Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Other Music Games (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   why do people hate on osu!mania?? (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=148455)

mrdawn2 11-16-2017 03:15 PM

why do people hate on osu!mania??

everywhere i look on forums people just hate on osu all the time?
why hate? it has lots of good things like a automatic rating system (star rate) which current sm 5 does not have nor ffr
it also has a nice leaderboard system which are counted off pp which is very well maintained and is still is gonna have a massive overhaul to make it even better.
together with having lots of different types of maps (from one to ten keys!) i dont see any reason to dislike it.

Fantasticone 11-16-2017 03:24 PM

Re: why do people hate on osu!mania??

- Flawed rating system
- Laggy for some people
- Ranked charts not hard enough I heard
- Column colors is very hard to get used to
- Personally upscroll is not supported well enough for most skins

Just some reasons here.

blindreper1179 11-16-2017 03:53 PM

It's garbage

PixlSM 11-16-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdawn2 (Post 4597911)
why hate? it has lots of good things like a automatic rating system (star rate) which current sm 5 does not have nor ffr
it also has a nice leaderboard system which are counted off pp which is very well maintained and is still is gonna have a massive overhaul to make it even better.
together with having lots of different types of maps (from one to ten keys!) i dont see any reason to dislike it.

star rating is trash because its based purely on max nps regardless of patterns (which in turn forces a meta in which mappers create heavily manipulatable maps so that they get popular and pushed for rank. on a side note the ranking system is flawed and run by idiots who cant tell the difference between streams and handstreams)

the leaderboard is inclusive of all keymodes, which means that 7k players dominate it. its also based on pp, which is based on SR, which is complete shit

also sure sm5 doesnt have it, but sm5 is trash. thats why we use etterna which has a rating system infinitely better than sr

all the maps on osu are complete garbage save from converts from other games.

skinning in om is super minimal and almost nothing can really be accomplished with it outside of putting fucking anime girls everywhere.

it has a cancerous reddit-tier community that doesnt know the first thing about VSRG games and hivemind worships any half decent player they see.

also the devs dont have a fucking clue about rhythm games in general and the whole game is a joke.

oh yeah and their acc system is complete trash too. theres almost no punishment for missing notes

Walrusizer 11-16-2017 05:31 PM

sure love me some "how fast can you smash ur keys!!!" leaderboards mmmmmmmm

Mahou 11-16-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasticone (Post 4597915)

There are some hard ranked charts. It's just the hard ones are usually the gay ones.

Rapta 11-16-2017 07:26 PM

Etterna > FFR > Osumania imo

icontrolyourworld 11-16-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PixlSM (Post 4597949)
star rating is trash because its based purely on max nps regardless of patterns (which in turn forces a meta in which mappers create heavily manipulatable maps so that they get popular and pushed for rank. on a side note the ranking system is flawed and run by idiots who cant tell the difference between streams and handstreams)

Stepmania didn't have a rating system outside of "user says it's this hard" that is by far the most inconsistent rating system possible. Etterna fixes this, but this is not an arguement for osumania being trash considering where stepmania has come from. This has nothing to do with the actual gameplay.

Quote:

the leaderboard is inclusive of all keymodes, which means that 7k players dominate it. its also based on pp, which is based on SR, which is complete shit

Leaderboards should not mean this much to you or anyone. It's cool to know that a player can top the ratings of any given video game, but to call osumania trash because the leaderboards require you to be better than someone else, well that's kind of silly. If osumania didn't have a leaderboard whatsoever, similar to how stepmania has been all these years would that make it equal to stepmania or better, or is the inclusion of a feature that stepmania has not had up to this point make osumania the worse game? What does that say about stepmania now having leaderboards in the form of etternaonline? Etterna does it better, but it's not something that inherently makes etterna better.

Quote:

also sure sm5 doesnt have it, but sm5 is trash. thats why we use etterna which has a rating system infinitely better than sr

You're really stuck to this rating thing. SM5 doesn't have it, sm3.95 doesn't have it, SM before etterna doesn't have it, we still played stepmania instead of osumania, even when osumania had a leaderboard. Why do you think that is? My personal opinion is the rating, and leaderboards do not mean anything for the actual gameplay.

Quote:

You are entitled to your opinion, I personally like maps/charts from both games.

Quote:

skinning in om is super minimal and almost nothing can really be accomplished with it outside of putting fucking anime girls everywhere.

I will also give you this one, stepmania has far superior options when it comes to skinning/themeing. But take into consideration that may not be the important thing behind stepmania when you suggest etterna is the best version of stepmania. We are currently funneled into 1 theme supported by etterna; Til'Death. I will say this when it comes to any game, gameplay before graphics.

Quote:

it has a cancerous reddit-tier community that doesnt know the first thing about VSRG games and hivemind worships any half decent player they see.

Every community will have its sourpatches, stepmania community included. Both games are community driven for the most part, and you can try to tie that into how both games are in their current states, especially including content provided by the community. As for the games at their core, the community did not actually create the actual game, just most of the content, so this statement i will still chalk up as it does not speak for the game.

Quote:

also the devs dont have a fucking clue about rhythm games in general and the whole game is a joke.

I'm not one to say what is and isn't a rhythm game or anything, so here's what google/wiki says: Rhythm game or rhythm action is a genre of music-themed action video game that challenges a player's sense of rhythm.

I think that's a fair summary of what a rhythm game is. As to what makes it a joke I'm not 100% certain what you mean. It must be a very good joke considering its popularity.

Quote:

oh yeah and their acc system is complete trash too. theres almost no punishment for missing notes

This is kind of a silly statement considering both stepmania and osumania are about self improvement and self enjoyment. You set your own goals, challenge yourself, push your own limits. You can most definitely trash on either games scoring mechanics, but at the end of the day, it's an excuse not to get better.

~I enjoy OsuMania, Stepmania, and FFR, stepmania the most of the 3. I enjoy all 3 communities, I started playing osumania recently and the community has been warm and welcoming and downright absolutely has the best MP experience of the 3. You can play against very good players in all 3 games, make friends, experience new things, and not only that it's constant. I'm not here to defend stepmania, osumania, or FFR, but there is no way these statements have been indicative of the true experience of any of the 3 games. It's a lot of trash talk and I would really appreciate if everyone could put their differences aside and enjoy the game.

icontrolyourworld 11-16-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

I want to address OP as well.
People hate on osu for the same reasons people hate on stepmania. It's mostly because we (communities) can not set aside our differences and just have a good time. There have been hot arguments between the the 2 communities over trivial things that most often boils down to petty differences. Everyone is guilty, and we (communities) should take a mature step back and really take a hard look at each other. Neither game is bad, neither community wants to be the bad guys, but we all wind up rubbing off that way. You say you see hate on the forums all the time, it's most likely the vocal minority speaking here. Please if you want to enjoy stepmania you are absolutely welcome to come and play, the same should go for anyone wanting to play osumania; and if not then let it be water under the bridge.

I still stand by the leaderboards and star rating system are not especially important for osumania, the same for leaderboards and etterna rating system in etterna/stepmania. This is not to undermine anyone elses work on trying to build a good rating system, it's an incredibly useful tool to have to know approximately how hard something will be before you play it. But at the end of the day, the true value of either game is your own personally defined experience, how much fun you have, and what you want from the game.

Osumania has great support for 4k and 7k, along with other game modes, osu is not 100% core focused around 4k play, while stepmania pretty much is (and pretty good 6k play). This is where a lot of differences and arguments stem from, the simple matter of the fact is osu is not stepmania and never will be, and the same goes for stepmania never being osu. Osu is a whole package, taiko, osu standard, mania, ctb, there's so much variety, it's so open for many players, there's so much content, but on that same note stepmania has many more years of content specifically catered towards mostly 4k. Stepmania likely has the better 4k experience, but osumania i don't think is very far behind, we stand on the shoulders of giants, and progress has always been a way forward, both games are constantly generating user content. I think such dedication is beautiful, i welcome it with open heart and mind, and i enjoy both games.

Walrusizer 11-16-2017 09:09 PM

osssssss doesnt even have rates

ur done son

icontrolyourworld 11-16-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindreper1179 (Post 4597939)
It's garbage

This is the kind of garbage comments everyone should ignore.

leonid 11-16-2017 10:17 PM

osu is objectively better than ffr and if you think otherwise you are delusional

leonid 11-16-2017 10:18 PM

one could prefer etterna if you don't care much about online ranking

Sidek 11-16-2017 10:24 PM

star rating = trash
lag = always
community = trash ( only the ones who decide what beatmaps can be get ranked )

well but exist a way to make rate beatmaps but not many people know how to do it

i play sometimes both games but only for fun.

forgot to say
both games do the same function .

icontrolyourworld 11-16-2017 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sidek (Post 4598016)
star rating = trash
lag = always
community = trash ( only the ones who decide what beatmaps can be get ranked )

well but exist a way to make rate beatmaps but not many people know how to do it

i play sometimes both games but only for fun.

star rating shouldn't have bearing on on your enjoyment of the game, stepmania has not had a good rating system until recently. osumania was ahead of the game, they beat us to the punch.

lag is a legitimate reason to not like the game, i personally rarely experience lag but that's case by case.

It's not cool to just slanderously rag on a community like this, it's this level of immaturity that perpetually gives both communities the idea that each other suck. Despite the bad cookies in both stepmania and osumania, you should put yourself above such idiotic bickering, it serves no good purpose.

Sidek 11-16-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld (Post 4598018)
star rating shouldn't have bearing on on your enjoyment of the game, stepmania has not had a good rating system until recently. osumania was ahead of the game, they beat us to the punch.

lag is a legitimate reason to not like the game, i personally rarely experience lag but that's case by case.

It's not cool to just slanderously rag on a community like this, it's this level of immaturity that perpetually gives both communities the idea that each other suck. Despite the bad cookies in both stepmania and osumania, you should put yourself above such idiotic bickering, it serves no good purpose.

yeah you are right.

DDR_Anna 11-17-2017 12:09 AM

My only real "issue" with o!m is long notes

1. Having to let go at the end of the notes always (mentally) gets me
2. If I have to hold a note (in columns 2 and 3) while doing complex patterns, I will most likely fail everything at that part

however, do note I started mania after months of long note-less ffr so

rushyrulz 11-17-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

This post is absolutely beautiful.

Idk I played osumania for like 2 weeks. Column colors were awful and nigh impossible for me to get used to. I was stuck in downscroll and didn't care enough to download the whatever it is I need to make upscroll happen (which should be a feature, not an add-on). The letting go of freezes on time was just ugh, so I quit because it was too far off from what I was used to. Also, I'd watch hentai if I wanted to hear that much anime whining.

MinaciousGrace 11-17-2017 06:39 AM

you guys all missed the mark pretty hard

Quote:

every one of these points is demonstrably false and you cite them as reasons not to hate on osu

this means you are either stupid, willfully ignorant, just plain ignorant, or some combination of these things and despite this you jet off to other communities and game forums to advertise your game as being better than others

even more unfortunately you are representative of the osu player base

that is why everyone hates on osu

PixlSM 11-17-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld (Post 4597997)
things

im just addressing some of the things brought up in the OP.

as far as maps, yes a LOT of the maps are completely boring anime ops with very basic layering and no pr.

They dont allow dumps to be ranked, meaning hard maps are very limited.

The beatmap ranking system is run by people who probably dont even know what pr is anyways. and even if the BNs or whatever they are called knew what they were doing, the ground rules set in place are unnecessary and convoluted and as a result the ranked maps suffer.

about the leaderboards and ratings thing, once again I was responding to the OP. that being said, my statement about SR (which is a bad system) affecting the mapping meta in osu (lots of jumptrills, difficulty spikes, manipulatable patterns) still stands.

as far as the whole gameplay > graphics:
sure gameplay is more important, but the gameplay is osu is really bad (very easy to mash, poor acc system, score system is a complete joke, etc)

also if the skinning system is so bad I cant even get a setup I can read, thats pretty shit

Quote:

Every community will have its sourpatches, stepmania community included. Both games are community driven for the most part, and you can try to tie that into how both games are in their current states, especially including content provided by the community. As for the games at their core, the community did not actually create the actual game, just most of the content, so this statement i will still chalk up as it does not speak for the game.

again, the OP was about "why do people hate on osumania"

the community is a perfectly valid reason to hate a game (especially when its so integrated with everything in the game)

Quote:

I'm not one to say what is and isn't a rhythm game or anything, so here's what google/wiki says: Rhythm game or rhythm action is a genre of music-themed action video game that challenges a player's sense of rhythm.

I think that's a fair summary of what a rhythm game is. As to what makes it a joke I'm not 100% certain what you mean. It must be a very good joke considering its popularity.

I didnt say its NOT a rhythm game, im saying the devs dont know shit about rhythm gaming, and they have demonstrated it several times in the past (scorev2, combo scoring in std, peppy defending how easy it is to mash in om, etc)

Quote:

You can most definitely trash on either games scoring mechanics, but at the end of the day, it's an excuse not to get better.

I'd LOVE to see someone even try to call Wife scoring shit. Hell, even MIGS takes a massive shit on osumania's two scoring systems.

PixlSM 11-17-2017 08:16 AM

oh yeah, and you get a multiplier for using visual mods like hidden sudden and flashlight, despite the fact that the people who use those, use them because it makes the game EASIER to read.

SKG_Scintill 11-17-2017 10:35 AM

I don't like column colours

PixlSM 11-17-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaSM (Post 4598110)
While im not sure about the current state of it now, iirc this was reverted

but in the case it isnt
your point's still valid
i know someone who actually NEEDS to use flashlight because he cant read the game otherwise, it's kind of the same vein of someone using high scroll speeds because of short memory span or low scroll speeds or a mental illness/challenge they have to deal with. it's really fucking unfair

I mean just the very fact that this was considered a good idea and was pushed through shows just how oblivious the devs are. It took a massive community shitstorm to get it reverted. (Also iirc FL still had the bonus but not hidden and sudden, which further goes to show they didn’t learn their lesson)

SKG_Scintill 11-17-2017 11:25 AM

btw I don't know how far VSRGs are getting to e-sports

all of icy's points are valid when it comes to being a game that's enjoyable
but if osu!mania is trying to portray itself as an e-sport(contender), it should fix these issues regardless of casual enjoyment

Xiz 11-17-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leonid (Post 4598011)
osu is objectively better than ffr and if you think otherwise you are delusional

Exactly

Osu is 2017
FFR is 2007

Charu 11-17-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiz (Post 4598131)
FFR is 2004

Fixed!

dAnceguy117 11-17-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiz (Post 4598131)
Exactly

Osu is 2017
FFR is 2007

xiz is so two thousand and late

rushyrulz 11-17-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill (Post 4598123)
btw I don't know how far VSRGs are getting to e-sports

I'd be genuinelly shocked, no flabbergasted, if VSRGs ever evolved into an e-sport

SKG_Scintill 11-18-2017 10:55 AM

there were at least two osu!mania tournaments though

rushyrulz 11-18-2017 11:31 AM

I think there's a not-so-fine line between a couple tournaments and a full-blown esport

SpaceGorilla 11-18-2017 11:38 AM

fantastic thread

xXSora 11-18-2017 11:45 AM

[insert stepmania-biased opinion on how bad osu!mania is]

Mahou 11-18-2017 12:08 PM

Lol both games are fun to me.

R666 01-31-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahou (Post 4598457)
Lol both games are fun to me.

i think both suck but osu is a bit worse

Shodzzy 01-31-2018 04:37 PM

... It's Osu..?

Shodzzy 01-31-2018 04:43 PM

It's also a very shitty ripoff (? i mean, is it?) and I can't play with 5 controls at once lol

Moria 01-31-2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shodzzy (Post 4607035)
It's also a very shitty ripoff (? i mean, is it?) and I can't play with 5 controls at once lol

QueenAshy 07-1-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasticone (Post 4597915)
- Flawed rating system
- Laggy for some people
- Column colors is very hard to get used to
- Personally upscroll is not supported well enough for most skins

Just some reasons here.

1. Yeah, the star rating system is flawed. Though, abraker is working on a new star rating algorithm that favors jumptrills less and determines difficulty based on how hard the patterns actually are to read.

2. I don't see how it would lag, I've run it on a surface pro 4 before and it worked fine. (It would crash when loading complicated things in the editor or selecting too many objects at one time tho).

3. Loved charts kind of fix that. Some of them are above 13*; which is about lv. 110 on o2jam (number might be off, I'm not the biggest of o2jam players). But there are some ranked charts that are pretty hard, and DT exists (which can make things a lot harder btw).

4. Yeah, single color per column is kinda lame. I wish it had the beat colors like in FFR.

5. Depends on which skins, there's plenty of upscroll skins that work fine.

Aquellex 07-2-2018 02:57 AM

IIDX is just osu! with a turntable

Cbru8383x 01-15-2020 11:24 PM

People hate o!m becuase it has some unfamilliar features, as a o!m maina, when I came to ffr, ln's, and the even for other vsrg's, the having to let go at end of ln was what I was used to (although tbf getting used to ln's for 1st was weird af) anyways, people get lag case by case... yes the rankings usually suck, although in my 1.5yr+ of playing I've found quite a lot of good maps, and there's a bunch of good unranked maps... and people who complained 7k dominates: there's 4k maps, so yeah no, they don't there' plenty of 4k only players rank 400+. As for difficulty rating, yeah no, that's fk'ed, the devs don't care for it, so yeah... it's just a mess there... but I can't blame em, they have to focus on fixing the main game mode std (standard) and not making jumps give too much pp (and as of rn they're making new client with new revamp etc). (EDIT: Skinning portion is also your opinion, and again depends on what you're used to, and your skills/patience) Next, skinning a skin I find much simpler... although my experience with ffr skinning is practically nothing... o!m skinning is quite simple once you understand each element, as it's name based, and even the skin.ini file is easy to understand. You also can't say it's just anime moaning etc. because you could easilly make your own, even ifyou don't wanna take the time to make each element yourself, you could copy paste .png/.jpg and rename to make em for the specific element you want... including hitsounds (and colors if you don't like the colors because they're "to bright". It's skinning, you make it however you want.) Now as for only being able to scroll one way without plug in's...yeah that sucks for yall... i got used to it so I could say the same about other games which don't include scroll like o!u. It's just something the devs didn't consider when making the gamemode, and if it really bothers you, with the new client I'm willing to bet you could make an argument to make them include both. Then punishment for missing... yeah no, there's different hp, so if you're playing easier maps, the hp is rlly fking forgiving (usually, because you get to manually set this when mapping) and then harder ones have worse hp than any ffr map I've seen... plus the difficulty of the maps in o!u range to being more difficult than any ffr map I've played... I'd be willing to bet I can pass any ffr map... yet ik I can barely pass a few 6*'s. If you want a good example of a good o!u map, aiae waffles shd. Now, this I have problems with ffr would be: no ln's... can also give me lag with timings and honestly... I've had just as many problems w/ ffr as o!u. (and I've played o!u a lot more) and then song selection and maps are limited severely (although I can't blame them.) (addition I just remembered seeing in an arguement: yeah, people praise any decent player, because o!u is more popular rn than ffr, and people who are just new to the game are going to praise anyone they think is 1/2 decent... that would be the same for ffr if ffr was more popular. And if you want to attack me that ffr is more popular I'm going to have to say, based on active players... and total player count... o!m is still more popular, which is probably in part due to std mode and then advertisement (advertisement as in people showing off, usually are ones showing off o!u skills, and i'd say there's less ffr vids recently than o!u... especially with the "talent show" crap that a lot of the decent o!u players hate because 1/2 of em are intermediate players pretending to be good.))

Considering all of that, there's really no reason to hate either game... it's made for each game's player base, and if the game's not for you, it's not for you... both games have just as many problems, and just as many community issues (if you account for scale).

To answer this threads question: people will hate it because people don't like what they're not used to and then there's people who don't enjoy the game... and there's toxic/manipulative people who'll get new players and intermediate players etc. to agree with their toxic ideas while making it so they don't form their own conclusions.

XelNya 01-15-2020 11:52 PM

because it's actually shit

storn42 01-16-2020 12:16 AM

because this is a good bait thread :)
Also 2 years has passed and people have (mostly) given up on shitting on o!m.

icontrolyourworld 01-16-2020 12:37 AM

op never came back :(

Josemba 01-16-2020 11:02 AM

LNs are fun, but SV sucks

Dynam0 06-28-2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelNya (Post 4707705)
because it's actually shit

Hey look guys, this fucking loser thinks he can gate keep the rhythm gaming community on quality

rushyrulz 06-28-2021 08:18 AM

damn guess the counterbait worked

XelNya 06-28-2021 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynam0 (Post 4763287)
Hey look guys, this fucking loser thinks he can gate keep the rhythm gaming community on quality

I mean, I didn’t in that post, but eh. Keep up the attempts to be petty.

Untimely Friction 06-28-2021 11:24 PM

No one is mentioning that leaderboards may not be important, so far as top ranks, but are important to glean a sense of self improvement

Many players want to get better. If because of a bad ranking system you rank up, but arent appreciably getting better, you will feel bad. O!m encourages combo and bad habbits, a la manipulation. The ways you appear to get better objectively make you less accurate, or not learn the fundamentals. The mid to low range playera (most players) will suffer big time due to this, and the high level players will already have vsrg experience to know how to actually get better.

The ranking system needs to be diverse and well implemented for the majority of people to FEEL like they are improving, and actually be able to demonstrate it, or they will quit or call it a shit game.

K go home i answered the thread

Edit: ffr and etterna cleanly glean how you are getting better, thus they give more value to the player.

O!m is bigger because it forks off the established very different osu!

Comparing their actual popularity is donwright uninformed as to *how* people find games.

Wiosna 06-29-2021 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquellex (Post 4626194)
IIDX is just osu! with a turntable

facts

storn42 06-29-2021 03:58 AM

i look forward to posting in this thread in 10 years when people will still be posting in this thread every year.

mi40 06-29-2021 10:12 AM

people having fun is cool

choof 06-29-2021 01:45 PM

o!m the game is shit because their charting/mapping meta is boring farm bait garbage
osu the community is shit for two reasons: young sheltered anime avatar morons and groomers who target young sheltered anime avatar morons

FlynnMac 06-29-2021 02:02 PM

The way I see it, just let people enjoy what they want y'all, it's not hard. I personally prefer osu!mania over etterna and I'm doing well off. There's not one set way to do things and people shouldn't be forced to line up with one's specific rhythm game opinions. There really isn't much else needing to be said here.

aperson 06-29-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4763368)
o!m the game is shit because their charting/mapping meta is boring farm bait garbage
osu the community is shit for two reasons: young sheltered anime avatar morons and groomers who target young sheltered anime avatar morons

this seems like the only good critique i've heard out of anything so far.

also love that this thread is eternal and you can bump it any time any year to pick up right where you left off.

drizzleRomanceGirl 06-29-2021 10:04 PM

it's almost impossible to do well with a touchpad x.x (at least for me)

Wiosna 06-29-2021 10:49 PM

serious comment:
Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4763368)

The o!m charting meta primarily hasn't been boring farm bait garbage in years barring a small circle of people who make content for the ranked section. It seems to have fizzled out or at least delegated into a much smaller circle than it used to be. I think it has a lot to do with how older charters have been phasing out of osu!mania, but there are still people (primarily in Asian circles) taking influence from those older mappers or were taught by them.

It's obviously hard to summarise the charting meta of one giant rhythm game because every circle is so segregated, but the circles that I've mostly been observing focus a lot on "technical" charting that either focus a lot on visual emphasis (through the use of LNs, minijacks, and grace notes particularly, and bursts to a smaller extent), and/or enforcing a very strict sense of consistency through very consistent use of the same types of chords for specific sounds/types of percussion throughout. A lot of charts in that circle utilise a lot of LN emphasis to accentuate more details in the song as well. The charts in general are also relatively lightly layered if you take out the LNs in the charts. Their song choice has been more or less the same over the past few years though.

Dump charting in that circle follows very similar principles of trying to follow as many details as possible through the use of broken rhythms (e.g. bursts, gallops, and grace notes) rather than continuous rhythms.

I personally dislike that circle's style of mapping mostly because I think they focus way too much on visual emphasis in almost every capacity (dump charting or not) and way too little on how a chart plays, many patterns end up feeling as if they're too broken to play through or they lack the appropriate emphasis required to accent some rhythm kinaesthetically. There seems to be an absurd emphasis over how a chart looks and how it's structured rather than how a chart is played, far more than any other community. I do think that a lot of it has to do with the average skill level of a charter in that community (not all that high), but I'm not sure. Regardless, I can't say that that criticism is particular to that o!m charting circle.

That said, the o!m community is indeed pretty shitty because of the number of really dumb and occasionally malicious young sheltered people with anime avatars. This also includes some of the charting community. The groomers don't help too!

I do think that there are a lot of valid reasons to dislike osu!mania in general, either as an engine, as a community (or the people who are higher up), or in terms of charting approach in general. In general I do find the interface of just uploading a chart for people to try to be the most convenient part of it all and is my main reason for creating content for osu!mania.

choof 06-30-2021 12:20 PM

serious response

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiosna (Post 4763382)
The o!m charting meta primarily hasn't been boring farm bait garbage in years barring a small circle of people who make content for the ranked section.

that's one of the issues imo, o!m's scoring system kinda necessitates the kinds of charts that are easy to farm. if your chart is not deemed worthy enough to be ranked, there is far less reason to play it. that'll dictate the meta in some way. unless o!m players are jaded about pp now and don't give a shit about it anymore lol

Quote:

It's obviously hard to summarise the charting meta of one giant rhythm game because every circle is so segregated, but the circles that I've mostly been observing focus a lot on "technical" charting that either focus a lot on visual emphasis (through the use of LNs, minijacks, and grace notes particularly, and bursts to a smaller extent), and/or enforcing a very strict sense of consistency through very consistent use of the same types of chords for specific sounds/types of percussion throughout. A lot of charts in that circle utilise a lot of LN emphasis to accentuate more details in the song as well. The charts in general are also relatively lightly layered if you take out the LNs in the charts. Their song choice has been more or less the same over the past few years though.

Dump charting in that circle follows very similar principles of trying to follow as many details as possible through the use of broken rhythms (e.g. bursts, gallops, and grace notes) rather than continuous rhythms.
tbqh this kinda sounds like the same "artistic" evolution of charts that stpemaina saw, may b interested in looking at some of the better ones that you can think of

Quote:

I personally dislike that circle's style of mapping mostly because I think they focus way too much on visual emphasis in almost every capacity (dump charting or not)
and way too little on how a chart plays many patterns end up feeling as if they're too broken to play through or they lack the appropriate emphasis required to accent some rhythm kinaesthetically. There seems to be an absurd emphasis over how a chart looks and how it's structured rather than how a chart is played, far more than any other community. I do think that a lot of it has to do with the average skill level of a charter in that community (not all that high), but I'm not sure. Regardless, I can't say that that criticism is particular to that o!m charting circle.
generally I think there should be a balance of aesthetics and playability, especially if the chart is a technical one (as in more directly adheres to the music). with a dump I'd say there's more wiggle room and kinda depends on the charter's intent (see putaria). but if I can't play your dump because of some dumb patterns it better be fun as fuck to watch

Quote:

In general I do find the interface of just uploading a chart for people to try to be the most convenient part of it all and is my main reason for creating content for osu!mania.
ye that's pretty convenient, I've been doing the stepmania file sharing business for too long I suppose

Mahou 06-30-2021 05:03 PM

I don't necessarily think o!m is really that bad of a game - especially when it brought some players over to etterna as well. If anything, that's a blessing in disguise.

gold stinger 06-30-2021 05:18 PM

o!m is dogshit because people tell me it's dogshit and I have no reason to not believe them

Mahou 06-30-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold stinger (Post 4763404)
o!m is dogshit because people tell me it's dogshit and I have no reason to not believe them

So you have never played the game before?

gold stinger 06-30-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahou (Post 4763405)
So you have never played the game before?

yup, never played the game before. :mrgreen:

Lights 06-30-2021 09:42 PM

people hate on o!m because its riddled with poor design decisions.

choof 07-1-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahou (Post 4763403)
I don't necessarily think o!m is really that bad of a game - especially when it brought some players over to etterna as well. If anything, that's a blessing in disguise.

functionally, the game itself is mostly fine. there are some design choices I disagree w/ and I think the interface is bloated but that's basically it. most of my issues come with the content and the people playing it

CrashTheBoard 09-13-2021 10:16 PM

As someone who comes from o!m:

No snap colors.
No rates (besides 1.5 and .75)
No chart previews.
Deviance graph is weird.

Quality of life issues that just seem silly for a game that's generally got so much prestiege.

The ranking system is terrible.

Vibro/speed is pretty much the only thing that's even remotely valuable in terms of skillset for rank (at a higher level. It's not so bad when you're making pre 400-500 pp plays.)

Map variety is really bad. There's like, what, 1 ranked jack map at a high level? AiAe? No dumps? And I swear, there's like maybe 100 maps at the 6 star level. Maybe. You're better off importing from other games or browsing unranked. This would not be nearly as big of an issue if you could rate things because it would allow you to adjust maps to your skill level, but that doesn't exist in o!m.

My biggest gripe by far is the ranking system. It's just bad. It's really bad. The only reason it works is because generally as you improve your speed also will improve relative to other players. It feels very "subjective", which every ranking system will have to a degree; but in o!m it's like... on the far spectrum of subjective. I much prefer objectivity.

I'm also not sure why a maps difficulty isn't judged by the amount of PP it gives. Star rating not being tied into the ranked system or vice versa is just bizarre.