Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   A word of advice for new college students (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=140649)

Mahou 01-26-2015 10:17 AM

A word of advice for new college students

If you're attending college for the first time, I'm very happy that you're beginning your long journey of knowledge and education; however, when you're in the library, please do me one favor if you're visiting your friends from school. Please, for the love of God, learn how to...
Shut the FUCK UP!

I usually prefer studying at home, but since I usually have 2-3 classes on Monday, I have to put myself in the library they provided for the school. Nobody fucking cares about your Instagram. Nobody fucking cares about your Facebook statuses and how many likes you get on a daily basis. Nobody fucking cares if you're trying to get into Youtube videos. This isn't a place to pick up girls either. It's a place to study. And for fucks sake, if you get a phone call, GO AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSE! It amazes me how many people at this campus have no common courtesy.

This has been a public service announcement from Mahou. Thanks.

choof 01-26-2015 10:25 AM

Re: A word of advice for new college students

not sure how many people on ffr this thread applies to
does anyone on ffr even have an unironic instagram

Trumpet63 01-26-2015 10:49 AM

Funny story, I once had to ask a guy to not use his blender in the library, for the sake of the other students.

Mahou 01-26-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choof (Post 4267700)
not sure how many people on ffr this thread applies to
does anyone on ffr even have an unironic instagram

Ironically, I have a instagram. I just don't give a shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumpet63 (Post 4267703)
Funny story, I once had to ask a guy to not use his blender in the library, for the sake of the other students.

I'm still waiting for this to happen so I can elbow that person in the mouth.

RB_Spirit 01-26-2015 11:02 AM

Yessir

andy-o24 01-26-2015 11:18 AM

How big is your library?

-o24

Charu 01-26-2015 11:39 AM

See, in my library, telling people to STFU is impossible sometimes because they're a bunch of kids that are only there to fuck around (Also location).

We have a rule saying to STFU, but we sort of don't enforce it unless someone is really being an obnoxious douchebag and or a patron comes up to one of us and complains about someone in particular.

Yoooooo, if you legit need to study in the library, tell the librarian and or whoever monitors the lab. It's part of their job description to keep the library in check! Also, try to find study spaces. We got a bunch of spaces in my library where there's a desk but nothing else around but books (to guarantee at least very minimal voices).

hi19hi19 01-26-2015 11:42 AM

At my university there's a long-held tradition during reading week called the "naked donut run"

It's exactly what you expect.

Naked people run through the libraries handing out free donuts to students that are studying.

They're not the kind of people you want to see naked.

The donuts are good though.

hi19hi19 01-26-2015 11:44 AM

Also the school band likes to play in the libraries.

This was during reading period a few years ago. The band tried to bring some festive cheer to the computer lab before finals (also right before Christmas) and...

Mahou I basically imagine you as this guy haha
(also you have a point, don't get me wrong)

Charu 01-26-2015 11:45 AM

Wow, and your university hasn't gotten written up for that? lmao that's pretty amazing.

My library doesn't really have any events like that. We do have a small cafe shop near the entrance though which I guess is something that makes my library unique.

You can imagine that's the only part of the library that gets really loud. Fortunately there's a giant glass door and wall that blocks all the noise from them.

Charu 01-26-2015 11:47 AM

Also, it RARELY happens, but if there's truly no place in my library that has a quiet spot for the person wanting to have some peace, I will suggest going to the third floor since we have way more private desks up there and a room that's meant to just be nothing but doing homework/studying.

hi19hi19 01-26-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charu (Post 4267719)
Wow, and your university hasn't gotten written up for that? lmao that's pretty amazing.

Well, it's pretty tame compared to the things we do actually get written up for.

Check out "Sex Power God" if you want to learn what kind of trouble actually gets us written up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_U...ity_traditions

In 2005 a guy from Fox News attended it and filmed it (without permission) leading to a bit of a scandal when it wound up on Bill O'Reilly's national radio show...
If you Google it you can get a better (and more NSFW...) idea of what it's about ;)

Charu 01-26-2015 11:56 AM

That's still nuts though, heh.

I wonder how the workers feel about a god damn band playing in their library though, haha.

I bet they feel like crud because they can't do anything since it was probably approved by the dean.

rayword45 01-26-2015 12:08 PM

As a High School Student, the only reason to go to the library is to skip study or skip a class with a clueless teacher and fuck around. Nobody ever checks books out, and we tend to type shit at home.

Don't think anyone would use a blender though.

reuben_tate 01-26-2015 12:24 PM

My universities library is divided into three floors. The first two, it's ok to talk and stuff in a typical indoor voice. The third floor however is our "quiet floor" which is typically dead silent most of the time except for an occasional whisper. For the most part, people respect the quiet floor's rule on being quiet, so I have no complaints.

ItsOnlyDanO 01-26-2015 12:28 PM

I would use my universities library but everyone in there is stupidly loud which makes it unbearable

Mahou 01-26-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi19hi19 (Post 4267718)
Also the school band likes to play in the libraries.

This was during reading period a few years ago. The band tried to bring some festive cheer to the computer lab before finals (also right before Christmas) and...

Mahou I basically imagine you as this guy haha
(also you have a point, don't get me wrong)

Holy shit man, you hit the nail on the wood. But today, I didn't retaliate that way because it was two annoying girls who kept talking about how they don't a shit about their classes and the people around them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy-o24 (Post 4267708)
How big is your library?

-o24

The library has 2 floors. One is particularly for just studying and using the computers. The 2nd floor is for passing students since there are classrooms on that floor. Good luck studying up there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charu (Post 4267716)
See, in my library, telling people to STFU is impossible sometimes because they're a bunch of kids that are only there to fuck around (Also location).

We have a rule saying to STFU, but we sort of don't enforce it unless someone is really being an obnoxious douchebag and or a patron comes up to one of us and complains about someone in particular.

Yoooooo, if you legit need to study in the library, tell the librarian and or whoever monitors the lab. It's part of their job description to keep the library in check! Also, try to find study spaces. We got a bunch of spaces in my library where there's a desk but nothing else around but books (to guarantee at least very minimal voices).

Granted that I had to go to my next class at 11, I only had about 30 minutes so I didn't have to get to that level; however, I did tell them to shut the fuck up.

Wayward Vagabond 01-26-2015 01:03 PM

our library house sound proof rooms that you can schedule to use for small group discussions and then theres a huge area on one half of the bottom floor that has study desks. that half of the library is almost quiet since each desk is closed off so you can't talk to the people around you. the only sound you might hear is keyboard clicks. its separated by a wall that prevents most sound from going to that half. the other half of the bottom floor is books and an open study area that hardly ever gets above low inside voices. its a nice library

kmay 01-26-2015 02:06 PM

or you could get a study room. most libraries have them.

Charu 01-26-2015 02:14 PM

Speaking of libraries, OFF I GO TO ANOTHER DAY AT THE LIBRARY!

Library stuff!