Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Bug Reports and Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   FFR Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=115681)

qqwref 07-12-2011 10:23 PM

Re: FFR Suggestions

Here's a big one: modify the FFR file format to keep more precise track of note timing.

Right now timings are stored as integer frames. That's been good so far, since this has been a 30 fps game for practically a decade, but there are a whole bunch of features that would be really cool, but would be very unpleasant to add (if not impossible) if we keep the timing this way. Different frame rates (45/60 fps?), rate mods, fractional offsets, non-frame-based timing, higher judge difficulties...

If you do make this change, one option is to just allow decimal frame numbers. So instead of [89, 'L', 'yellow'] or whatever you'd have something more like [88.7956, 'L', 'yellow']. The game would still place it on frame 89, because of rounding, but the greater accuracy would prevent any gameplay modifications from destroying the chart. Bonus advantage to doing it this way: you don't have to throw out the old charts, because the 30fps engine will still play them perfectly!

Velocity 07-12-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqwref (Post 3502675)
Here's a big one: modify the FFR file format to keep more precise track of note timing.

Right now timings are stored as integer frames. That's been good so far, since this has been a 30 fps game for practically a decade, but there are a whole bunch of features that would be really cool, but would be very unpleasant to add (if not impossible) if we keep the timing this way. Different frame rates (45/60 fps?), rate mods, fractional offsets, non-frame-based timing, higher judge difficulties...

If you do make this change, one option is to just allow decimal frame numbers. So instead of [89, 'L', 'yellow'] or whatever you'd have something more like [88.7956, 'L', 'yellow']. The game would still place it on frame 89, because of rounding, but the greater accuracy would prevent any gameplay modifications from destroying the chart. Bonus advantage to doing it this way: you don't have to throw out the old charts, because the 30fps engine will still play them perfectly!

The converter rounds it, even before it's placed into the swf. Though you just made me work out the final piece of BW timing.

rushyrulz 07-13-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScarletSky (Post 3499477)
A. so?
B. No it wouldn't -__-

A. Songs that belong in genre A shouldn't go into genre B..
B. If 50 songs got moved to token ranks, I would lose 50 public AAAs and 50 public FCs (the kind that actually matters).

qqwref 07-13-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocity (Post 3502731)
The converter rounds it, even before it's placed into the swf.

Yeah, I assumed that was the case. So to start using the new format, you'd just have to delete that line of code, and put the rounding function in the engine instead.

MaxGhost 07-13-2011 06:43 PM

The sort is all kinds of ****ed up. When you sort in reverse order, you'll get 900s then 800s then 1000s for some reason. Are you using alphabetical sort instead of numerical here? A quick sort algorithm fix is easy I think. Especially after playing a song, it doesn't attempt to re-sort the songs afterwards. Also, it'll throw out a lower rank on a song for a higher rank sometimes (not sure why) and that's what gets put in the song list. Say I have a AAA on excite bike, then just derp and get like 32k rank, then it'll list that instead in the song list even though I have the AAA. Sometimes songs won't get cleared off the list if sorted by FC or by AAA if you FC or AAA it. Also, tokens don't show up until a reload of the engine.

bmah 07-15-2011 07:37 PM

Have a new suggestion, but I'm going to preserve the previous suggestion so it can be seen and I can remember it:

Quote:

auto-lock extremely old threads (let's say 2008 and older)

in the same vein, as time progresses, lock threads that are three years older than the present (some people may want to legitimately revive older threads, so I thought 3 years lag is sufficient)

A lot of newbies revive old threads simply because they're naive about it and mostly post from their most common method of searching: Google. (as opposed to an FFR forum search)
Some even admit that their posting was due to a result from a Google search. Prevent this from happening by auto-locking extremely old threads. Otherwise it's manual, unnecessary, and we get a lol every time someone does that.
Alright, new suggestion now:

Is it possible to add spoiler tags instead of having people change the font color, which is admittedly still readable if white? Spoiler tags are in many other forums. It's essentially a hidden quote which can be revealed if you press a "show" button.
I've noticed this issue which came up prominently in the Harry Potter movie discussion thread, and it has likely come up in other movie, story, or game thread.

Spoiler tags can also add emphasis and a unique touch to certain posts, in general.

master q60 07-15-2011 10:01 PM

Not that its a big deal but can you get rid of [Heavy] at the end of songs that DONT have another version of the song such as blooddrunk.

emulord 07-15-2011 11:36 PM

Have a list of costs of purchased/secret songs be a locked thread thats stickied

TC_Halogen 07-15-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emulord (Post 3504406)
Have a list of costs of purchased/secret songs be a locked thread thats stickied

Why not just look at the Ingame Song Information thread? That information is all listed there.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by master q60 (Post 3504314)
Not that its a big deal but can you get rid of [Heavy] at the end of songs that DONT have another version of the song such as blooddrunk.

Blooddrunk actually has a [Light] chart. Some of the songs that have [Heavy] on them may have been part of the widget engine at some point or another, which means the charts might be somewhere on the site.

ic0slay3r 07-16-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmah (Post 3504267)
Have a new suggestion, but I'm going to preserve the previous suggestion so it can be seen and I can remember it:

Alright, new suggestion now:

Is it possible to add spoiler tags instead of having people change the font color, which is admittedly still readable if white? Spoiler tags are in many other forums. It's essentially a hidden quote which can be revealed if you press a "show" button.
I've noticed this issue which came up prominently in the Harry Potter movie discussion thread, and it has likely come up in other movie, story, or game thread.

Spoiler tags can also add emphasis and a unique touch to certain posts, in general.

Spoiler tags can be useful in many way, including Tournaments threads to keep them a little more organized, FFR scores~, and many other threads. I never really understood why dint this forums had them in the first place.

Velocity 07-16-2011 01:49 AM

The replay code is actually a edited spoiler tag. I should be able to add one easily.

Edit:
I hope this is good enough for all of you

If not, I even let you set the button text.

ic0slay3r 07-16-2011 02:11 AM

??

PS. thx velo :D

bmah 07-16-2011 02:23 AM

Setting the button text...now THAT I haven't seen. Thanks much!

G.S.M 07-16-2011 02:31 AM

lololol

cool

jimerax 07-16-2011 02:32 AM

Nice features bro.

wargasm1 07-16-2011 10:27 AM

Is there a plan to put the legacy genre 100% token instead of the songs being in token + normal level ranks?

PrawnSkunk 07-16-2011 10:29 AM

an option to play FFR in 3D, as in the settings menu, genre selector and arrows being in red and cyan to pop out.

it'd be a neat project :p

wargasm1 07-16-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk (Post 3504595)
an option to play FFR in 3D, as in the settings menu, genre selector and arrows being in red and cyan to pop out.

it'd be a neat project :p

sure and that wouldnt lag at all :P

qqwref 07-16-2011 11:08 AM

Velocity

Niala 07-16-2011 11:37 AM

Spoiler tags huh? inb4 people post mountains of gifs inside a spoiler tag to lagfest.