Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How to get better at FFR (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=34804)

iggymatrixcounter 11-20-2005 11:00 PM

How to get better at FFR

I€™m tired of reading €œHow do I get awesome at this game?€ threads€.

Hence my rant of How to get better at FFR

First and foremost: PRACTICE!!!!!! this cannot be stressed enough. How do you get better at football? How do you master the gameplay of chess? How does one become a rocket scientist? You practice the trade and learn about what you want to get good at.

But I€™ve learned a couple tricks that, coming from my own experiences, can make your practice more effective.

1 ) Scroll the screen so you only see about half of the total screen. C300 (The speed of EVERY song on FFR is not the best way to read many of the harder songs. By scrolling up the screen your reaction time is less thus making it SEEM faster and easier to read. (Trust me it does, ask anyone that has any high score and I€™ll bet you they tell you the same thing.)

2 ) Try to hit ALL the arrows. Don€™t worry if you get averages, they still keep your combo going. (unlike Step Mania) Your total score heavily depends on a high max combo so hit every arrow at all costs.

3 ) After being able to Full Combo (FC) a song (or not get any misses.) work on your Perfect Attack (PA for short). It€™s relatively easier to get perfects on FFR than the standard Step Mania difficulty and the more perfects you get the higher your total score. (Keep in mind that you€™ll want to keep your combo over getting more perfects as the max combo has more weight to the scoring system.)

4 ) Finally once you€™ve gotten a decent PA (Perfect Attack) and can FC (Full Combo) a song..... €œGo for the AAA!!!€ (<-- A common term sometimes said to other users) This is where you get all perfects, thus getting the highest possible score for the particular song you are playing. To me this is the only way someone can say that they€™ve mastered a song. Every song has a difficulty we can work on if we€™ve never gotten a AAA.

Well there you go all you new players. I hope this can be of some help to getting you on your way to becoming a better player. Remember you have to PRACTICE in order to get good, but if you can make your practice more effective, then you can become better, faster.

HOW FFR SCORES YOUR SONG

550 for each perfect
275 for each good
55 for each average
-310 for each miss
-20 for each boo
1000 for each step in your max combo
(from igotrhythm)

And there you have it.... if anyone wants to add something they feel has helped them, I€™ll take it into consideration and possibly add it to my list.

Advice from fellow FFR Players:

Doug31: Find a direction that fits your style. (I.E. having the arrows scroll up or down basically.) I've found that playing down is easier than up and I've been playing up for a long time.

LinkisDoomed: My suggestion: don't just play once with one finger style and keep playing that way. I'm stuck with one hand and I don't want to transfer to 2 handed methods because I'm gonna suck at it for a while. Test yourself for a while on different styles of playing.

*Sticky Please?*

shadowAKA086 11-21-2005 01:46 AM

RE: NOOBS READ: How to get better at FFR

Thanks for the help! I'm a new player, and I've gotten a bit better since I've joined, but I want to improve as much as possible. Your guide helped me a lot. Thanks! :D

kmlt 11-21-2005 01:54 AM

RE: NOOBS READ: How to get better at FFR

Yeah thanks a bunch for all the advice it is greatly appriciated.^^*

luc_marceau 11-21-2005 03:42 AM

This has actually help me out thanks

igotrhythm 11-21-2005 09:01 AM

Actually (and Bandit pointed this out to me earlier), the end of song scoring system also subtracts 15 points for each boo you get, and in the game you get 5 points taken away for each boo. So in total, the scoring works this way (forget about the during-song score):

550 for each perfect
275 for each good
55 for each average
-310 for each miss
-20 for each boo
1000 for each step in your max combo

Doug31 11-21-2005 11:06 AM

I know another thing that helps a lot. Make sure the arrows are scrolling down, not up. I played on UP for a couple months, and then I tried DOWN a couple games, and I could already get 480,000 on CIA Rave on DOWN, but only 280,000 on UP, even though I had played UP 500x more than I'd played DOWN.

FishFishRevolution 11-21-2005 11:48 AM

Re: NOOBS READ: How to get better at FFR

I was going to post "Fishing for sticky/10" but then I saw this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggymatrixcounter
*Sticky Please?*

-.-

This does look pretty useful, we'll see how it fares as a sticky, although noobs never read the stickies anyway.

stlunatic0124 11-21-2005 12:33 PM

RE: Re: NOOBS READ: How to get better at FFR

Good thread. Another thing you forgot to mention: AVOID BOOS. It is pointless to practice a song if you are going to just button mash the hard parts. Work on concentrating really hard and practice reading the steps.

super-smashman 11-21-2005 01:30 PM

OH COME ON!

This get's stickied and my awesome guide doesn't!

Since Fish is the only mod who seems to be paying attention, do the right thing.

PS: Not implying that this guide is bad, in fact I was going to make something like this but never got around to it. Gj doing it though.

iggymatrixcounter 11-21-2005 01:42 PM

Your guide was very useful, and I've read it a couple times myself. But it's more for people who know what they're talking about. I made this just as a general thing so new players would have an idea of how to get better. (AND I'm tired of the "How do I play like [insert top 10 player here]?!?!?!111 " threads.)

super-smashman 11-21-2005 01:47 PM

Are you kidding me? I've seen this so many times:

Thread: ????

Post: I wuz playing FFR @ my friends house and he uses both of his hands i waz wondering if any1 else uses 2 hands or is it jsut my firend?

iggymatrixcounter 11-21-2005 02:04 PM

rofl, yea me too. But not as many as I used to. I mean as I speak someone has already posted a thread on "How do I get better?".......ghey

Bodom13 11-21-2005 02:41 PM

Nice Thanks :D

Paper07 11-21-2005 02:58 PM

Hey

HI I LOVE FFR LOL

RealLife 11-26-2005 02:32 PM

RE: Hey

HOLY SHIT.

I'm playing stepmania 8 months or smt. but I totally sucked at FFR. And then I mean... very HARD. Untill I read that 1st trick, setting your screen halfway.

I just FC some very challenging stuff and easely went through the for masters only ones. This game became 1000x easier. No joke.

FluorescentArmy 11-29-2005 02:33 PM

Wow those tips helped me alot. Thx to all who composed it.

iggymatrixcounter 11-30-2005 12:18 PM

I stole the first idea from other better players that told it to me. Everything else (except the advice from others.) was written by myself.

Remeber if you have anything you want to add to help others. I'll try to get it in here if I feel that it hasn't been discussed.

SaveSaya 11-30-2005 01:28 PM

The first trick on there... i feel really cheap when I use it. Without using the trick, songs like breaking the common are harder than uber rave with that trick. @_@ Feels almostl ike im cheatign *_*

igotrhythm 11-30-2005 01:54 PM

Actually, I tried that first trick, and it doesn't seem to work for me. I think it's because I rely more on pattern recognition than lightning-fast reflexes (as most of you know, I have no speed whatsoever). Different strokes, I guess.

killacrip 12-3-2005 08:09 AM

how come in tha nu one its in like japanes or summit, i cnt read the speed etc.

iggymatrixcounter 12-3-2005 02:24 PM

Re: RE: Hey

Quote:

Originally Posted by killacrip
how come in tha nu one its in like japanes or summit, i cnt read the speed etc.

uu Tee-eeF mite?

Oh wait that's right on this forum the primary language is english not newbian. (or maybe noobanese?)

Faux11 12-3-2005 08:02 PM

Hey, you probably already herad this a bunch of times but thanks. When i first started playing this game i sucked big time. But i did that little half screen trick and it helped mor than i could imagine. I mean i'm not mastering anything yet and i'm still on the easy songs, but i'm getting there. Thanks.

iggymatrixcounter 12-3-2005 09:34 PM

Glad I could be of service.

chickendude 12-5-2005 07:39 PM

Re: RE: Hey

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotrhythm
Actually, I tried that first trick, and it doesn't seem to work for me. I think it's because I rely more on pattern recognition than lightning-fast reflexes (as most of you know, I have no speed whatsoever). Different strokes, I guess.

is this why you don't like fast songs?

MrGiggles 12-5-2005 10:26 PM

RE: Re: RE: Hey

Don't forget I'm still a n00blet.

What is this C300 I always hear about? And C560 and all those other things.
I think I understand the gist of it, but how do I change it and what does it do?

igotrhythm 12-7-2005 03:43 PM

Well, C followed by a certain number measures the rate at which the arrows scroll across the screen. The higher the number, the faster the scrolling. FFR R1 has the scroll rate fixed at C300, so no, you can't change it.

As for Chickendude's comment: Yeah, pretty much. Still can't read C700 the way I can when it's in the 500-650 range. My accuracy on the 16th streams in Grind Me To Dust Heavy has skyrocketed, though I still can't combo the "jumping jacks" in the middle of Disconnected Hazard Standard. It's very weird. <_<

DevorteMasterNum1 12-9-2005 08:59 PM

Wow, I just tried scrolling up the screen, and it helped a lot! Thanks for the tips.

stanli121 12-14-2005 06:08 PM

When you mean scrolling up the screen, do u mean to like only see half of the playing screen. Maybe i'm not understanding but i playb with the arrows at the top and i can't scroll up any higher? i know i am a n00b, but I dont really understand. Sorry i am so dum.

iggymatrixcounter 12-19-2005 01:47 AM

I've seen some screen setups where you can't really do what I'm talking about. But picture your screen as you look at it. (with the arrows scrolling up.) Then move your screen up so you only see half of what you previously saw. If you have a certain resolution it won't be possible, but just bring the whole window down and it has the same effect.

ZhugeLiang0 12-19-2005 08:41 PM

OMG, thanks for that advice with cutting the screen in half. I've been playing for a little bit more than a year now. It improves me so much now! The Thinking Different song seems much easier, I just need to play it a few times before I combo a lot more. I tried out the Silence song (which I used to think was one of the hardest songs) and I was doing that pretty well! I usually just press whatever to survive, but I was actually comboing on that! Thanks for that tip.

Moggi 12-21-2005 05:35 AM

GJ with the guide iggy! :)
I almost never play with the screen scrolled down.. i play with sudden instead.. bt that's a minus on courses with backgrounds -_-

brpffr93 12-23-2005 05:50 PM

thx for the advice but most people should know that to get better you need to practice, I, meen come on no one should have to be told to practice :shock: bye. FROM BRP

iggymatrixcounter 12-24-2005 06:41 PM

Yea well surprisingly, I've read a lot of "Hey guyz how do i get bettr?" threads. Like there's some super secret to the whole thing.

Sangyo 01-7-2006 10:34 PM

Thanks it helped

Shopowner200 01-14-2006 03:14 PM

The three best songs to practice

1). Euphoria: First song I ever AAA'ed. Really easy, good speed. A good song for new players
2). Libertine: Also Ridculously easy considering it is "challenging"I have not AAA'd this one yet...
3). Party 4u (Holy nite mix): Defenitely very challenging. If you practiced the last 2, it will be much easier. But the background screws up most people, and the step still is a challenge.

miszpeekab0o 01-20-2006 06:20 PM

That's awesome! Thanks for the help! :)

nickster1271 02-10-2006 12:20 AM

hey, im nick. I'm kind of a newbie at FFR but i tried all sorts of weird stuff like it such as hand DDR. the most outrageous DDR version I've seen or maybe even in general was toe DDR. I mean, OMG!

igotrhythm 02-12-2006 02:22 PM

I suggest you practice until you get good enough to accomplish what you want on it and come back later. The other technique is called "whoring" and is usually reserved for when you're close to accomplishing a goal on that level.

By the way, scrolling the screen up doesn't seem to help me do better, either. XP

iggymatrixcounter 02-14-2006 02:35 PM

For some people scrolling up hurts them, but to me that only means that they are bringing it up too high. Try scrolling it down a little, the idea is to get a certain "Percentage" of arrows on the screen that you can see and not have them fly by you. (In another word: BALANCE)

Shashakiro 02-27-2006 09:20 PM

Re: How to get better at FFR

I think I'm one of the few people who discovered the screen-shrink trick on my own, rather than learning it from someone else. Heh.

I'd suggest not playing the same song over and over. It gets boring really fast. Variety is good. =)

Uaiiko 02-28-2006 06:42 PM

I've been using some stradegys since the start.
And I didn't know some of them too, so it would be really useful.

someonenotveryspecial 03-1-2006 10:19 AM

ok, im sorta new at this game, and i am somewhat a button masher at times, but i still have a question. is reall bad to play using one-hand or two-hand, cause really, i've been playing 1 hand my whole life, and my bigger bro plays 2-handed, and i don't know, which one is better?

iggymatrixcounter 03-1-2006 10:45 AM

2, but there are other threads that discuss why.

Touka 04-13-2006 01:06 PM

Much Thanks

JLoAct 04-26-2006 11:52 PM

i don't see why 2 hands is better, i tried it for 2 days and i really stunk. One hand gets my muscles all weird though, but now i can beat level 4 people on multiplayer, where do u find why 2 hands is better?

chiefr1 04-29-2006 12:25 AM

cause u can get to the keys alot faster...lets say u have 2 arrows but they r the up and down keys its harder with 2hands if ur playing a hard song

JLoAct 05-1-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefr1
cause u can get to the keys alot faster...lets say u have 2 arrows but they r the up and down keys its harder with 2hands if ur playing a hard song

I don't understand, do u mean 2 hands or one hand, because ur telling me that 2 hands is better, but it's harder to do the up and down keys at the same time(that's when i add on my thumb to the game, try it, it works).

chiefr1 05-1-2006 10:55 PM

i meant its harder to do the same time hits with 1 hand and easier with 2

DarkManticoreX2 05-2-2006 03:17 AM

First of all I just wanna say look in some other threads to find specific topics on 1 hand vs two hand. There are bonuses to each and each person has their own playstyle. It all depends on what fits you best. I am sure someone has a guide to playstyles and what spread, etc.. are. If someone could post the link that would be excellent.

On other matters. Iggy very nice thread this should drastically help the newbies who are looking to get better. I would add though If you want to become more accurate in your timing take some time from FFR and go download STEPMANIA from:

http://www.stepmania.com

This will help you in the long term if your aim is to become better professionally. because it will increase you accuracy and overall speed and strength if you play the right songs.

Suzuru 05-2-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLoAct
i don't see why 2 hands is better, i tried it for 2 days and i really stunk. One hand gets my muscles all weird though, but now i can beat level 4 people on multiplayer, where do u find why 2 hands is better?

2 days is nothing, you need at least week or 2 for your brain to adjust to new style. Ofcourse you'd stink at start, we all did when we started.

SoggyWaffulz 05-2-2006 02:43 PM

You will suck very bad at the begining of converting from one hand to two handed, but after the fact, you will see for yourself why it is better.

You have 4 fingers, not 3.
You can read the arrow keys better and hit buttons faster.
And there's less stress on your hands.

DarkManticoreX2 05-2-2006 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoggyWaffulz

Reading the notes of the song has nothing to do with one handed or two handed. Its based more on reflexes and hand eye co-ordination

SoggyWaffulz 05-2-2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkManticoreX2
Reading the notes of the song has nothing to do with one handed or two handed. Its based more on reflexes and hand eye co-ordination

That might be true for you. But for me, I can't read the keys and be coordinated with one hand anymore. As in, I can only read keys good while using two hands or else it just doesn't feel right.

DarkManticoreX2 05-2-2006 07:36 PM

meh, its whatever works for you i guess

JLoAct 05-2-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoggyWaffulz
You will suck very bad at the begining of converting from one hand to two handed, but after the fact, you will see for yourself why it is better.

You have 4 fingers, not 3.
And there's less stress on your hands.

Actually, use my thumb sometimes with my right hand while doing one-handed, and it works likes it's another middle finger. And you guys are right, i'v finally finished a difficult level with 2 hands, and i sorta see why it's better now, but i'll stick with one hand in challenges for a while, thanx!!!

chiefr1 05-2-2006 11:27 PM

i say do whatever works for u cause my friend he plays with 1 hand just like u and he seems to do just fine

mizzfrizz77 05-3-2006 10:44 AM

wow thnx, I'll try it but i still think I'll suck heehee. I got a full combo already i think. . . .. .

Suzuru 05-3-2006 02:33 PM

What they are trying to say, there is a limit ceiling for 1 handers that is much lower compared to 2 hand ceiling.

AasumDude 05-3-2006 04:44 PM

How to get better at FFR? Play Beethoven/4FT3RM3 a total of 1000 times. Seriously.

chiefr1 05-3-2006 06:48 PM

really? thats a way to get better? all i do is play the harder songs

reallygoodatffr 05-3-2006 07:00 PM

he says that so noone trys harder songs, gets, better, beats him, he crys...no offense lol

chiefr1 05-3-2006 08:59 PM

none taken and i dont cry and i dont care if people beat me

AcousticSpade 05-20-2006 06:47 AM

the way i got better is just work up and up slowly

ive played 1800 songs approximately and play harder songs like silence and gradeus just fine, ive been playing them since i hit the 800 song mark i play with 2 hands and i started playing songs like life goes on, burnout, secret zombie room and breaking the common, they are fast and relatively simple...just will is an awesome song too...then i moved up to for ffr, noir remix and some songs i bought

TK_Killer 05-20-2006 08:42 AM

the only way you can really get better..is to practice.

IAAW 05-20-2006 09:31 AM

And to find a style that you can work exceptionally well with... like Index.

vexestry 05-20-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK_Killer

true dat
you shouldnt stress yourself if you cant fc gradeus rofl
it is one of the hardest songs on ffr
p.s. you indexers omfg you are too good rofl
i can only fc the difficult to down on index rofl
the key to getting better accuracy is to take a song you've fced...
and try to get only goods and greats...and then all greats.....
shizzamzill
p.s. you'll notice cause you will only have a few boos and averages :P

vexestry 05-20-2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticSpade
the way i got better is just work up and up slowly

ive played 1800 songs approximately and play harder songs like silence and gradeus just fine, ive been playing them since i hit the 800 song mark i play with 2 hands and i started playing songs like life goes on, burnout, secret zombie room and breaking the common, they are fast and relatively simple...just will is an awesome song too...then i moved up to for ffr, noir remix and some songs i bought

p.s. pic. of your scores on silence and gradeus plz///

vexestry 05-20-2006 11:17 AM

<<<<<<triple posting whore

vexestry 05-20-2006 11:26 AM

p.s. screenshrinking is the absolute best thing that has helped me on ffr so far.
too bad i found out about it like a month ago rofl
:P
is it true that down arrows are better?
i thought down arrows were minority?
i play down but the majority of high scores are up
hmmmm

vexestry 05-20-2006 11:27 AM

cinco post
omg
post whore

IAAW 05-20-2006 11:39 AM

Um.

Nice quintiple post vexestry. Anyways, down arrows are better for people who haven't played DDR. People who have will be used to having the arrows go up.

vexestry 05-20-2006 02:47 PM

rofl ty

iggymatrixcounter 05-24-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK_Killer

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggymatrixcounter page 1
First and foremost: PRACTICE!!!!!! this cannot be stressed enough. How do you get better at football? How do you master the gameplay of chess? How does one become a rocket scientist? You practice the trade and learn about what you want to get good at.

Hmmmmm, should I throw caution in the air and mock the newb?????

Meh I'm satisfied with this.

Hatensuffering 05-26-2006 07:34 PM

Actually, it's the matter of memorizing the Pattern. Every song has its pattern. One's done correctly you should have the pleasure of seeking it again and trying it over. Basically having fun.

Hatensuffering 05-26-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefr1
none taken and i dont cry and i dont care if people beat me

Instead of you being called Kakashi....your more like Naruto. I prefer Naruto. It's better to practice with stronger people and the tops post you just said "Play The Harder Song".

vexestry 05-26-2006 09:19 PM

die topic die
/////

RedStarRising 05-27-2006 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexestry
die topic die
/////

It won't die, numbnuts as it was stickied a long time ago. vexestry, I'm sorry but you are an absolute moron. This is a very useful thread but you are gaying it to hell. Also, stop with the double/triple/quadruple/quintiple posting. It's pretty sad that a newbie like me has to tell you this...

vexestry 05-27-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedStarRising
It won't die, numbnuts as it was stickied a long time ago. vexestry, I'm sorry but you are an absolute moron. This is a very useful thread but you are gaying it to hell. Also, stop with the double/triple/quadruple/quintiple posting. It's pretty sad that a newbie like me has to tell you this...

whorey slut
go fornicate with goats
my quintuple posts were very good info
your a dumb slut that cant even pass trip to the moon
omg
whore

Linkisdoomed 05-27-2006 10:46 AM

My suggestion: don't just play once with one finger style and keep playing that way. I'm stuck with one hand and I don't want to transfer to 2 handed methods because I'm gonna suck at it for a while. Test yourself for a while on different styles of playing.

-Link