Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Batch Forum (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116884)

justin_ator 10-17-2011 10:17 AM

Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submission Closed)

Urgh, expect it next batch (obv after hard songs batch).

One Winged Angel 10-17-2011 10:40 AM

I was scouring this thread for like half an hour to find the batch notes before realizing they're posted in a separate thread, oops

But I saw AJ's post and shed a tear :')
lol I can't believe that dump is going to end up in-game

TC_Halogen 10-17-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00Razor00 (Post 3552467)
Mfw the only vocal part I stepped in my chart was the "break it down" part which lasts like what? Not even 2 seconds? So I really have no idea what you're on about, AJ, lol.

Appreciate the notes, almost had borderline x) 10/20.

Not too many points were taken off on all of those minor layering mentions because I wasn't sure about them. The biggest point choppers were the incorrect offset for the first half, and the misrhythms/missing notes for drums that you had (because looking at your layering scheme, I was fairly certain you were following drums). It looked like you were following vocals at some points of the song, so I decided to list those too, just to be safe.

leonid 10-17-2011 11:07 AM

offset can be readjusted after the chart goes in-game. It shouldn't be a huge point chopper

<-- Chopping points off

who_cares973 10-17-2011 11:48 AM

points should still be deducted for wrong offset

qqwref 10-17-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 3552435)
P.S. About the first 3 jumps in Rainbow Road... I went Red-Yellow-Green because that's the color of Lakitu's start lights that go to that sound. Nobody picked up on that, oh well. I thought I was being clever >_>

Nah, I noticed it :p

Let's see... my files got
4/5/5 = 14
4/5/5 = 14
3/4/4 = 11
3/4/4 = 11
So I guess that's 2 of 4 accepted (both the collabs lol).

Quote:

Originally Posted by who_cares973 (Post 3552549)
points should still be deducted for wrong offset

I don't see the point of this; we're judging what charts should be converted for FFR, not what charts will be copied into a Stepmania pack folder. I think we should all assume that stuff like two-second silence and improper offsets will be fixed before the song goes into the game, which means it doesn't affect the quality of the ending file at all.

TC_Halogen 10-17-2011 12:09 PM

yeah, but it also shouldn't be the responsibility of the judges sit there and adjust for an incorrect offset. Sorry, but I second that. Besides, it says it right on the front of the thread.
Quote:

and has been confirmed to be on sync on a low music rate.

This is for ichliebekase -- she PM'd me about certain things and I couldn't fit it all back in a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichliebekase
There were a few things I wanted to ask you about or clarify to you concerning the notes. Some things I understood and some I didn't :P

- 8.821: it's very clear what that goes to, but you only accent it here - it might be better for you to just ignore it
~Reason why I did this one above any others is because it's significantly louder than any others.
-> the thing with this is that, it stands out as an awkwardly placed accent because that filtered bass is really hard to hear except for that single note. A colored note accent could work better because it doesn't disrupt the otherwise smooth flow of your introduction.

- 9.464: melody cutoff is really abrupt...
~Fixed, the new melody line now starts at the next measure, but it sort of feels awkward. Should I start it instead at 9.89s and get rid of the 16th at 10s?
-> you could have the 16th triplets run all the way up to the quarter at 10.964 (8th note), or 10.106 (also an 8th note). Both of these seem to make smoother transitions.

- 11.606: you started following pitch relevancy for a moment, but it doesn't work out well as it goes on - pay a bit more attention to the structure of the melody
~I actually wasn't following PR here. I almost didn't want to because it's the same thing throughout the entire song which would have made it flat out boring. Suggestion for a compromise?
-> when I mention to add pitch relevancy to a section, I don't always intend on telling a simfile artist to do it to their whole song, especially for a song like this; you're aware that the melody goes on for a while. You can have patterns vary around a bit, just so as long as they look like they ascend/descend in proper spots. Not a big deal.

- 20.178: try to make it clear which jumps are following the bass hit + synth melody layering and those that are following the really hard cymbal crashes (you see how you have two L/R jumps here for two different things?)
~So you're saying to make the one of the jumps a different set of arrows, not to get rid of it, right?
-> Yes. If you have a [L/R] accenting something, then don't use that same thing to accent something else, because you're essentially nullifying your first accent this way.
- 20.606: there should be some notes representing the synth melody alongside of the cymbal crashes (although, it seems intentionally omitted, no penalty here)
- 21.678: the note I gave you for the layering + cymbal crashes also holds true for the bass/synth melodies -- try to separate them for more relevance
~So you're saying for these things that I should try to keep the jumps for primarily either the cymbal or the bass, not both, right? Starting at m12 (18.89s) and continue from there in that section?
-> The first part of this note suggests a possible addition to your layering by accounting for the cymbals while using single notes to capture your synth melody, rather than stopping it. Both usages would be perfectly acceptable here - the former for relevance, the latter for difficulty control.
-> The second part of this note ties into the previous note. I mentioned that you should make different accents different arrows. This holds true to your synth repeats and your bass repeats. The area that I pointed out to you has the synth and the bass representing the down arrow for the repeats -- change one of them so that they each have their own respective accents (this way, it doesn't look like a particular instrument is repeating itself).

- 30.892 to 44.178: being that you're not layering anything on top of anything else, it's better to just ignore the repeated quarter notes for the bass drum and add pitch relevance to the synth melody (I would say layer in kicks but that screws your chart progression); this area seems fairly dull at the moment
~There's not much you can do with it except PR then change it up every measure but then it'd get boring and the jacks would be on the same arrow and get tiring. Unless I mirrored/turned left/turned right each time to change it.
-> This also goes back to doing derivatives of pitch relevancy. Lay it out as it should be, then mirror it, flip it left, flip it right, etc. This would stand as a call-and-response method, which is pretty nice looking visually. Alternatively, you could change pitch relevancy schemes altogether by shifting your relevance over one column/two columns/etc. Another thing you can do is add pitch relevancy to the 8th note part of the melodies and leave the area with the mini-jacks alone. There's a lot of things that can be done to make this part interesting!

- 43.964: this jump seems really awkwardly placed
~That is the same pattern that always messes with hi19 whenever he plays my files. For some reason or another, I love that pattern. I don't know why. As far as it being properly place in this spot, I agree that it really sort of isn't, but I'd hate to remove it for the sake of messing with hi19 :twisted: naw but seriously.
-> haha, well - it's not wrong alone. Perhaps you could add the other two jumps on the 8th/4th? Meh.

- 44.606 to 58.321: layering here is actually pretty strong, nice work
~One of my more favorite parts, thank you :]

- 78.892: 1/2 BPM cut makes this area seem like it's YNS
~I don't know what you mean by YNS :/
-> YNS = yellow note syndrome. You're giving this chart an appearance of being off by 1/16th of a note, because the overall structure of the song doesn't change from before -- yes, you're lacking a bass drum/percussion line, but you were lacking the same thing in the section immediately before this, yet the BPM was still 140. This isn't a huge deal, just moreso of an aesthetic thing.

- 85.749 to 99.464: the idea behind this structure is interesting - I like that you only PR the last note simply because it's the easiest one to accent. I also noticed that you reversed the PR in the second half.
~Another part where I didn't even mean to do it xD I guess I got lucky.
-> nice subconscious thinking! Checl the PR on the last notes - you can leave all of the other notes alone, but make sure the last note lands on the appropriate note for relevancy sake. There are a few slightly confusing spots to me.

- 92.499: no need for this jump to be here.
~Removed, I had debated against myself removing it before or not but I left it to keep the jumps going. I just changed it to be a [14] jump to a [23] jump to a 4 instead of it being [23] [14]. It looks nicer IMO but if it feels awkward then I might change it back.
-> yeah, it's just a ghosted jump at this point; probably better removed.

- 99.464: from here, the background percussion line dies down; adding jumps here is somewhat awkward - you might be able to add jumps before this, though
~The jumps go to the claps, the only sort of "percussion" persay that is being played at the time. Since the sound is different than the normal melody throughout the song, that's why I started it here and not earlier on.
-> When I'm mentioning percussion, I'm typically talking about the whole line of instruments that fill in the background of the song; your bass drum, snare, hi-hat, clap, whatever. The clap that you are following this section actually does exist in the section before this, it's just somewhat masked by the bass-drum/hats/etc. It's not a big deal, but it was something that definitely irked me quite a bit.

- 102.862: hit those cymbal crashes spread out from here to the end of this section -- they'll help boost this section a bit in variation
~What cymbal crashes? All I hear is bass and claps throughout this part. Unless you perceive them as cymbals (I dunno, I just think of them as claps because that's what they sound more like).
-> 102.892, 103.214, 103.535, 106.321, 106.642, 106.964, 109.749, 110.606, 111.464, 111.892 (you have this one stepped), 112.321 - these are all hard hits in the middle of a somewhat calmer section. Putting these in will give this section a bit more intensity, and it'll be memorable for newer players especially because it'll more than likely be the most layered part of the song, which is fitting considering the last part of the song is fairly calm.

- 113.178 to 126.892: relevance in pitch seems like it's being attempted, but it's only being done partially - possibly in an effort to add variation? This area also seems somewhat empty, even for an outro.
~I wouldn't know what to do because there's really nothing you can do. There's hardly a percussion line in the ending and otherwise it's all repeated melody.
-> Hmmm... the one thing that I see somewhat fitting for this ending is the repeating three note melody in the background; while this doesn't change at all, the last section is rather short. Otherwise, yeah, there's not too much to be done about this. Actually, looking at this section again - it's not too bad anyway.

iironiic 10-17-2011 12:13 PM

Fixed Amen Iraq. I'll send it once I fix Obscene. Obscene is going to take a while to fix though since there are too many minor errors for me to fix with a few hours of sleep just because I was anxious to see the batch notes haha. I'll get around to it eventually haha.

ninjaKIWI 10-17-2011 02:16 PM

I'd like to point out that the first file I ever stepped got accepted pce

Nullifidian 10-17-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI (Post 3552584)

woker-X 10-17-2011 02:56 PM

I got 15/15 on my 2 files!!!... yay :3

ninjaKIWI 10-17-2011 03:35 PM

Just to clarify, I wont be able to submit Mutant Sixty Four as a resubmission next batch because of the hard batch, right?

Ziergdsx18 10-17-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI (Post 3552584)

Born a pr0. :'3

Darkbreezee 10-17-2011 04:46 PM

:(

Choofers 10-17-2011 04:50 PM

I'll send fixes in a little bit. I'm just glad y'all enjoyed the 32nd wall lmao.

Coolboyrulez0 10-17-2011 05:09 PM

:o

13/15
14/15

Could it be that rage-quitting stepping was a bad decision?
I'm quite happy at the moment to say the least, we'll see what the future holds for more files of mine.

Reshiram 10-17-2011 06:10 PM

Everything got a 10/15...

Well, I guess that's gotta be a sign that I'm getting better, but still have work to do before I hit the big time.

Rebirth0 10-17-2011 09:24 PM

Fleeting Fantasy: 8/15
Comments: You guys should obviously know this was meant to be an old school retard stream simfile to smash in as many points possible in the shortest time. If something like Vertex Beta got accepted then this is no different. Not going to change anything, because I just wanted to see what happened

Liberate: 15/15
Comments: best I could do with the repetitive song. I understand it would be better if it was cut but I'm not cutting it. If it was worth cutting, I would have cut it before sending it in. No matter though because its accepted

Try To Star: 13/15
Comments: lmao why is this 13/15 while Liberate is 15/15 this is infinitely better. This is more a simfile of my recent works. Even though I still made this two years ago.

Also, the gap issues were my fault. I added two seconds to two songs and didn't fix the gap. Forgot. Sorry, etc.

I will take a look at some of the things mentioned in the files but I'm not sure if I'm doing any fixing. Its possible. I typically get my point out with my first submission, and I usually don't like to change my files so you get what you get. But I'll take a look and we'll see

hi19hi19 10-17-2011 09:46 PM

I'd bet strongly Vertex Beta wouldn't get in past today's judges.

Despite the fact it seems to be a lot of people's favorite song and file, and shows up in the most played daily list frequently. But it's not tEcHnIcAL so it would get slammed by the judges today, as you can see.

MarioNintendo 10-17-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 3552820)
I'd bet strongly Vertex Beta wouldn't get in past today's judges.

Despite the fact it seems to be a lot of people's favorite song and file, and shows up in the most played daily list frequently. But it's not tEcHnIcAL so it would get slammed by the judges today, as you can see.

I often think about that myself. Would songs like RATO and Death Piano be accepted today? Or even that classic Excite Bike... Not so sure. What's ironic is that people play them a lot to this day.

I guess this has to do with our more modern take on stepping.