mods on thirdstyle..

TC_Halogen 12-5-2011 03:47 PM

Yeah, except that feature was done way before ThirdStyle came out. M-mods have been out since OpenITG, and that was more than two years ago.

MrsMagic5239 12-5-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584123)
Ok, I'll add one with the 0.5 increments. I don't know if you've had a chance to test out the r0003 build of Pulsen, but it goes up in 0.25 increments, we just ran out of room for too many more.

Done. I attached what you were looking for below. Looks like there's room for more numbers. Any other suggestions for it? I could even add 1.337 just for kicks, haha.

In Pulsen, we use something called M-mods instead of C-mods. It's a combination of an X-mod and a C-mod except there's a speed cap. That cap, as of right now, is defined by the speed mod set you from the Personal Settings area.

Nicely done, and yes I have the game downloaded. 100%/FC'd all the songs on pad with my cobalt flux. I did notice the .25 increase, but I felt it was unnecessary since none of the songs have extremely high or low BPM's. So the current mods are okay, for now.

P.S> Nyan Cat is fun to play on "Pop Tart Cat".

Wolfman2000 12-5-2011 03:57 PM

Re: Pulsen, A new Stepmania Game

M-Mods are similar to C-Mods, except for two things. One, there is a speed cap built-in to prevent any BPM spikes from forcing a slow mod overall. Second, you will have to go through the timing changes anyway. No skipping out on stops, delays, etc. You will learn the chart, and perhaps be a better player for it. ;)

MrsMagic5239: any charts that you liked or didn't like? Feedback will be helpful for future packs.

MrsMagic5239 12-5-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfman2000 (Post 3584132)
M-Mods are similar to C-Mods, except for two things. One, there is a speed cap built-in to prevent any BPM spikes from forcing a slow mod overall. Second, you will have to go through the timing changes anyway. No skipping out on stops, delays, etc. You will learn the chart, and perhaps be a better player for it. ;)

MrsMagic5239: any charts that you liked or didn't like? Feedback will be helpful for future packs.

I liked all the files on "Expert/Edit" except for the song, "Take This". Around the 1:50 mark, those doubles/jumps just seem out of place/don't make much sense. That's about the only bad thing as far as files go, IMO.

JenovaSephiroth 12-5-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584096)
Send me a PM

Sent

Saturn2888 12-5-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsMagic5239 (Post 3584136)
I liked all the files on "Expert/Edit" except for the song, "Take This". Around the 1:50 mark, those doubles/jumps just seem out of place/don't make much sense. That's about the only bad thing as far as files go, IMO.

I've forwarded that info to the chart designer.

I just played through it and agree, those two jumps might be problematic. Next playtest I'll check it out and if need be, we'll modify it. Good catch on that thanks!

MrsMagic5239 12-5-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584144)
I've forwarded that info to the chart designer.

I just played through it and agree, that might be problematic. Next playtest I'll check it out and if need be, we'll modify it. Good catch on that thanks!

No problem. :)

Choofers 12-5-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3584055)
Well if you're talking about new things in charts, then Pulsen definitely brings a lot to the table:
- Lifts
- Fakes
- Warps
- Attacks
- Scroll Segments
- Speed Segments

SM5 detected
I would start making charts with Lifts and Fake notes though.

Electrokinesis 01-12-2012 10:25 AM

(Warning: LONG post incoming.)

So, I started out with Pulsen in the same mindset as most other people here. Looks like a fancy Stepmania with around a million less stepcharts to choose from, an annoying noteskin and it actually costs money. The trailer really doesn't do this game justice at all.

I picked it up mostly out of curiosity after reading this topic and after a few hours of playing, I'm glad I did. This isn't really just another Stepmania or even another DDR game. Sure, at it's core you're just pressing buttons to the rhythm of a song but it feels more fun and casual while still maintaining some challenge. The special effects added to the already high quality stepcharts really just makes it feel more fun. The song that really made me notice just how much potential this game had was Stormy Weather by Sonitus Vir (stepped by Nick Navaroli). Half way through as the notes are constantly switching on you as they go up I wasn't in my normal state of mind while playing a music game. I was smiling, not seriously concentrating on the screen like always. It was just fun. The gimmicks don't get old either. Each song has it's own that seem to perfectly go with the song. Maybe I haven't messed around with SM5 enough to have seen all the attacks and other stuff executed in such a high quality way, but with Pulsen I don't have to look around for that. They did it right.

Now, I'm definitely not saying that the game is without faults. My biggest concern is that the settings for the songs don't EVER get saved. Whether you close the game or just go back to the menu to unlock another song, you're going to have to reset your speed mod, noteskin, etc. I'm especially baffled by this as this was already a feature in SM (which is presumably the engine used to build this game) and yet it's just gone here. There's no profiles either. No way to view your score from the song selection screen. Then again without profiles, I don't see how you'd save this stuff anyway. If there's ANYTHING I wished you'd fix in this game, it's this.

As far as the noteskin... yeah, it was horrible at first but it honestly grows on you as you play. Then again, in the end I could be watching hamburgers scroll up the screen and have no problem after a few songs so maybe that's just me. I'm just glad I found out that Static is the style of notes I want because it's what I'm used to from SM and FFR.

Here's a random suggestion for a future DLC. There's this Brony phenomenon that is growing larger each day with a pretty fanatical fanbase that goes crazy for any My Little Pony things that come out. Indies have gotten several more purchases from bronies just by having a reference or two in their game and having it show up on Equestria Daily. Where I'm going with this is, the community ALSO has very talented artists. There are at least a few thousand original fanmade songs for the series which are great even without being a fan of the show. So, I propose you make a Pony Pack for DLC, throw in a quick trailer like the last one where you just play a song that includes the more fun features on an easy difficulty and the hardest then sumbit it to Equestria Daily. You'll get free publicity (several hundred thousand people visit that site almost religiously, they just celebrated 100,000,000 page views yesterday and there's already another 600,000) and guaranteed purchases. This year would be the best time to realease too. We're getting stronger than ever now. If nothing else, at least have your guys listen to some of the music available and if you don't want to make a whole pack, then just some songs in a future one would work fairly well too.
Here's a list of some quailty artists:
Omnipony
DJ Alex S
WoodenToaster
Wolf of Sadness
RainbowCrash88
d.notive
Eurobest Brony
...and more.

So, as much of a joke as this suggestion seems, I'm sure that there are tons of bronies out there that would love to buy it. I sure would. Hell, I'd buy it for other people too.

On a final note, I'd like to address a security issue. It seems that all you need is the link (or the .exe) to install new DLC. It's a small file too. It's SO easy to share something like that after just one person buys it. You guys seem to need SOME form of verification. An account or something would be easiest. That way they at least have to verify that their account purchased the DLC. It wouldn't stop the real hackers, of course, but you should at least try to make them work for it. I'd love to completely trust the internet, but you just can't these days.

So, good luck with the project guys. You have my support. I recommend this game to any music game lover or any casual gamer. Keep up the good work.

Saturn2888 01-12-2012 01:18 PM

Hello Electrokinesis! I'm glad you enjoyed Pulsen; it makes me wish we were further along in development so we could release more.

:: OTHER PACKS ::

That Brony pack sounds like a great idea; in fact, I did contact Equestria Daily months ago for some information because we have a few MLP songs planned for a future pack. My original idea was to include them in Pulsen: Ultra II, but I never thought of doing an entire pack of these songs. I think this is a great idea to pursue! I’ve actually started working out the specifics already to see if it’s possible for us.

:: SETTINGS & SCORES ::

I never did go back to finding a solution for saving your last-used settings so thanks for bringing it up. I’ll see if we can’t work something out in a few days. It’ll be in r0004 of Pulsen.

You are correct, scores currently don’t exist, there’s only a hit or miss points system in place. I’ve setup a scoring system in the dev builds of r0004, but we haven’t fully tested it out yet. I’ll see if I can’t finalize it tonight. The big bulk of the code overhaul to add it in was already done months ago so it shouldn’t pose too much of an issue by this point.

Question, are you having issues saving your settings or just modifiers?

:: NOTESKINS ::

I have to be honest when I say the noteskin grew on me too. Sometimes I’ll get complaints about it, but after a few minutes using it, those go away. I’m assuming those comments are because it’s an unfamiliar shape. In other news, we do have a more traditional arrow shape in the works for a future update.

Electrokinesis, I highly encourage you to try out the other 4 noteskin shapes as well: Blockpad, Blockie, Coin, and Lantern especially with some mods turned on. I’ve even made changes since r0003 so when r0004 comes out, they will have even more customizations.

:: SECURITY & VERIFICATION ::

Pulsen was designed to be DRM-free since it’s going to be pirated regardless of what we do. I’d rather not cause trouble for legitimate owners.

On the other hand, since we’re working on the online play system, a verification system is already in the works. This is why we haven’t released anything in the last few months. It’ll be simple, and you can still play the game offline as you normally would without it.

The important part is that updating the game will be much easier after this system is in place so expect content and features to be more-readily available.

:: STORMY WEATHER ::

I’m really glad you liked Stormy Weather. To give you a little perspective, this song was made back in May 2011 during the first week these new features were implemented. I can honestly say later packs show a lot more of what’s possible. Even Pulsen: Souleye’s got a few tricks up its sleeve.

-- Kevin

Electrokinesis 01-12-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturn2888 (Post 3613659)
Question, are you having issues saving your settings or just modifiers?

Just the modifiers. Thanks for looking into this. Looking forward to the update.

Thanks for the quick response too. I love seeing developers be so entwined with the community. Plus an even bigger thanks for taking the Brony pack seriously! You guys have my undying support for the game. It has great promise and is already looking great.

To everyone else, seriously guys... try it out. You'll be surprised. Even if you only play it for an hour, you'll have paid less than it costs to go to the movies and you'd be helping out a great group of developers. ;P

krunkykai22 01-12-2012 01:53 PM

I'm not about to go around and read the whole thread, but I'm sure this was pointed out, I'm just reasking if it was asked already.

Why in gods name do you have to pay for this shit? >.< That's .... like ... ridiculous ...

i love you 01-12-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunkykai22 (Post 3613686)
Why in gods name do you have to pay for this shit? >.< That's .... like ... ridiculous ...

To gain easy money from those who were dumb enough to buy it in the first place. I personally still see this as another SM5 with a highly customized theme added to it with a few more features on top of that.

@Salespeople/People who support etc: Feel free to bash me about it. I do not really care lmao

ninjaKIWI 01-12-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krunkykai22 (Post 3613686)

Paying for a video game? Jesus christ that's SO OUT OF LINE.