Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Films and Television (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Anime Request Help (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=138951)

drizzleRomanceGirl 09-13-2014 02:47 PM

Anime Request Help

I thought watching an anime about a shy main character who tries to be social and volunteer to try to slowly overcome his or her timid personality would be a lot of fun to watch. Does anyone know of or personally watched an anime with this characteristic? I am specifically looking for a school setting, but any setting will be alright.

Thank you in advance. :)

YoshL 09-13-2014 03:04 PM

Re: Anime Request Help

only thing that pops into mind is one week , and that's not 100% that theme, but it's somewhat close

Kanzas 09-13-2014 03:07 PM

Hmm, not sure... Blood+ though comes to mind, since the main character is somewhat a loner by nature. Idunno lol

Gundam-Dude 09-13-2014 03:56 PM

I think kimi ni todoke is up your alleyway

· extremely shy girl
· people avoid her because she seems creepy
· popular guy in school begins talking to her
· she begins to overcome her timidness and make friends and such

Red Blaster 09-13-2014 05:40 PM

Watamote springs to mind.
Idk..that's a really obscure reference to look for.

ScylaX 09-13-2014 06:44 PM

Watamote and NHK are mainly about social outcasts dealing with their bad ways from which tragicomic comedy arises. And they're both kind of eerie at times so I really don't know if that's the kind of thing you'd want to watch. Watamote is relatively episodic while NHK explores the various conditions of a shut-in by the mean of the main character till reaching a denouement.
Watamote would have been a good recommandation but the main character's situation basically doesn't move an inch and each of her tentatives to "get popular" ultimately falls appart in a burst of embarrasment. And NHK's setting clearly not your casual teenager's school life, it's a series about being independent, dealing with society and living as an adult.

There are a handful of shy and timid characters you can relate to but anime casually dealing with it and revolving around that aspect as a narrative basis aren't really numerous. Usually they're just comedy.

Similarly to Kimi no Todoke, I think Kids on the Slope is not a bad recommandation. Well the shyness of the protagonist is mainly just an aspect of the plot rather than the main "engine" of the narration but it's present as an underlying dynamic for a good part of the show, and you have a quite relevant "Lone and withdrawn character unexpectedly making a friend, keeping a somehow fragile relationship and slowly opening to others" intrigue that sort of matches your request. If you're looking for an inspiring story about a timid individual blooming by the mean of a sincere friendship, that tells you quite some things about "life", with a considerable accent on relationships and such, I think that's what you should watch.

What you want is really specific so it's hard to find suitable suggestions tho

Buta-san 09-13-2014 10:12 PM

Your description of what you are looking for perfectly describes Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou.
Comedy, Romance, School, Slice of Life.
Aired this spring I think. http://myanimelist.net/anime/21405/

But all these suggestions are nice too.

drizzleRomanceGirl 09-14-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoshL (Post 4199806)
only thing that pops into mind is one week , and that's not 100% that theme, but it's somewhat close

I kind of like the anime, but I would rather watch an anime that specifically deals with a main character who gradually tries to open up to people and who grows to feel comfortable being him or herself in order to overcome his or her anxiety. Thank you for the recommendation, though; I had fun watching the first half of the anime. :)

Zageron 09-14-2014 01:54 PM

You could read Oyasumi Punpun. It's pretty deep/depressing though.

ScylaX 09-14-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zageron (Post 4200377)
You could read Oyasumi Punpun. It's pretty deep/depressing though.

Compared to what OP is asking, it's a kinda far-fetched recommandation

Zageron 09-14-2014 02:14 PM

It almost matches the request completely. Except if you know Oyasumi Punpun you know that it totally doesn't at all. :D

ScylaX 09-14-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zageron (Post 4200386)
Except if you know Oyasumi Punpun you know that it totally doesn't at all. :D

Yeah that's the main foundation of my post
Punpun is great but you're on for a ride of story made of a thousand of desillusions and eeeeeehhhh OP's request seemed a bit too "naive" to fit to a work like that ; so I'm really trying to recommend stuff that fits her expectations best

drizzleRomanceGirl 09-14-2014 04:12 PM

ScylaX, I appreciate that you're trying to match my request as accurately as possible, but I'm willing to try all types of anime even if it doesn't exactly fit my description. For all I know, I could like a request even more than I imagine.

P.S. I'm planning to try out all of the anime people have recommended in this thread in order from the post date, so expect me to comment on the next anime soon. Thanks again for all of your suggestions everyone; I didn't expect so many replies.

ScylaX 09-14-2014 04:38 PM

Oh alright then

drizzleRomanceGirl 09-19-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanzas (Post 4199807)
Hmm, not sure... Blood+ though comes to mind, since the main character is somewhat a loner by nature. Idunno lol

I liked the personalities of the characters, but there is too much action for my taste, and Saya, the main character, is generally comfortable speaking to her friends and family. I liked the anime overall, though. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Kanzas 09-19-2014 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzleRomanceGirl (Post 4203546)
I liked the personalities of the characters, but there is too much action for my taste, and Saya, the main character, is generally comfortable speaking to her friends and family. I liked the anime overall, though. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

No problem, I'm glad you liked it :)

Red Blaster 09-19-2014 11:17 PM

Nano from Nichijou comes to mind, but idk.
Also Shinji from Evangelion but I mean it's like one character picks up on one particular aspect of what you're looking for while the rest of the anime is completely different xD

drizzleRomanceGirl 09-20-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Blaster (Post 4199871)
Watamote springs to mind.
Idk..that's a really obscure reference to look for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPopadopalis25 (Post 4199811)
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui, aka watamote.

Also The Tatami Galaxy features a guy trying to make the most out of his rose-colored college days.

Welcome to the NHK might fit your reqs too.

I had already watched Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui (catches my breath) and most of Welcome to the NHK. The first anime is kind of interesting and fits my description, but the main character's personality is a little too dark for my taste, and I don't like the humor too much. Welcome to the NHK is more about becoming a productive member of society than trying to become more outgoing and to make friends.

I just watched one episode and half of episode two of Tatami Galaxy, but I would rather watch an anime that doesn't involve fate or destiny and relies on the main character's own free will. In addition, I don't like how the timeline is reversed every episode, (or at least the second episode) because I value continuity and want consequences to always stay that way. I thought it was funny the first few minutes because the anime speeds up whenever background information is mentioned, but I don't enjoy the anime as much when I have to concentrate just to keep up with it. Thank you for the suggestions, though; I'm glad I watched these anime. :)

Kanzas 09-20-2014 01:30 PM

I must say, Drizz, that you are searching for something that seems.. Almost like trying to find a Unicorn; Impossible and mythological. In saying that... I absolutely love your persistence and determination! Keep at it! :D