Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR Batch Forum (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116884)

HeZe 02-2-2016 01:35 AM

Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 [Regular batch: OPEN]

The public judging system has been on for less than a week, and the total number of sets judged is 29 so far. I think that it's a rather good speed, so no worries at all. More people will start judging, I'm sure.

Suggestion: I see that at least some of the sets have been roughly sorted by difficulty. Could each set have a short title telling the diff range of the files? Like 'easy', 'moderate' etc. We could direct new judges to judge more songs in their own comfort zone = potentially more judges and more accurate reviews

psychoangel691 02-2-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeZe (Post 4403219)
The public judging system has been on for less than a week, and the total number of sets judged is 29 so far. I think that it's a rather good speed, so no worries at all. More people will start judging, I'm sure.

Suggestion: I see that at least some of the sets have been roughly sorted by difficulty. Could each set have a short title telling the diff range of the files? Like 'easy', 'moderate' etc. We could direct new judges to judge more songs in their own comfort zone = potentially more judges and more accurate reviews

The point was the number of people reviewing not how many had been reviewed. Makes a pretty big difference to have the opinion of several different people rather than the same 4 over and over again (that's not saying I don't appreciate those who are doing it btw). And you can't actually say the number of sets judged so far is 29 when they're not to the point of final approval.

The only set I was remotely able to do that with was the January set, it's also grouped by simfile author so they can avoid the sets with their files in it. My original plan was for them to be difficulty and labeled as such, but most of the sets don't have that option because a lot of people step harder files.

HeZe 02-2-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychoangel691 (Post 4403236)
The point was the number of people reviewing not how many had been reviewed. Makes a pretty big difference to have the opinion of several different people rather than the same 4 over and over again (that's not saying I don't appreciate those who are doing it btw). And you can't actually say the number of sets judged so far is 29 when they're not to the point of final approval.

The only set I was remotely able to do that with was the January set, it's also grouped by simfile author so they can avoid the sets with their files in it. My original plan was for them to be difficulty and labeled as such, but most of the sets don't have that option because a lot of people step harder files.

I wouldn't worry about the amount of people judging files yet. This is still a new concept and it's been quiet lately anyway. It takes some time for people to hear about this.

psychoangel691 02-2-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeZe (Post 4403219)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeZe (Post 4403237)
I wouldn't worry about the amount of people judging files yet. This is still a new concept and it's been quiet lately anyway. It takes some time for people to hear about this.

This is the exact mentality that allows these things to just fizzle out and die. It's basically "oh well it's only been a little time lets just sit back and see what happens" rather than try to make sure it goes in the right direction. The reaction should be "Hey yeah! Let's work together and get this stuff going!" Reach out to FFR friends, make sure they know there's a new public judgement system, see if they will judge the sets your files are in, etc.

I've been pushing for a public system for a long time and personally I don't want to end up seeing "oh well it didn't work lets try to get some judges again"

I've also seen how many people have lurked that forum since it's creation, there are plenty people who are aware of it.

Red Blaster 02-2-2016 08:42 AM

Glad you edited your post.

On topic: I think the thing with this is most of us that aren't currently associated with the stepfile process already don't really have too much to offer in the way of actual useful feedback. Would you rather have 4 people who know what they're doing or 100 people giving completely useless input?

I'd help but at my skill level the only files I could accurately give input on would be the 1-30 range and even then, not really knowing anything about this process, the information I could give would probably be absolutely pointless and a detriment to the process at the end of the day.

psychoangel691 02-2-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Blaster (Post 4403240)

On topic: I think the thing with this is most of us that aren't currently associated with the stepfile process already don't really have too much to offer in the way of actual useful feedback. Would you rather have 4 people who know what they're doing or 100 people giving completely useless input?

I'd help but at my skill level the only files I could accurately give input on would be the 1-30 range and even then, not really knowing anything about this process, the information I could give would probably be absolutely pointless and a detriment to the process at the end of the day.

I didn't edit my post I deleted the first one and really there was no reason to bring that up in your post.

Heze isn't super familiar with the process, yet he's been in there giving input on files. The point of a public system is to get the community involved regardless of experience. This is a chance to have your voice heard about what you like and dislike, don't throw that opportunity away.
Maybe you should go take a look at the reviews that have been given so far. Most of them are not some real extensive review like you'd see from a judge. We also have it setup to where it needs a judge's final approval before a file is accepted, that way everyone's comments get looked over and considered but nothing should get pushed in that absolutely doesn't belong.

HeZe 02-2-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Well I don't basically have any idea what I'm doing when I'm judging... :D

Judging is just looking at the file and using your experience as a player. If something feels odd, have a closer look and report what you found. I'd suggest you to have a look at Jan/Feb 2015 set 5. All but one in that set are around difficulty range 30.

TC_Halogen 02-2-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

While your point is viable and quite sensible with regards to those who don't have a large amount of experience, there is one very important take home that you and everyone else should gather here: player opinions are now somewhat being taken into account in a situation where judges have the final say. There's now a potentially intermediary process between players and judges, where the players get to highlight files that they think are worthy of the game and have their word actually heard this time. This new system benefits you, because the process of having judges is no different than how the system used to be. You guys are the ones who can help make a difference.

Now, it goes without saying that this doesn't give players the opportunity to play games of bias and favoritism, as there is still a quality assurance put in place by actual judge. However, you guys have some power, as your ratings actually do matter and can help assist files that may be just below the line of acceptance in an actual judgment situation. Between having a public system for users to vote on, a judgment group responsible for quality assurance, an appellate system, and a situation that gets a secondary judge to identify a content's quality in edge cases, everyone has a respectable amount of power to influence the game content, so long as they do it responsibly.

Deidara837 02-2-2016 01:57 PM

Aside from some files whose charts/stepartists I recognize, I haven't really gone through the sets yet due to time constraints arising from a heavy college load. If I do get the chance however, I'd be willing to go through a few sets (there are a ton though haha)

psychoangel691 02-2-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deidara837 (Post 4403292)
Aside from some files whose charts/stepartists I recognize, I haven't really gone through the sets yet due to time constraints arising from a heavy college load. If I do get the chance however, I'd be willing to go through a few sets (there are a ton though haha)

Not everyone has to go through every set, that's kinda the beauty of this.

SKG_Scintill 02-2-2016 02:31 PM

I am doing exactly what you're saying: lurking
scold me if you so desire, but I'm checking if this is worth joining

t-rogdor 02-2-2016 02:46 PM

what's uhhhh goin on with the hard songs batch now though
is that gettin publicly judged or are we still waiting on secondary notes

One Winged Angel 02-2-2016 03:26 PM

public notes for hard batch would probably provide fantastic reading material but afaik I don't think that batch is going to be up for public review

dw rog I dunked a lot of files but grind4 wasn't one of them (idk if you had anything else though)

t-rogdor 02-2-2016 03:43 PM

oh i'm not worried lol (good to know tho), just haven't heard anything about it in a couple of weeks and was starting to get worried it'd been forgotten about. all good.

i don't think public notes for it would be necessary but at the same time god would i love to read them

psychoangel691 02-2-2016 03:57 PM

I believe we're leaving the special batches as they are. I know we definitely will not release the OT batch.

With that said, it's been really hectic overall getting the progress done on all this. I believe AJ was being recruited to do some of the hard songs stuff but he's also been on the OT batch with me. There's very few people that are doing judging right now and we are trying our very best to get everything caught up for you guys. I'm hoping with the public system in place that this will be something that can be resolved faster.

On another note I messaged everyone listed in the judges group to see if any of them were available to help out (I didn't message the ones who were already recently judging), to try to completely finish up this Nov batch and make sure we have people to give the final say with the public stuff. Once I hear back I'll let you guys know who all is still planning on staying a "primary" judge.

t-rogdor 02-2-2016 04:02 PM

I mean hey, like I said a couple of pages back, if you guys need help I only work two days a week and spend most of my time on the computer anyway

psychoangel691 02-2-2016 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-rogdor (Post 4403326)
I mean hey, like I said a couple of pages back, if you guys need help I only work two days a week and spend most of my time on the computer anyway

Honestly helping get some reviews on the files in the public thing could help a lot. Dossar has it set right now where he wants at least 5 public judgements before a primary can give final approval.

I'm not heading up the hard songs batch so I idk if you could help over there or not that would be Dossar's thing.

OT I'm a little jumbled on and need to get my head on straight, but if something comes up that you can help me with I will shoot you a message :)

t-rogdor 02-2-2016 04:14 PM

I'll abstain from hard songs batch because i have a file in one of the 2 or 3 unfinished sections. That's dossar's baby anyway. I'll get at public review (knocked out one today!), and please do hit me up if there's anything you need for OT haha

psychoangel691 02-2-2016 04:16 PM

Awesome ^_^

Red Blaster 02-3-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeZe (Post 4403250)
Well I don't basically have any idea what I'm doing when I'm judging... :D

Judging is just looking at the file and using your experience as a player. If something feels odd, have a closer look and report what you found. I'd suggest you to have a look at Jan/Feb 2015 set 5. All but one in that set are around difficulty range 30.

Well I landed myself off from work today so I'll give it a shot

Edit: I have zero idea what I am actually looking at.
Perhaps a tl;dr breakdown please?