Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   can we get an interview thread (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=135809)

choof 03-15-2014 12:40 PM

can we get an interview thread

where we post our upcoming interviews for jobs, tell people about why we're nervous, give tips, etc etc

I have an interview tomorrow with an upstart IT company, I'm not expecting much but since I now have civilian experience as a systems analyst, I'm way more confident than I was when I interviewed for the job in Colorado

Cavernio 03-15-2014 01:13 PM

Re: can we get an interview thread

Do you meet all the qualifications they listed? If so you're probably ahead of most people applying for the job. Be confident!

Ohaider 03-15-2014 01:17 PM

Xiz 03-15-2014 01:18 PM

So I have founded my own company, and have gone through a good few hundred or so applications in regards to hiring people. If you need to do a quick skype practice thingy, hit me up.

Xiz 03-15-2014 01:21 PM

Also, this is what I see in people:

In this job market, depending on the position there are people who are going to be on the exact same level as you, if not more qualified. There are companies that I know of that are going as far back as looking at SAT scores, and looking at parking tickets to differentiate you with the competition. (Which I find ridiculous...)

What I like to see is simple:

- What makes you stand out
- Why are you not replaceable by another person
- Prove you have the work ethic needed to work for me

FoJaR 03-15-2014 03:55 PM

dont say dumb shit

choof 03-15-2014 03:59 PM

i have a few lines that i want to use during my interview tomorrow

one is "i make ospf my bitch"

devonin 03-15-2014 04:01 PM

Hope to God you find a boss like me, because I find all of the above posted infographic bullshit to be complete and utter bullshit.

If it looks like your resume was created by consulting "effective words" I'm going to dismiss you. If you come in with a bunch of prepared answers to "Common" questions, it's going to be super obvious and I'm going to dismiss you.

Here's how I do job interviews:

1/ Convert the 200 resumes I received into the maybe 3 or 4 people who have any chance whatsoever to get a job at my shop.

2/ Call them in for interviews.

2a/ Describe to -them- what the job is
2b/ Chat about things that have nothing to do with the job for about 5 minutes
2c/ Make sure they can handle the physical demands of the job

If after that, they aren't reading like a total asshole, or incompetent, or someone who clearly doesn't give a shit about the job beyond the fact that it is a job, I bring them in for two paid work shifts so they can actually work the job, with the customers, with the other staff. At the end of those two days, in consultation with my assistant managers, hire them or don't.

devonin 03-15-2014 04:03 PM

Oh man, that last one, questions for the HIRING PERSON to be asked by the one GETTING interviewed? If you asked me any of those I'd just show you the door. Fuck right off asking me my plans for the business in 10 years, or how great I think you'd be if you got hired.

I also love how these things give so much contradictory information.

When asked "What would the person who likes you least in the world say about you?" you're supposed to pick a quality that is sort of negative but which you could spin into a positive. And then also, NEVER LIE. Pretty sure if the person who likes you least in the world only has "He's impatient" to say about you, you're full of shit.

choof 03-15-2014 04:06 PM

I'm not even sure what this job entails. He said it's an upstart IT company, so it could be that he's contracting me to set up his servers/domain/network (although he said the domain's already set up) or he's looking for people to contract for his company.

Either way, I'm going to nail this interview.

FoJaR 03-15-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4097743)
Hope to God you find a boss like me, because I find all of the above posted infographic bullshit to be complete and utter bullshit.

If it looks like your resume was created by consulting "effective words" I'm going to dismiss you. If you come in with a bunch of prepared answers to "Common" questions, it's going to be super obvious and I'm going to dismiss you.

Here's how I do job interviews:

1/ Convert the 200 resumes I received into the maybe 3 or 4 people who have any chance whatsoever to get a job at my shop.

2/ Call them in for interviews.

2a/ Describe to -them- what the job is
2b/ Chat about things that have nothing to do with the job for about 5 minutes
2c/ Make sure they can handle the physical demands of the job

If after that, they aren't reading like a total asshole, or incompetent, or someone who clearly doesn't give a shit about the job beyond the fact that it is a job, I bring them in for two paid work shifts so they can actually work the job, with the customers, with the other staff. At the end of those two days, in consultation with my assistant managers, hire them or don't.

can i work for you?

Dynam0 03-15-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4097744)
Oh man, that last one, questions for the HIRING PERSON to be asked by the one GETTING interviewed? If you asked me any of those I'd just show you the door. Fuck right off asking me my plans for the business in 10 years, or how great I think you'd be if you got hired.

I also love how these things give so much contradictory information.

When asked "What would the person who likes you least in the world say about you?" you're supposed to pick a quality that is sort of negative but which you could spin into a positive. And then also, NEVER LIE. Pretty sure if the person who likes you least in the world only has "He's impatient" to say about you, you're full of shit.

Small business employers actually know what the hell they're doing when they hire people and I agree 100%. For larger corporations or in government offices, I would imagine some of these techniques would sadly pay off :/

devonin 03-15-2014 04:15 PM

Yeah, if I was asked by an interviewer what colour my parachute would be, I would just walk out.

Vendetta21 03-15-2014 04:16 PM

the only question i ever ask beyond benefits wages stuff is "can you describe what it look like to be successful in this position?

FoJaR 03-15-2014 04:17 PM

what color your parachute would be? isnt that just a strange way of asking what someone's favorite color is?

devonin 03-15-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoJaR (Post 4097751)
what color your parachute would be? isnt that just a strange way of asking what someone's favorite color is?

It's "supposed" to tell you more things than that. But every single one of those questions designed to somehow get you a magical insight into somebody's personality are made redundant because I have the ability to just put a candidate in the job and watch them.

Vendetta21 03-15-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendetta21 (Post 4097750)
the only question i ever ask beyond benefits wages stuff is "can you describe what it look like to be successful in this position?

the reason i ask that is because unless its an HR manager i expect the person hiring me to have a really good idea of what they want out of me and not try to hide it plus it doesn't signal anything bad on my part to ask

if they say "success looks like a great month in sales" i think "oh this person never stops looking at spreadsheets and never leaves their office and manages entirely via metrics" etc.

Reincarnate 03-15-2014 04:39 PM

Anyone who asks bullshit questions in an interview = probably not worth working for

Also: Believe it or not, (based on some studies I'm too lazy to look up), a great deal of one's job satisfaction depends on how well you get along with your coworkers/manager.

igotrhythm 03-15-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaider (Post 4097632)

Don't overuse it and be yourslef (sic).