Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Audio and Music Production (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   FFR Artist Compilation (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=122036)

Coolboyrulez0 01-9-2012 04:54 PM

FFR Artist Compilation

Released: http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...57#post3630957

Haven't seen too much action here in the last few months really so I'm hopping to get things a little more active around these parts.

Without further ado, I propose to make a FFR Artist Compilation.
Simply, every FFRtist sends in a song with their respective genre (IDM/Breakcore for me, for example) of expertise and we compile the tracks and release them as a Compilation album.

If this is a successful we can make this a (bi)monthly release which not only sparks interest from other musicians but of course also can prove to be great material to be stepped for the game.

What I would need:
1 song each from all the active artists (preferably unreleased) as 320kbps mp3 sent to CBRSound@gmail.com and the genre that it represents.

I will take care of all the tagging and the album would be released right here on ffr, of course.

Anyone in?

PS: If this kicks off, can you make us a sweet cover, Gundam-dude? ;) (or any other skilled graphic designer)

PS2: New artists don't be shy! Send any of your works here, you will be welcomed with open ears and will not be scrutinized for your work.

ALL INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND HERE (will be updated as often as possible):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3c&output=html

Choofers 01-9-2012 04:54 PM

Re: FFR Artist Compilation

oh I can definitely make something for this. : D

sakura080789 01-9-2012 04:57 PM

hehe alright in

DJSBX 01-9-2012 04:58 PM

Interesting idea. I like it

zajac 01-9-2012 06:03 PM

Sent an email with several tracks/genres to choose from. :-)

DJSBX 01-9-2012 10:50 PM

when is the deadline per say?

V-Ormix 01-9-2012 11:12 PM

working on some thing...

CammyGoesRawr 01-9-2012 11:46 PM

I'll be in this (: I've been meaning to get my work known with at least one person somehow, this seems like a nice gateway(:

I have some Rave, some Dubstep, and a little snip of melodic speedcore i'm working on

V-Ormix 01-10-2012 12:41 AM

song made and sent n_n

sakura080789 01-10-2012 01:04 AM

sent mine in as well

Coolboyrulez0 01-10-2012 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSBX (Post 3611446)
when is the deadline per say?

Let's say I want to release this by the end of this month / beginning of next one.

Thanks for the steady amount of submissions and interest, guys :)

StoneMcKnuckle 01-13-2012 03:18 PM

Guess we can't allow this to reach page 2.

Threw you a song.

flashpantss 01-13-2012 04:03 PM

I will send one in soon :)

Coolboyrulez0 01-13-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneMcKnuckle (Post 3614698)
Guess we can't allow this to reach page 2.

Threw you a song.

Thanks, want to be credited as StoneMcKnuckle or your more famous alias?

Also, I appreciate all your submissions, people. Feel free to take your time with it but don't let this fade into obscurity. ETA is in about 2 weeks.

PS: Is the genre VG Metal is fine with you? Updated OP also.

StoneMcKnuckle 01-13-2012 08:20 PM

Stone McKnuckle (with a space) - I've discarded my old alias. VGMetal is fine, even though that's technically not really a genre ;>

championanwar 01-13-2012 09:40 PM

i'm interested, talk more on skype. . might incorperate it with my school work. I'll chat to you more on skype =3

sakura080789 01-13-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3614981)
i'm interested, talk more on skype. . might incorperate it with my school work. I'll chat to you more on skype =3

oh anwar you need to bring epicness to this as well.

Zageron 01-14-2012 05:32 PM

I would be down for supporting this, officially. There are a few guidelines we would have to follow though. If you're interested let me know, and I'll open the planning process with the Jungle Gym & Staff.

who_cares973 01-14-2012 05:42 PM

will contribute

Gundam-Dude 01-14-2012 05:44 PM

the only thing I can produce is shitty pianer

if I miraculously have time, I can contribute

Choofers 01-14-2012 05:56 PM

I'll probably end up sending two different songs, ambient and then speedcore.

Coolboyrulez0 01-14-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3615724)
I'll probably end up sending two different songs, ambient and then speedcore.

Yup I must explain an exception to the 1 song only rule.
This is okay, if a different alias is used (in his example Ro / AsphyxZero) or if it is a two part song (such as in my case).

PS: If submissions are really bad (this one has pretty good submission flow) I'll allow 2 songs per artist for the next Volume.

customstuff 01-14-2012 10:00 PM

Are we allowed to submit a song if it's a genre that's already been submitted?

I can definitely fix up a song or two for this :)

Coolboyrulez0 01-14-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by customstuff (Post 3615849)
Are we allowed to submit a song if it's a genre that's already been submitted?

I can definitely fix up a song or two for this :)

Most definitely.

Coolboyrulez0 01-15-2012 12:22 AM

All artists, please read the OP. Thank you in advance and I hope you are okay with these changes.

UnkownMan 01-15-2012 12:32 AM

I'll send something in.

EDIT: Is there any other way I can send songs in? My email is acting up on me, and the fact that my computer sucks overall isn't helping either.

Coolboyrulez0 01-15-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnkownMan (Post 3615958)
I'll send something in.

EDIT: Is there any other way I can send songs in? My email is acting up on me, and the fact that my computer sucks overall isn't helping either.

upload it to mediafire / rapidshare

and then pm me the link :>

UnkownMan 01-15-2012 02:32 PM

This thread needs to stop dying. :\

Kairon 01-20-2012 06:17 PM

I'll see if I can toss something together to keep the magic alive.

zajac 01-20-2012 09:05 PM

Quick question. Once the compilation is finished and such, what do you plan on doing with it from there? It's just going to be a free download and distributed for free, right?

Coolboyrulez0 01-21-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zajac (Post 3620598)
Quick question. Once the compilation is finished and such, what do you plan on doing with it from there? It's just going to be a free download and distributed for free, right?

Yes, it will be uploaded as for free only (not even donations) presumably on my bandcamp.
The link will be obviously posted here once done. After that I will begin and continue working with people on the official FFR label idea.

PS: I appreciate the bumps, but we still need submissions. 9 Songs are not going to cut it for a solid compilation release. Please, artists who haven't sent anything, send stuff in. If the deadline is reached and not enough songs (say 13-15) have arrived, I will have to extend this project longer than I want to.

Coolboyrulez0 01-24-2012 05:51 PM

3 Day Bump.

Okay we have reached 12 submissions. One more and we are at our goal of 13 tracks. Sweet.

So, here is the preliminary album title. If you don't like the title or anything about it feel free to suggest a change. This is a community project, after all:

I was personally thinking the "CBR Presents" sounds a bit pretentious and superfluous but on the contrary I like it's (official) ring. Please decide on that part, at least.

CobaltWire 01-24-2012 06:29 PM

I've got something I've been experimenting with recently. I'll send it in for the lulz. :P

championanwar 01-26-2012 08:23 PM

PM me how you want this, I just finished.

championanwar 01-27-2012 04:25 AM

Sent in.

Derp I should have read the OP.

sakura080789 01-27-2012 12:43 PM

yay we have some Anwar awesome to this

ScylaX 01-27-2012 06:54 PM

I'd send songs to this.
And I can make album arts too.

EDIT (because really CBR your gfx sometimes just are painful to look at) :

The point of the Clarendon R ? Just to spot the diversity (and Clarendon R's are sexier than Helvetica)

Coolboyrulez0 01-27-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScylaX (Post 3625777)
I'd send songs to this.
And I can make album arts too.

Sure, I'd love to receive more songs and an alternative (probably better) album art.
Title is CBR Presents Omnicore [http://i.imgur.com/R1Z4P.png], theme is rainbow to represent all the genres in this compilation. CBRCD001.

I'll give everyone another week or two, I'm gonna be soo busy this weekend and the more songs I get the better this release will be.

Absolutely appreciate all of you sending me these great songs. :)

ScylaX 01-27-2012 08:15 PM

Oh I get it, COLORS.

COLORS ! (with obligatory anime chick render because it'd be empty without it)

Zageron 01-27-2012 08:18 PM

Submitted. lol

Coolboyrulez0 01-27-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScylaX (Post 3625828)
Oh I get it, COLORS.

COLORS ! (with obligatory anime chick render because it'd be empty without it)

that's beautiful, i'll definitely use that 8)

sakura080789 01-27-2012 08:24 PM

o.O nice album art

Zageron 01-27-2012 08:26 PM

Oh, my song is called Flashlight.
Also, holy crap album art. o_o

SpookG 01-28-2012 03:01 AM

i kinda like the abstract version without the chick, since it forces me to compute more than oogle the drawing. But I am uncertain, as I am very tired,.

championanwar 01-28-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

ALL INFORMATION CAN BE FOUND HERE (will be updated daily):

Coolboyrulez0 01-28-2012 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3626016)

Changed 8)
Will update later tonight after test taking concludes.

SpookG 01-28-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3626016)

You gonna let that saucy Brit garbage you like that, meng?

(Sup Anwar! It's been a while!)

That's right, Fish and chips, whatchoo got, huh?

( hey dude how you been?)

who_cares973 01-28-2012 05:11 PM

that album art is dope scylax just drop the anime chick it'll look cleaner and not so out of place

Gundam-Dude 01-28-2012 05:49 PM

– Get rid of anime chick. Art style doesn't match the background and the hideous rainbow gradient is way too prominent is fighting with the background. If you're going to apply a gradient on her like this, make sure it's subtle and at the very least lines up with the gradient in the background so it doesn't look like you random threw her in it for the hell of it. All in all, anime chick should go.

– CBR Presents is uneven with kerning. Kern CBR and Presents closer as well because I can drive a ****ing truck through that gap.

– Also, CBR Presents should line up with OMNICORE. It only makes sense that way.

– When using different styles/weights in a family, please use only one type. In this case, you mixed Helvetica Bold (CBRCD–001) with Helvetica Bold Condensed (OMNICORE). You use either regular or condensed, not both.

– Clarendon and Helvetica are good typefaces but mixing both together in the same word is questionable. The thickness of the stem and bowls of the Clarendon R is way too thin in contrast to Helvetica Bold Condensed. If you're going to pull something like this off, try to at least make it even in weight so it doesn't look completely and utterly out of place.

– Oh, and mixing type classifications together is questionable. Why are you mixing sans-serif with slab serif in the same word is what I don't understand. You don't particularly have any justification as to why other than "Clarendon R's are sexier than Helvetica".

– Also, the top of the Clarendon R doesn't line up with the other letters. It's a few points too short and is very noticeable. I didn't even need to put the image into Photoshop and pull out rulers to spot that.

– The lines in the background, try lining up all the type to them. It'll unify the look better as opposed to having it misaligned.

– Why is there a gloss effect on CBRCD–001 but no where else? Keep your effects consistent.

– Typography sin with the hyphen in CBRCD–001.

– Personally, those holes in OMNICORE as a result of the stroke is distracting. I'd fill the two gaps in with white.

– Likewise, where CBR meets with the anime chick is distracting.

Just some pointers for Scylaax for what he can improve and work on.

Coolboyrulez0 01-28-2012 05:53 PM

that's why i love you, gd :')

(maybe you should give it a shot *wink*)

How about this one, guys? Simple & clean (sepia effect is intentional of course):

wwplpmpn 01-29-2012 03:05 AM

yo scylax, your cover reminds me of this piece by james white

while his retrofitted 70s style imagery may not be congruent to what you had in mind, i suggest u take his approach to typesetting into consideration. remember that font choices are not to be taken lightly; effective typesetting can really bring a piece to life while thoughtless, haphazard typography will ruin it

idk what font hes using in the poster exactly (prob some futura-esque geometric sans serif) but it really emphasized the retro look and feel of the desigb

just be consistent in what ure trying to convey. every aspect of a good design has to have a purpose. if you can't think of a good reason for doing something a certain way, then u shouldn't do it. ur replacement of the helvetica r with the clarendon r suffers from this problem

anyway looks cool bru, but take out some stuff and tidy it up and itll look cooler 8)

ScylaX 01-29-2012 06:31 AM

Holy crap I wasn't expecting that much reaction guys. I like to be ExPErImENtal though. (also the font used for the poster wwplpmpn seems to be AvantGarde Md Bold)

(also yeah the font seems different because I was using League Gothic font and not Helvetica :ilied: )

Gundam-Dude 01-29-2012 12:36 PM

Looks better. Only other thing I'd suggest is giving CBR PRESENTS OMNICORE more breathing room at the bottom by shifting it up. Likewise with CBRCD–001 but shifting it down-right.

@CBR:
– Spacious but lacking some impact in terms of visual interest. Mostly due to how out of focus and grainy it is and the faint rainbow. It needs something more to it to make it less boring with all honesty.

– Adjust colour scheme a bit. Red, being the most noticeable colour in general, draws all the attention towards the bold OMNICORE. The message being perceived from the bold red doesn't seem to match the given context of your background colours. When you think bold and red, you think of something rather hardcore, blood boiling, and angry. In contrast, the muddy yellow and green is soothing and harmonious. Kind of polar opposites as a result of the green being mixed in, creating a mixed message. Everyone knows that red and green are complementary colours but in general they don't make for great colour schemes, especially with that colour palette being closely associated to Christmas.

– As such, it's a bit hard to incorporate a rainbow on top of two colours without one colour overpowering the other. Choose one colour scheme and use different shades, tints, and tones. Otherwise, go the opposite end of the spectrum and do the rainbow thing Scylaax was trying at the cost of making it look tacky.

– More than 2 typefaces that don't fit together. Basic rule of thumb: don't combine typefaces unless you -know- they go well together. You're taking a rather huge risk by using flashy typefaces like these as a result (which is why designers usually stick with classic typefaces as opposed to shit you'd find from like dafont and other sites). No more than 2 typefaces on the same page/canvas. There are rarely combinations of 3 that actually work well.

– CBRCD–001 is placed way too close to the corner. Give it more breathing room because it's suffering from claustrophobia right now.

– The small lightly coloured blob directly above the rainbow where it meets the green also keeps drawing my attention. Try to cover that up or something.

– If you're going for sepia, make it look like sepia. I can barely even see the resemblance, rofl.

Good call for making the type diagonal and off-centered. It makes it more visual interesting to look at. The strip behind the title also adds a nice touch and I like the fact that CBR Presents sits right on top of it. Also that the rainbow meets where the strip ends, creating a rounded triangular pattern.

Coolboyrulez0 01-29-2012 12:43 PM

Thank you for taking the time to critique our works, I think I speak for us both when I say it helps us grow as fellow artists.

And yeah saying it's "sepia" was honestly a really poor choice of words.
It's a gradient background with a rainbow image juxtaposed above the gradient and then filters / blending options were used.

Btw, my weakest area is typography, for certain, seeing as I've never had the chance to properly learn about it.
So hyped for typography class in college.

championanwar 01-29-2012 08:19 PM

Rob, where the **** have you been? Long time! ;D Life takes over and shit, all good though.
You best be submitting shit for this!

SpookG 01-30-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3626981)
Rob, where the **** have you been? Long time! ;D Life takes over and shit, all good though.
You best be submitting shit for this!

I actually mailed in about ten songs, because I am an asshole and am too lazy to choose, so CBR gets to instead while I continually bump his thread.

Coolboyrulez0 01-30-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookG (Post 3627223)
I actually mailed in about ten songs, because I am an asshole and am too lazy to choose, so CBR gets to instead while I continually bump his thread.

Appreciate it :>

Okay, Spreadsheet in OP updated. If you disagree with your Genre placement let your voice be heard. About another week or so of submissions and this is released.

Am absolutely psyched about the community involvement!

NumiGamer 01-30-2012 05:05 PM

I'm down if there's still room :D I'll shoot you an e-mail asap.

championanwar 01-30-2012 05:13 PM

*alternative

sakura080789 01-30-2012 05:16 PM

this is going to have some good tracks on it

Coolboyrulez0 01-30-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3627675)
*alternative

Just alternative? Pretty sure that's not a genre.
Alternative Rock, Dance, whatever, perhaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakura080789 (Post 3627681)
this is going to have some good tracks on it

Sure is :>

championanwar 01-30-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolboyrulez0 (Post 3627682)
Just alternative? Pretty sure that's not a genre.
Alternative Rock, Dance, whatever, perhaps.

You put "visions of an alternate reality" when it's "visions of an alternative reality.

Coolboyrulez0 01-30-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3627695)
You put "visions of an alternate reality" when it's "visions of an alternative reality.

Oh, derp.
Genre classification alright btw? :>

DJSBX 01-30-2012 06:47 PM

looking good :D

SpookG 01-30-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championanwar (Post 3627695)

Shut up, what do you know about naming stuff? You're British. GET BACK TO YOUR CAGE BOI AND WRITE ME SOME MUSIC

championanwar 01-30-2012 08:53 PM

Alls good, breakbeats/breaks sounds good. Can't wait to hear this stuff =)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookG (Post 3627860)
Shut up, what do you know about naming stuff? You're British. GET BACK TO YOUR CAGE BOI AND WRITE ME SOME MUSIC

you dont know shit brah **** da poliec 8) get writing mang

Coolboyrulez0 01-30-2012 09:36 PM

~hype~

last week to send your songs, people. this drops next week.

~hype~

XxMidigamixX 01-30-2012 10:06 PM

edit: scratch that. I have a better song and its shorter lol

also, Fat's Sabobah <3 missed listening to his songs :3

who_cares973 01-30-2012 10:29 PM

why do i see 128 and 160 bitrates :|

sakura080789 01-30-2012 10:37 PM

i feel special to be on an album with great artists

Coolboyrulez0 01-30-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3627981)
why do i see 128 and 160 bitrates :|

Because people don't listen / can't or don't want to output at 320.

Would still love to have 320s for those songs, if possible :>

PS: You got a week carlos mayne, dont sweat it

who_cares973 01-30-2012 10:38 PM

also **************************************************************************************************** im still trying to get a song for this finished but have no time ;_;

XxMidigamixX 01-30-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3627988)
also **************************************************************************************************** im still trying to get a song for this finished but have no time ;_;

you can do it Carlos~

Zageron 01-30-2012 10:56 PM

Go for it Craolas~

XxMidigamixX 01-31-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakura080789 (Post 3627986)
i feel special to be on an album with great artists

So do I hehu

ScylaX 01-31-2012 09:05 AM

My song is at 128 kb because of the fact I'm using audacity at some point for my music.
And I just can't figure out how to make an mp3 that has a better bitrate, but if you want my opinion, the thing is released at 320 bitrates everytime FL Studio makes the mp3 and I don't feel much differences.

SpookG 01-31-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScylaX (Post 3628251)
My song is at 128 kb because of the fact I'm using audacity at some point for my music.
And I just can't figure out how to make an mp3 that has a better bitrate, but if you want my opinion, the thing is released at 320 bitrates everytime FL Studio makes the mp3 and I don't feel much differences.

No no, my darling, there is a huge difference. Really. If you can get it out as a .wav I can convert it for you.

Zageron 01-31-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookG (Post 3628309)
No no, my darling, there is a huge difference. Really. If you can get it out as a .wav I can convert it for you.

This. Always work with a lossless format when you are creating music... (wav, flac, ape)

ScylaX 01-31-2012 04:35 PM

Okay WC told me how to extract 320kbp/s MP3 files from audacity, I'm proceeding to make a proper 320kbp/s version.

sakura080789 01-31-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScylaX (Post 3628409)
Okay WC told me how to extract 320kbp/s MP3 files from audacity, I'm proceeding to make a proper 320kbp/s version.

how do you do that exactly. i would like to give CBR a 320kps version